Driving Into Cambodia

wilko

on a serious note.. i drove throu all THOSE borders, on both malaysian & thai cars <BOTH MY OWN>>

ONLY 1 requirement, CANNOT drive rental car !

sweeter, than flying :o

ps: sorry 4 editing inside quote, not sure how 2 do it >> pls re-read original above !

Thanks for the most informative post so far.

Could you be more specific about where to buy insurance in the various countries or can you do it through your Thai insurance company.

Is it required for Cambodia , Laos , Malaysia , Singapore?

I know I was stating the obvious with a couple of the documents required ,just wanted to cover all :D

Cheers

ON THE BORDER, IN the country you drive into ! Actually , u don't have to :D.. except S'pore, where they'll FORCE you to buy one ! On the other hand, the thai immi on departure can be sufficiently helpful, as for what 2 do( preferably if u speak thai :D) .. i wasn't allowed into Myawwady(Mae Sot) 2 days ago,! thai immi told me to park there !, took my friends ,there, than we had 2 walk over the bridge, to find biig queue of pickups, so 'twas a good advise after all ..

hmm.. Wilko, by this time i doubt you are even serious about the whole thing . :o

simple as 1,2,3, u r in Chonburi.. fill up ur tank, 2 hour drive gets u to the border, visit customs office before immi.!. they'll give u piece of paper allowing u to take the car out of Thailand..

drive throu immi..

stamp urself into Cambo. ask , what you need to, pay//fill form 2 drive there .. drive around ,,

heck , when u get home in a day or 2, you can be the one posting the " Field report " ! simple as that !! i recon u can drive 2 Siem Riep & back same day on a 4 WD :D .. just keep a few small USD bills 2 keep cops happy along ur way :D

it's not like you're planning to drive to Sibearia.. it's barely 300 km away on any map !

thats how i'd do it myself anyway

Hi Asia...the theory is quite simple, as I've said before I'mm looking for someone who has practical experience

So...have you actually done this?

What about a carnet? Where do you get that from - the border or Bkk?

..... how or what part of my car will be ruined and why...are you an engineer.??? ....

The main mechanical problem you will have is excessive and repetitive force on the seals in your shock absorbers, particularly the front pair. Further is the Suspension bushes and then your steering alingment. Driving this road would be like constantly hitting the kerb of the road and then hitting speed humps.

As the forces from pot-holes are not directly in-line with the direction of travel, you can expect that these forces will alter the alignment of the front end.

Apart from that you can probably expect some twist in the chassis of your vehicle. To get an idea of how much stress will be constantly on the chassis of the vehicle, drive up and down a kerb or diagonally across a large speed hump with the drivers door slightly open and see the result.

Hope that helps.

So driving off sealed tarmac / concrete roads could lead to you having to change your shocks for some that weren't designed solely for picking your shopping up from emporium. :D

I get my wheels ballanced and aligned every other month so my car is nicer to drive when I do go to emporium. :D

Your chassis twists all the time , 100kmh round a bend , over a bridge , braking , rough roads etc. etc. all depends wether it has a plastic or elastic effect on the chassis. :o

Saloon cars are designed to be driven on nice flat roads giving the maximum comfort . 4WDs are big rough tough boys toys and should be treated as such.

Wilko should now take his 4WD to Siem Reap ASAP and post a FR back here ASAP and make some people look foolish for posting in this thread. If Wilko has a saloon car all bets are off and we know who the fool is :D

:D

Edited by percy2

I'm planning something that none of you lot have done....if you want to sit there on your spotty behinds

c'mon wilko , youre the one sitting around waiting for others to do all your homework for you.

contact your insurance company , contact the royal automobile club of thailand , contact the off road links you have been given. thats where the information will come from.

if the guys below managed to boldly go ....(before the internet or electricity etc.) , then it cant be so difficult to go on a 300km day trip , can it ? :o

Notable explorers since 950 A.D.

Erik the Red (950 - 1003) - Viking explorer. After being cast out from Iceland, he sailed to

Greenland and settled.

Leif Ericson (980 - 1020) - Norse explorer. The first European known to have discovered North America.

Marco Polo (1254 - 1324) - Italian explorer.

Zheng He (1371 - 1433) - Chinese explorer.

John Cabot (c. 1450 - 1499) - Italian explorer. Discovered Newfoundland and claimed it for the Kingdom of England.

