The Big Clean-up on the Morning-after Pattaya's Songkran Festival

webfact

The Big Clean-up on the Morning-after Pattaya's Songkran Festival

rubbish-6.jpg?4ad0a8

PATTAYA: -- With record numbers thought to have been in-attendance at the Pattaya Songkran Festival on Sunday, came a record amount of refuse which left the Pattaya Beach area resembling a war zone, at-least for a couple of hours until the area was sanitized.

50 cleaners from the Public Health Department were drafted in to remove the large amounts of refuse strewn across Pattaya Beach Road and along the 2.7km stretch of beach.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/185751/the-big-clean-up-on-the-morning-after-pattayas-songkran-festival/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-04-21

Wall to wall stinking garbage strewn all along the coast in Pattaya.

Don't these people believe in trash cans or cleaning up after themselves?

I drove along the beach yesterday and I have never seen so much garbage except in a landfill.

Thais are the least environmentally conscious people I have ever seen.

• Like 2

Wall to wall stinking garbage strewn all along the coast in Pattaya.

Don't these people believe in trash cans or cleaning up after themselves?

I drove along the beach yesterday and I have never seen so much garbage except in a landfill.

Thais are the least environmentally conscious people I have ever seen.

There are many places much worse.

• Like 1

I think the crux of the problem is the lack of rubbish bins. Half a dozen empty plastic drums along over 2kms does not cut the mustard. I find this is a problem over the entire length and breadth of Thailand. I guess its a case of "do not put out too many bins as we will have to empty more, meaning more work". I would have thought it easier in the long run to empty a few more bins than having to sweep the streets of rubbish. One day the people in charge may learn. Hope I can be alive long enough to see it. Probably only got another 30 years left in me. wai.gif

Quote Probably only got another 30 years left in me. wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAPURFBv7bp At age 77 I wonder whether I would want to live another 30 years. Like the communists I work on a 5 year plan and at 77 that is even stretching things.

• Like 1

This is the same in every city I know of - people come to town for an event, throw crap everywhere and go home. If TATs guesstimate of 200 million baht in income for the town is even vaguely accurate (how would they know anyway ?), I'm guessing the cleanup cost City Hall considerably less.

Most of the garbage bins I saw had been pressed into duty as water containers - little wonder kiddies were just leaving bottles etc strewn around the town. If this is the nastiest thing I see in Pattaya between now and my May departure date, I'll consider myself a very lucky man. Using this as an opportunity to engage in TV's two favorite sports - Thai bashing and Pattaya bashing - is nothing short of pathetic.

This cleanup should be done by the world famous thai bashers,shut your mouth and go out and do the job.

cheesy.gifclap2.gifw00t.gif

Not my town, although I live here full-time and leave during Songkran.

Not my place to tell people to shut their mouths, since I'm not in charge and it's not nice.

Not my place to tell people where to go to do, since the world doesn't revolve around me.

I can only take care of myself, try to be a nice person and show compassion for those less fortunate. I bypass trouble and unkind people.

As a comparison.......in the city where I am now, there was a football-championship celebration last weekend.........in 2 days (2 x 1/2 days actually) 100,000 people produced approx. 70,000 kg of garbage...........artificial teeth and sofa's included.

And that's supposed to be a civilized city offering accommodation to Philips, ASML and the HighTechCampus, but it's impossible to have so many bins for this amount of garbage..........not here, not in Pattaya, not where ever.

They do not have enough bins to dispose of the trash. Looking at the photo after the bin was full people put the trash next to the bin so give them credit for trying to put it into the bin. Happens to me for household trash, sometimes the bins are full, so I am forced to put my trash next to the bin.

I am also very positive about how they clean up after making a mess. The Lao dance parties have Zero bins, all the trash on the ground. The next morning it looks very bad, but by the afternoon it has been cleaned, stands taken down, stage moved and it is just an empty field again.

I remember in Amsterdam during the Kings Birthday party, walking out of the train station at 7am the next morning, all you could see was bottles and cans spread out on the streets for seemingly miles. The clean up crews had it all removed by the afternoon.

For those who complain, how many of you bring your own cup to Starbucks......

The problem is that terrorists hide bombs in trash cans so you don't see many around anymore. Even in malls the few you see are small and transparent so you can see everything inside.

Not sure of the answer except for less packaging and people to carry trash home.