Prawit: Unelected Prime Minister 'not a big deal'

webfact

Who would or will Thais vote for in an election any way. There has been only one political voice thus far so who is the opposition party for Thais to vote for. The election when it does take place will be a done deal & you know what most Thais will be happy with that. Thailand has been under military rule more than civilian rule so this situation is normal & funnily enough life goes on for them.....IMO mae pen rai can be a good place to be sometimes. I also think that westerners think too much about things that they in reality are powerless to change any way. If governments want to do something it usually happens no matter what the people want......I'm not saying that people should just bend over & take it but people power rarely works even in western countries unless through violence that is........

Are you serious, or jesting? blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_axVntua

Mai pen rai? clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0Jv9FQa1M You fell for it already? thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7rcL3

I guess your glass is half-full and half-empty all the time but, as you say it; 'mai pen rai'. facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_3yf2

Maybe I have & maybe it is. Please tell us who are the other candidates, do you even know what they look like, what are their policies & how many Thais are asking these questions too???

He told reporters he believes MPs will not resort to appointing an unelected Prime Minister unless it is absolutely necessary to do so.

The ONLY reason such would be necessary is when those at the top don't like the people's choice of an elected PM. So this basically paves the way for the army and the elites to elect anyone they see fit and at any time. Democracy Thainess style.

IMO, Throughout the last XX years the army has stood back and observed the rampant corruption and mismanagent of the Thai economy by both sides of the Thai political fence. Of course the army is not perfect and free of corruption either, but at least they seem to addressing many issues previous governments wouldnt touch.

It never stops amazing me how seemingly intelligent westerners bang on with this "overthrowing a legitimate government" BS and demonising Thailand because of "no democracy", when very few countries worlwide will suffer a "democratically elected government" that runs their country to near ruin through mismanagement, corruption and downright contempt and disregard to the law.

I think youll find many countrys have measures to get rid of rogue governments one way or another should the occasion arise.

The difference is that such a thing rarely happens in those countries, since people with zero experience, zero qualifications and family links to criminals very rarely make it to the post of prime minister.

I know at least of one countrys history where a governor general sacked a democratically elected government. Theres nothing to say that country couldnt do it again if it had a government that didnt do as it was told. Then we would all have to call that country undemocratic as well!!

the clause is meant to "open a channel" for MPs to select an "appropriate or neutral" individual to serve as Prime Minister in the event of a political deadlock.

how glib...

if there is a political deadlock, the please imagine the MPs in parliament being able to agree to appoint an 'appropriate or neutral' individual...

This clause is there because it allows arm-twisting by the military and their allies in order 'to select an appropriate or neutral individual general'

And these guys continue to pretend that no one knows that they have no clothes...

MO, Throughout the last XX years the army has stood back and observed the rampant corruption and mismanagent of the Thai economy by both sides of the Thai political fence. Of course the army is not perfect and free of corruption either, but at least they seem to addressing many issues previous governments wouldnt touch.

It never stops amazing me how seemingly intelligent westerners bang on with this "overthrowing a legitimate government" BS and demonising Thailand because of "no democracy", when very few countries worlwide will suffer a "democratically elected government" that runs their country to near ruin through mismanagement, corruption and downright contempt and disregard to the law.

I think youll find many countrys have measures to get rid of rogue governments one way or another should the occasion arise.

The difference is that such a thing rarely happens in those countries, since people with zero experience, zero qualifications and family links to criminals very rarely make it to the post of prime minister.

I know at least of one countrys history where a governor general sacked a democratically elected government. Theres nothing to say that country couldnt do it again if it had a government that didnt do as it was told. Then we would all have to call that country undemocratic as well!!

100% agree with your views particularly with regards to the replacing of a dysfunctional YS Government by the military. Nothing else was going to get rid of her. Although they are possibly far from perfect the current mob appear to be tackling the job on many fronts. Whether for their own benefit or not that is another thing.

This is NOT a big deal This is how true parliament works . In Canada the population does not elect the Prime Minister He/She is appointed from the majority members of parliament.

Please people get your facts straight This is parliament. Actually this is the way the vast majority that have a parliamentary system work . If you want direct elections then form a

different union like the United States or others that vote directly. And even in the United States we do not directly vote for the President

Excuse me but it is a big deal. That's why it is just a big topic right now and you are saying this.

please explain why it is a big deal considering it would only take effect under extreme situations such as was seen last year when Thailand was at the brink of civil war

Firstly Thailand is still on the brink of civil war and secondly that brink was reached by a bunch of thugs led by Suthep in cohorts with the present military government. The trouble now is that previously the elite called on the army to coup and then put the general back in his box with a hefty wedge but now Prayuth does not want to go back in his box and appears to be on a power trip. So really he has got enemies on both sides. Maybe time for another coup by easy to rent disgruntled generals with an axe to grind. Army against army, let them shoot each other...make a change from shooting the public

This is NOT a big deal This is how true parliament works . In Canada the population does not elect the Prime Minister He/She is appointed from the majority members of parliament.

Please people get your facts straight This is parliament. Actually this is the way the vast majority that have a parliamentary system work . If you want direct elections then form a

different union like the United States or others that vote directly. And even in the United States we do not directly vote for the President

Are you sure about this? From what i understand if there is a 'stalemate' so to speak, the definition of which is yet to be decided and left open to interpretation, then any person can be selected as PM, Khun Somchai from SomTam off the street even? I may be completely wrong but that is how i understood it.

I've come to the conclusion that most Thais don't care. My in laws certainly don't. You get the government you deserve. They've never known a real democracy so they have no point of comparison. Interestingly after living in the US for some years now my wife is very upset about what is going on there.

I've come to the conclusion that most Thais don't care. My in laws certainly don't. You get the government you deserve. They've never known a real democracy so they have no point of comparison. Interestingly after living in the US for some years now my wife is very upset about what is going on there.

Sadly i agree, many people have been shafted for so long, they believe their position is at the bottom rung of the ladder and never question it, or if they do, they have no energy or understanding of how to even try changing anything. Not there fault really,its easy from a farang ivory tower to say this and that, but the system they come through simply does not develop thoughts like that.

MO, Throughout the last XX years the army has stood back and observed the rampant corruption and mismanagent of the Thai economy by both sides of the Thai political fence. Of course the army is not perfect and free of corruption either, but at least they seem to addressing many issues previous governments wouldnt touch.

100% agree with your views particularly with regards to the replacing of a dysfunctional YS Government by the military. Nothing else was going to get rid of her. Although they are possibly far from perfect the current mob appear to be tackling the job on many fronts. Whether for their own benefit or not that is another thing.

The army stood back for XX years, just watching?

Are we talking about the same Army and the same Thailand?

• Like 1

The army stood back for XX years, just watching?

Are we talking about the same Army and the same Thailand?

Well how many years was Mr T allowed to get away with his shinnanigans?

If the army really does have it in for the reds and is always conspiring against them, (as so many believe) why did they not get rid of them many years ago?

Surely with all the Mr T scandals in the past they could have found many reasons/occasions to oust him. It seems to me that the army stepped in to save what could have potentially been a civil war.

It could also be argued that the previous Thai charter and laws werent exactly democracy friendly, since pollies everywhere like to make laws that protect themselves and gain popularity with the rich and powerful. It didnt seem like the last few governments were going to change suit.

Actually IMO, I think Thailand is in a unique situation now, that lot of other countries could learn from.

At least this government has the power to actually make improovements and is using its time constructively, instead of pollies just sitting around bickering against each other, with opposition parties blocking any potentially good ideas for the future, simply because they dont want the ruling government to gain popularity