Tropical storm warning for North and North East of Thailand

webfact

Tropical storms in North and North East of Thailand

BANGKOK, 21 April 2015 (NNT)-The Department of Meteorology has warned people of tropical storms expected to make landfall from now until the end of this week.

Meteorological Department Director General Wanchai Sakudomchai said Thailand will experience its hottest temperatures at the beginning of May.

Meantime, Northern and North Eastern residents have been warned to prepare for tropical storms and hail today. They are expected to be more aggressive than last week.

People living in Sukhothai, Nan, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Udonthani, Loei, Nong Khai and Nakhon Phanom provinces should exercise extra caution on the road.

The storms are caused by the arrival of a high pressure system from China. They will move toward the Central Plains of Thailand mid-week. The temperature in the country is likely to climb to 42 degrees Celsius.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-21 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Why do they insist on saying these storms are being created by high pressure systems.

High pressure is stable air, low pressure is unstable air. Storms are the arrival of low pressure air.

Actually, I believe, it is the meeting of the two.....not just one or the other.

We are currently covered by a low pressure system and very hot temperatures.

Cooler air from a high pressure system is moving in from China.

When this pressure system meets with the current low pressure system....bam.

Here is a good link that explains it.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/danger-from-tropical-storms-warned

this is a week old...but same applies for this week....same idea....two air masses meet

After the storm passes..you will notice a temperature difference...but only for a while

Edited by slipperylobster

I was in Mae Sai yesterday and was in the biggest and strongest rainstorm I have seen in Thailand and I have been here 7 years. Really unusual and arrived really quickly!

Unbelievable wind and rain, was enough to blow over motorbikes and even with truck wipers on full, could still not see to drive!

It was also very localised and concentrated and lasted for maybe half hour!

• Like 1

hrs 17,33 it is starting now over Chaiyaphum with thunder and a very little rain, But it feels like "foreplay".. I think it will really pour tonight.... and it is hot like hell here... But still better than Sweden, with +5 shitty degrees... I rather sweat than freeze..

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

I can never get my head around 'RealFeel'. Today it says its 35C, but RealFeel is 44C....so its 44 then, not fcking 35.

I think you need to read up on how Celsius is measured, then what the "ReelFeel" is about. You might mean that we should abandon °C and °F as temperature measurements altogether, and replace them with °R (ReelFeel) – which in a way would make sense. 35 °C still wouldn't be 44 °R, though.

Hit Kutchap, Udon Thani good and hard about 17:00. 30/40 minutes of hard rain and strong winds.

Roofs damaged or taken off, trees blown over, snapped, etc.

And no power (back on at 20:00)

No fore play here, straight in with wam bam.

Rain just started again (20:45). Don't want those winds again, I can live with the rain.

Had a quick drive round about 6pm, locals are clearing up and starting repairs....and smiling. Was surprisingly pleasant to see those smiles.

As far as I'm aware, no one hurt locally, thankfully.

Edit: Thanks for the link Shiver. Not read Viz in years.

Edited by sean in udon

I'm in Chiang Rai and am ready: the bigger the storm, the better. Just an added note on birthdays:

Today is John Muir's birthday, arguably America's greatest environmentalist, and the key player in getting Yosemite declared a National Park - one of the first in the US (after Yellowstone) and he set the tone for establishing national parks worldwide.

Yesterday was Adolph Hitler's b'day, and tomorrow in Julius Caeser's. Today is also Queen Elizabeth II's b'day and mine.

• Like 2

I can never get my head around 'RealFeel'. Today it says its 35C, but RealFeel is 44C....so its 44 then, not fcking 35.

I think you need to read up on how Celsius is measured, then what the "ReelFeel" is about. You might mean that we should abandon °C and °F as temperature measurements altogether, and replace them with °R (ReelFeel) which in a way would make sense. 35 °C still wouldn't be 44 °R, though.

Thanks for the info, 'R' does seem like better idea, especially when you see a forecast, and it says 34c, and then it says realfeel 44c (next saturday week in Korat) then i think what the <deleted>? Sort of breaks your spirit to read it. I'm not anywhere near an expert on the weather, so i will stand by your fine judgement....

Why do they insist on saying these storms are being created by high pressure systems.

High pressure is stable air, low pressure is unstable air. Storms are the arrival of low pressure air.

Because they don't know the difference.

• Like 1

Actually, I believe, it is the meeting of the two.....not just one or the other.

We are currently covered by a low pressure system and very hot temperatures.

Cooler air from a high pressure system is moving in from China.

When this pressure system meets with the current low pressure system....bam.

Here is a good link that explains it.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/danger-from-tropical-storms-warned

this is a week old...but same applies for this week....same idea....two air masses meet

After the storm passes..you will notice a temperature difference...but only for a while

You are right that both are required, however, It generally accepted that it is the arrival of the low pressure air that brings the storm. You won't get a storm when you are in a high pressure zone until the low pressure returns. If you are in a low pressure area, storms are possible. Hurricanes are massive low pressure systems.

From http://weather.about.com/od/pressureandtemperature/a/high_pressure.htm

Cooler air is dense and has more air molecules per unit of volume making it exert more pressure on the surface of Earth. Therefore, the weather in a high pressure zone is generally fair and cool. An approaching high pressure zone doesn’t cause the stormy weather associated with low pressure zones.