Three taxi drivers fined and suspended

webfact

Three taxi drivers fined and suspended
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE Land Transport Department has swiftly punished three taxi drivers - two for charging Japanese passengers more than their meter-based fares and the other for abandoning his passengers.

The three drivers, who all picked up passengers from Suvarnabhumi Airport, were slapped with a fine and 30-day suspension of their driver's licence.

"Laws require that taxi drivers collect fares based on the meter system. They just can't demand whatever amount they want," the department's director-general Theerapong Rodprosert said yesterday.

His department has investigated the actions of Nirut Phosri and Panomyong Kaew-ammart after a social-media post complained about taxis from the airport charging passengers a flat fee - not fares based on distance and time of the ride, on April 18.

"We investigated further and located the offending drivers," Theerapong said.

He said Nirut and Panomyong had admitted that they demanded Bt600 and Bt550 per ride from Japanese passengers.

Both Nirut and Panomyong were thus fined Bt1,000 and their taxi licences suspended.

Kongsak Kaenrat, another taxi driver, also has to pay a Bt1,000 fine and will have his driver's licence suspended for 30 days after he abandoned passengers on a motorway on April 15.

Theerapong said such offences had affected public confidence in taxi services and harmed the image of Thailand.

He urged people to help monitor the behaviour of taxi drivers via the DLT Check in application.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Three-taxi-drivers-fined-and-suspended-30258542.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-23

• Like 2

3, That's all you Got...

Be grateful! That's 3 more then the previous gov made happen. I do not think loss of license will stop them from driving their taxis though.. That little card is just an inconvenience to most Thai drivers.

My last trip to Bkk I flagged a taxi at MBK and he tried to get me to accept his offer of 300 baht with no meter. I refused and tried to get him on camera before he sped away. The real fare was only 142 baht using a meter.

I think it will take a very long time before these drivers are taken off of the road.

Maybe TAT should make brochures and give them to all tourists prior to getting off of the plane telling them to never accept a taxi without using the meter and a hotline for English speakers that they can call for help if a driver demands this and they are already in the taxi

• Like 2

I had a driver from the airport demand a flat fee to On Nut, and after I refused and began to walk away he agreed to use the meter. And then he drove me halfway around Bangkok so that the meter registered the flat rate he wanted to charge me. Moral of the story: if they agree to use the meter after first not doing so, still walk away.

• Like 2