Bartolomeu Dias (c. 1450 - 1500) - Portuguese explorer. He sailed from Portugal and reached the Cape of Good Hope.

Christopher Columbus (1451 - 1506) - Italian explorer. Sailed in 1492 and discovered the "New World" of the Americas.

Juan Ponce de León (c. 1460 - 1521) - Spanish explorer. He explored Florida while vainly trying to find the Fountain of Youth.

Pedro Álvares Cabral (c. 1467 - c. 1520) - Portuguese explorer, generally regarded as first European discoverer of the sea route to Brazil.

Vasco da Gama (c. 1469 - 1524) - Portuguese explorer. He sailed from Portugal to India by rounding the Cape of Good Hope.

Vasco Núñez de Balboa (c. 1475 - 1519) - Spanish explorer. The first European to cross the Isthmus of Panama and view the Pacific ocean from American shores.

Francisco Pizarro (c. 1475 - 1541) - Spanish explorer. Conquered the Inca Empire.

Juan Sebastián Elcano (1476 - 1526) - Spanish explorer. Completed the first circumnavigation of the globe in a single expedition after its captain, Magellan, was killed.

Ferdinand Magellan (1480 - 1521) - Portuguese explorer. Initiated the first circumnavigation of the globe in a single expedition. Sailed around Cape Horn and named Pacific Ocean. Died in the Philippines after claiming them for Spain.

Giovanni da Verrazzano (c. 1485 - 1528) - Italian explorer. Explored the northeast coast of America, from Newfoundland to about present day South Carolina.

Hernán Cortés (1485 - 1545) - Spanish explorer. Conquered the Aztec Empire for Spain.

Jacques Cartier (1491 – 1557) - French explorer. Discovered Canada.

Hernando de Soto (c. 1496 - 1542) - Spanish explorer. Explored Florida, mainly northwest Florida, and discovered the Mississippi River.

Francisco Vásquez de Coronado (c. 1510 - 1554) - Spanish explorer. Searched for the Seven Cities of Gold and discovered the Grand Canyon in the process.

Sir Francis Drake (c. 1540 - 1596) - English explorer. The first Englishman to sail around the world and survive.

Vitus Bering (1681 - 1741) - Danish explorer. Explored the Siberian Far East and Alaska and claimed it for Russia.

James Cook (1728 - 1779) - English naval captain. Explored much of the Pacific including New Zealand, Australia and Hawaii.

Jean François La Pérouse (1741–1788) was a French Navy officer and explorer whose expedition vanished in Oceania

Alexander von Humboldt (1769 - 1859) - German explorer and scientist whose work was foundational to the field of biogeography.

Captain Meriwether Lewis (1774 - 1809) - American explorer and field scientist who led the Lewis and Clark Expedition into the Louisiana Purchase and the Pacific Northwest in 1804-1806.

Robert Bartlett (1875 - 1946) - Newfoundland captain. Led over 40 expeditions to the Arctic, more than anyone before or since. Was the first to sail north of 88° N latitude.

Sir Edmund Percival Hillary (born July 20, 1919) - New Zealand explorer. The first to climb Mount Everest, was assisted by Tenzing Norgay.

Reinhold Messner (born 17 September 1944) - Italian mountaineer, first man to climb all the 14 peaks higher than 6000m.

Wally Wilko , european dreamer and offroading wannabe , who dreamed of a groundbreaking and daring expedition entailing a 300km drive over bumpy roads during the dry season. Unfortunately because he didnt know where to get a carnet from , the expedition was sadly abandoned , little is known of Wilko but it is believed he became an embittered and reclusive internet nerd , haranguing and abusing more knowledgable types on internet fora.

What about a carnet? Where do you get that from - the border or Bkk?

Ouchh.. :D why would u need carnet @ all :o !! unless u r driving 2 china or pakistan !! this IS ASEAN & neighboring country after all !! all u need is blue book which says u r the owner ! u may want 2 translate it 2 english(done in the same place u get ur DL & road tax ..) but it's probably won't be nesessary ! i've been to Aran thai customs & enquired , they told me no prob 2 drive into Cambo, the only question may b how far into the country they'll allow u to drive, up2 ur charms & moods of Cambo coppers really :D

Wilko, im right there with your moods on this post.

All youve asked for is if anybody has done the trip and some advice, and all these clowns have piped up with completely irellevant cr#p.

