Help! Trying To Become Pilot For Thai Airways

As the topic say, i'm currently living in Canada,but i was born in thailand. i just got a Private Pilot Licence in Canada, and i was just wondering if anybody knows about any informations about becoming a new commercial pilot for Thai Always? What do i have to do in order to get the job?

I think step by step.

1. Obtain a ATPL (A) license.

2. Worry about the job after.

Your chances of being taken on with a new ATPL license with TG is very slim indeed so slim in fact I would forget about it until you have around 3000-5000 hours total (Jet Time)

Even then the amount of Ex Airforce (Thai) available limits your chances somewhat.

If it must be Thailand I would consider Bangkok Airways / PB / Nok / Air Asia (Thai)

I know some pilots work for free for Air Asia in return for experience - well not actually free but may as well be!

Really with a new ATPL (250hours) you need take any job you can ANYWHERE in the world and hopefully one day you will be able to obtain employment in your country of choice.

My only other tip is go with a JAA not FAA license it opens more doors in more countries - It is far more difficult exam wise and more expensive but believe me in the long run it will work in your favour.

PPrune.org has been recommended already good starting place.

oh...I gave up seeking a job in Thailand and got employment in another asian country even with 5000+ jet hours and type rated on a carriers aircraft...but then again I aint Thai :D

Good luck with the career choice.

There is a Thai cadetship program that ran about 6 months ago - however I am afraid you are not eligible not living in Thailand :o

Edited by dekka007

New pilots just don't get hired on with a major airline like TG unless that airline is desperate for pilots. What usually happens is that pilots have to build up their flight hours working for some small airline, such as PB Air or maybe Bangkok Airways like the other guy said. I dont think you would even get on with Nok Air since it's actually TG. Air Asia maybe you have a shot. Pilots have to work their ways up to the big boys. :o

I dont think you would even get on with Nok Air since it's actually TG

It is possible as recruitment / training / management is seperate from TG pilots hence the poorer pay and terms and conditions but not with 0 airline experience unless you are very lucky....as with a lot of jobs helps if you know someone on the inside.

At the end of the day I would secure a position with a Turboprop operator.

BKK Airways MAY consider you with a new ATPL and a ATR type rating (Which can be obtained in Bangkok). But it is an expensive gamble on the ATR rating which might not pay off.

If you have the cash after getting the ATPL(A) - The last resort would be a pay for a 737, A320 rating - but I MEAN last resort. I do not agree in the principle of paying for your own rating that should be the Airlines job but it may make you stand out from the crowd a bit.

Work for free, Work as an instructor, Spray Crops, Deliver Mail in Canada.....anything just stay in the air.

Edited by dekka007

You have to be a Thai citizen meaning you have to obtain a Thai ID card.

Have to serve the mandatory military consciption unless a waiver is obtained. :D

I have heard that if you have enought Baht you can buy your way out of the 2 year military stint?

Yes its true, another way to ge out of it is to have the right connection or show them you have undesirable sextual preference :o

Thanks for all the advies ppl. i want to know that eventhough i left thailand since i was 13 and left for 9 yrs already i still dun have the rights to live there eventhough i was born in thai? from what i remembered when i was young i used to fly to hongkong and lived there for some yrs, but then i still have the elgibillity to live in thai.

And also i will be interviewed by Cathy Pacific for the pilot position in the next couples month since its easier than getting into Thai Airways.

Start searching for high level contacts. I dont know anybody who got the cream jobs in TG without connections. Maybe they exist, but few and far between.

Know of one case a guy became B747 co-pilot virtually straight out of flight training. Dont happen too much in other countries as far as I know.

As the topic say, i'm currently living in Canada,but i was born in thailand. i just got a Private Pilot Licence in Canada, and i was just wondering if anybody knows about any informations about becoming a new commercial pilot for Thai Always? What do i have to do in order to get the job?

Start by getting more education,really i? :o:D:D