Strange Request.... Falconry

tolsti

This may well be an odd request but I am looking for an active falconer, preferably in Pattaya, who would be interested in flying his bird locally as a form of avian pest control on 2 high rise buildings.

This would not include killing the pigeons but actively scaring them and thus making them choose somewhere else to roost and nest.

Thanks for any help on this.

When I lived in Malaysia, I was given a stuffed eagle which I use very effectively to keep pigeons off the balcony by just leaving it visible.

Later, I had a buddy who used those cheap kids windmills on his balconies which did the trick.

These ideas might be practical if a falcon can't be found.

• Like 1

This might be a long shot... But there is a Thai person that has a falcon.

He lives just at the rear of Pom's Car Rental on Theprasit Road. Jomtien.

If you are heading down to Jomtien, Pom's rental place is on the left at the corner of a small soi where there is another small shop at the junction selling Aluminium Boats and outboard engines.

I saw the bird tethered there on a stand beside concrete tables and chairs at the back of Pom's place. I am not sure of the bird breed - Looked like the one's arabian people use. Fairly light coloured. You will need to take a Thai with you to translate I think.

• Like 1

Airports are using CD's hanging on string (along approach paths), so they can move and reflect light, with some success I believe.

A friend has a very realistic looking bird of prey, plastic I think, in his carport, and any birds that do fly in beat it so fast their wings are in danger of separating.

When I lived in Malaysia, I was given a stuffed eagle which I use very effectively to keep pigeons off the balcony by just leaving it visible.

Later, I had a buddy who used those cheap kids windmills on his balconies which did the trick.

These ideas might be practical if a falcon can't be found.

I made a life size copy of an eagle and attached it to my balcony to stop the little tiny birds from perching there and doing their business......it took them all of about 10 minutes to figure out it never moved and was no danger to them,.......cute little beggars, but you gotta love 'em.

I've got a plastic Owl on my roof. It doesn't work. They do in the UK. I put it down to the fact that the pideons around here never get to see a bird of prey as the jungle has been long gone. The real thing will work, that's for sure. If you do get a falconer to do the job let me know how it goes.