Anyway, i would be interested to go along with you. Maybe those above would approve of the pairing as when you chassis is twisted ill be able to pull you out!

I have driven the road before on a motorbike, to Siem Reap, through to Battambang, on to Phnom Penh, , down to Sihanoukeville then up to Kratie and back, and had a wonderful and sometimes perturbing experience. (Riding your Honda Baja onto a small boat to be pushed across river tributaries by small kids in the water is kinda special and nerve wracking!). Its bad, but its just like a long off road course. I wouldnt attept alone in the rainy season, but with some backup at any other time of year, while you may not be fine, you will definately have a lot of fun.

A winch might be a good thing, as last time i was on the road, a couple of the bridges posed problems.

Drop me a PM if you wanna talk about it.

Regards.

Wez

Intrepid Explorer of dirt roads by motorcycle. (i even gave a guy in green, carrying an AK a ride up the road for his dinner!) Does that warrant a place on Taxexiles list?

Does that warrant a place on Taxexiles list?

it was the op's arrogance ( in suggesting that unless you are living an indiana jones style life then you are a lazy goodfornothing) that prompted my reply.

a road trip to siam reap in an airconditioned 4wd might not be without risk of punctures , piles , and a broken exhaust , but it is hardly extreme adventure calling for hard to come by reserves of mental and physical fortitude.

at best he will complete his 300kilo drive , i hear the road from the border to siam reap will be finished by the middle of next year , at worst he will get his car stolen or get shaken down due to incorrect paperwork.

Which is why I asked for the correct paperwork not the kind of drivel that some people on this posting have supplied....

And I don't need a military manual on repairing a Unimog; I'm not preparing to invade Cambodia, just a quick visit to Siam Reap. I have no intention of going in the rainy season, and I don't have a colostomy bag that I'm scared of rupturing

not the kind of drivel that some people on this posting have supplied

I don't need a military manual on repairing a Unimog

I'm not preparing to invade Cambodia

I don't have a colostomy bag that I'm scared of rupturing

in spite of your arrogance , and my needless heckling , i honestly do hope you have an enjoyable and trouble free journey.

p.s. dont forget an icebox for your sandwiches and a thermos for your cuppa tea !

taxexile. :o

No one has mentioned heading down to the dept of land transport at Mor Chit...where you get your licenses in BKK.

There is an office there which issues what presumably is a carnet, as well at the 'T' stickers for your car.

I know I have to go there and get the 55baht carnet to take the car out of the country, presumably, while you are picking it up you can also ask about what is needed to drive to Cambo!

My Understanding, that seems to be enforced at Chom-Chon/Osmasch is you must have the Taibein Rot or the Car registration Papers.

I am planning to go to Siamreb maybe Jan-Feb next year on a motor bike. They are cheap and if necessary you can walk away from them :o

:o:D:D

i can see everyone is serious intrepid xxxplorer on this thread .. as 4 me , i'm off 2 Cambo first thing 2mrw mornin :D & what i know the road is nice now , as long as u enter frm Poipet .. would b fun 2 check this thread out in a few days , when i back , look fwd 2 some more good laughs ..

...... 4WDs are big rough tough boys toys and should be treated as such.....

You may want to take a closer look at some of the vehicles in this country passed off as 4WD. Some of them look more fragile than a small family saloon.

Which is why I asked for the correct paperwork not the kind of drivel that some people on this posting have supplied....

And I don't need a military manual on repairing a Unimog; I'm not preparing to invade Cambodia, just a quick visit to Siam Reap. I have no intention of going in the rainy season, and I don't have a colostomy bag that I'm scared of rupturing

wilko, rather I was contrasting what happens with a heavy duty army truck than a "Big Boys toy". One would expect the stresses on a light 4wd (Pickup) to be greater.

The first 75km of the road from Osmasch to Siam Reb was what I was talking about.

wilko, rather I was contrasting what happens with a heavy duty army truck than a "Big Boys toy". One would expect the stresses on a light 4wd (Pickup) to be greater.

The first 75km of the road from Osmasch to Siam Reb was what I was talking about.

hmm..my friend worked in Osmach & drove his old camry, Osmach PhnomPehn , many times,6 hrs.. no big damage,.. Khutan , pls. tell me WHEN hav u been on ThaT road ?!?

