beggars/homeless people in thailand and how are they treated

Howitzer

Don't people know anything about Thailand?

Thais are beautiful, helpful, Buddhists that love each other and take care of each other when in need.

Thai rak Thai.

Just explain that rich Thais can help them more than you ever could, so they would be better off asking them.

Thai people will leave food and drink for there gods, Cause a spirit needs to be fed and watered. Homeless people get nothing.

You know nothing about Thai culture.

If a culture would rather feed a statue or a tree rather than a person, I have no wish to understand it.

Again you show limited knowledge of Thai culture get out of Pattaya a while find the real Thailand.

• Like 1

I've seen Thai people give money to beggars, think it's the same as any country. It's a numbers game like anything, a few hundred people walk past, 1 will give money.

If I have anything spare I will give, especially the ladies holding a baby, get's me every-time.

You will learn that some of these people 'rent' that baby from someone, been going to a certain Soi for over 15 years, same begger, different kids.......I never give her miney, she always acknowledges me because I always tell her in Thai the same thing - "I gave you money last year" The old guy with the big lump on the side of his face that sells watches, flowers maps, anything on Soi 4??? He was part owner of a Europaen Car Dealership that went under in '97 crash, three of his children are Doctors, he is readily recognizable,always draws his finger across his throat says . 'No Money, No Honey' and laughs - he doesn't need the money, he needs to be around Fulungs because they were his best customers 'back in the day'thumbsup.gif One posted said 'you know nothing of Thai culture' well I am sure he/she doesn't live in Bangkok...........Thai culture doesn't exist in Bangkok.coffee1.gif

The greatest bunch of beggars are treated with immense respect and wear a sort of yellowish coat...you can see them every morning and they make a hell lot of money...and even get food for free...some even made enough to buy a plane....

The colour is Saffron, not yellowish....!

Thanks for the enlightenment...

Ya beat me to it: But Websters says - "Saffron is a color that is a tone of golden yellow" so Crazy Chief is right.

Gave 20b to a 'blind' man singing once while his wife lead him along, he turned the corner, I did 20 seconds later, he was getting into his tuk-tuk, his wife in the back, he did a u-turn and drove off.

Last time I ever gave money to a Thai that asked for some.

Because, just like every other country, if one is bad, then they all must be?

I was watching two teenagers knock a football about on some waste ground in Chang Mai many years ago now. They even asked if I wanted to join in. Eventually, One put on sunglasses and a music box while the other led him by the arm. both of them were grinning from ear to ear.

And, no, i dont think all blind folk singing are scamming but some do take the p.ss.

• Like 2

Gave 20b to a 'blind' man singing once while his wife lead him along, he turned the corner, I did 20 seconds later, he was getting into his tuk-tuk, his wife in the back, he did a u-turn and drove off.

Because, just like every other country, if one is bad, then they all must be?

I was watching two teenagers knock a football about on some waste ground in Chang Mai many years ago now. They even asked if I wanted to join in. Eventually, One put on sunglasses and a music box while the other led him by the arm. both of them were grinning from ear to ear.

And, no, i dont think all blind folk singing are scamming but some do take the p.ss.

A few of them put on a good act.

Ever see the guy with no arms sitting outside Central World, holding his begging dish with his teeth? He has arms.

The 'worm beggar' crawling thru the filth, pushing his begging bowl along with his forehead? I've seen him get up and hop down the Soi on one leg. Fast too.

No doubt there are some smearing ketchup sauce on some of those bandaged up limbs.

Ever seen these Farangs sleeping on the beach of Pattaya?

Ever seen these Farangs hanging around the German charity office, completely drunk and waiting for some food?

They come from one of the richest countries in the world which is so proud of its welfare system, and it is Thai people that help them.

Edited by micmichd

On every thread that you post you have "stories" illustrating how awful Thai people are.

I'm beginning to think you just make them up.

Rest assured if someone is making money (begger) there's someone else exploiting it. For that reason I don't get involved in the scam. Also most of them are lazy and don't want to work. There are some millionaires amongst them. When they get close to me I them to <deleted> Off u lazy <deleted>. They don't deserve anything. Praying on people's good hearts is criminal.

Rest assured if someone is making money (begger) there's someone else exploiting it. For that reason I don't get involved in the scam. Also most of them are lazy and don't want to work. There are some millionaires amongst them. When they get close to me I them to <deleted> Off u lazy <deleted>. They don't deserve anything. Praying on people's good hearts is criminal.

"some else exploiting it" - you mean a bank ?

The beggars are hired from Burma and Cambodia and driven to work in the morning by van and picked up at night. They give part of their earnings to the beggar boss who recruited them and keep part.

There will always be "scammers" begging, and yes, in Thailand many of them "work" for organized crime.

There are also many legitimate, poor and handicapped who get no help from the government and do genuinely need help.

I disagree with statements some others have made here.. I do see many Thai people give money to those they believe are in need.

I, myself will make small donations.

Not too all, but I do to some, especially if children are involved.

Something I started doing in Mexico years ago, and sometimes do here in Thailand:

If a child is begging and I suspect they are being forced to ask for money, I will smile and walk on by.

I will go to the closest food vendor and purchase some food.

Then I return to the child and give them the food.

At least I can be fairly confident the child will eat.

In a country where there is no social system to assist the poor and disabled, someone needs to help, and in Thailand, many good people do help.

Unfortunately, I have read that the Thai government plans to "crack down " on begging soon.

If they do, they need to come up with a system that will help those legitimately in need.

There is a blind man plays the clarinet (misery stick) outside Silom Complex. I give him money to stop playing. It sometimes works. I guess he is not really begging, he is busking. I'm the one begging. Please stop playing that one tune over and over.

• Like 1

During my bar owner days, I had kind of an understanding with a pair of "musicians" (old couple, one of them blind if not pretending) who stopped in front of my place sometimes, that I would go outside to give them a small tip, and they moving on then straight away. Better than them staying a long time there annoying the customers, and maybe even going inside.