CA 125 Tumour Marker

Aussieroaming

Hi

My wife had a blood test this week and she tested slightly above the recommended maximum range for CA125, which is the tumour marker for Ovarian Cancer. I was wondering whether anyone can offer some advise as to whether she should get a referral to an oncologist or whether a general GP should be able to suggest follow up testing. She also had blood present in her urine sample.

Thanks if anyone has been in this situation and has some advise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry nobody has replied, and maybe you have had this sorted out by now. This must have made you both really worried. Ca-125 is not a very good screen on it's own ovarian cancer, and most women with a mild rise like your partner's do not have cancer but something like fibroids. If you google it there are lots of patient information sites discussing it but perhaps they are not comfortable reading if they're going on about cancer. Try this one http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=8099&page=4

I suggest she makes an appointment with a good gynaecologist for a repeat test and a scan if it's still raised. Hope it all settles down.

As above, many things can cause elevation in CA-125, and a mild elevation in particular is unlikely to reflect ovarian cancer. She should have a check up by a gynecologist (which women should have regularly in any event) .

I would actually be more concerned about the blood in the urine unless she was (or had recently been) menstruation, or had had sex the night before the test. In any case a repeat urinalysis as well as internal exam is warranted.