Mostly 1991, 1992 and 1993, I also travelled it in I think also a Corona or a Camry in 2003. Just an aweful road. I paid a local guide, I think $100- USD to take us there and back.

There is a better road to go south on from the Baan Kruat Rd. Once you cross the Boarder at Osmasch, you need to turn North East to pick up tho "Other Road", rather than travel south west.

To find the other road, you may want to look for the road junction heading south at 14.334242N and 103.307150E You would join that road from the South east

Have a nice Trip, and as a tip, if you have any friends or family that speak the local version of Khmer, take them with you, it will make the trip so much more fun.

Mostly 1991, 1992 and 1993, I also travelled it in I think also a Corona or a Camry in 2003. Just an aweful road. I paid a local guide, I think $100- USD to take us there and back.

There is a better road to go south on from the Baan Kruat Rd. Once you cross the Boarder at Osmasch, you need to turn North East to pick up tho "Other Road", rather than travel south west.

To find the other road, you may want to look for the road junction heading south at 14.334242N and 103.307150E You would join that road from the South east

Have a nice Trip, and as a tip, if you have any friends or family that speak the local version of Khmer, take them with you, it will make the trip so much more fun.

Ouch , Thanks anyway , Poipet IS the way to go ! but really LOTSA things changed since ! give another 15 ys, i bet Cambodia is going 2 catch up with Thailand, if development goes , as it does these days :o

• 4 weeks later...

Right,

I was actually down at Dept of Land transport at Mor Chit this morning renewing the tax sticker on my car, and I strolled up to the second floor of building two and asked about getting the papers I'd need to drive to Laos and Malaysia (I'm in the mood for a couple of road trips - just gotta convince the wife!).

Anyway, news is, Thailand does NOT have an agreement with Cambodia which will allow the Dept of Land Transport to issue with the necessary papers to take your car into Cambo....

Good news is, that you can easily get a car passport which will allow you to drive into Laos and Malaysia though (the cost for both was 75 baht!!).

You'll need to go to the second floor of building 2 and get the correct form off the front desk at the top of the stairs.

They'll then direct you to booth 35 where you hand in the paperwork.

You'll need:

-ID of the car owner (Passport or Thai ID)

-Proof of address of the owner (Tabieen baan, or in the case of a foriegner I'd assume a letter from immigration or the embassy would be best).

- the blue book for the vehicle you are taking.

Not sure if you can take motor bikes or not...sorry, didn't ask, but I can't see why you couldn't.

Anyway, you get a seperate book for each of the countries you are going to. The Malaysian one is in English, and the Lao one will be in Thai.

Now I'm betting there is a carnet that you can get somewhere there too - sorry, I didn't ask - I'm assuming cross continental driving isn't popular in Thailand - but you can start by asking on level 7 of the building where they issue drivers licenses.

I went from Poipet to Siem Reap TWICE this year. Once in a bus from Khao San Road...LONG trip, awful...300 baht but it's #*#^@. You left at 7:30AM and arrive at 9:00PM. Roads were ok in APRIL. I went back 3 weeks ago (OCTOBER), knowing that I shouldn't take the same trip. We went in car but my gf was afraid to break her new car (not mine...hers!). We parked at the border (200 baht per day...expensive!, so park at an hotel, farther...if you want to save money and take a tuk tuk) and walked to cross the border. Now, I didn't want to take a bus in Poipet because of the last time but I actually think they are OK if you don't have a package with a cie in BKK who tries to rip you off with expensive food, guesthouse, etc. They told me a bus takes 4 and a half from Poipet-Siem Reap...but these are not as nice as in Thailand.

Take a look at my website, in the picture sections, from some videos of the buses:

h t t p : / / sebastien DOT korat farang DOT com

Can't write my website in one line but you can figure it out? no? :o

We rented a cab, Poipet-Siem Reap.... 3 hours and a half approx... The road was THE SAME AS OCTOBER. Not nice, but OK. You can go by car but go slowly.....But those Toyota Camry taxi go fast, no problem...and it was 35$ US only. If you are 2, you share !!!! Some people pay 40$ US for a car..you can bargain. We came back in Bus from Phnom Penh. The road from Phnom Penh to Sisophon is nice, the bus is good.... but again, Sisophon to Poipet is a mess!!!!!!!! If I remember, Phnom Penh to Poipet was from 7AM to 3PM....approx.

Edited by Sebastienenchine