Tropical storms wreak havoc in Thailand

webfact

"A tour bus heading for Bangkok from Ubon Ratchathani also skidded off the road during heavy rainstorm, injuring more than 40 passengers in Prakonchai district of Buriram province before dawn Thursday.

Slippery road surface during heavy rain was blamed as the cause."

Poor driving by the bus driver, who failed to operate his bus according to the prevailing dangerous conditions (heavy rain) . Speeding along on flooded roads will always have the potential for a mishap....................unless of course the brakes conveniently fail.

If the rain was anything like as bad as when it hit Lamphun, the driver should be prosecuted for putting passenger lives at risk by driving when he couldn't see. A few car accidents around Lamphun, but anyone that kept driving in those conditions was asking for it.

3 days after the storm in Lamphun, felled trees still there and broken roofs not fixed. The rooms under would be uninhabitable after the heavy rain a couple nights ago. Obviously there is no such thing as a disaster plan here.

Only thing that seems to have been fixed promptly is the power, and that's not down to the local council- just as well or we still wouldn't have any.

A tour bus heading for Bangkok from Ubon Ratchathani also skidded off the road during heavy rainstorm, injuring more than 40 passengers in Prakonchai district of Buriram province before dawn Thursday.Slippery road surface during heavy rain was blamed as the cause.facepalm.gif

Nothing to do with the driver not driving to conditions, just slippery road was to blame.. Thai Drivers they drive in a storm same as it was a sunny day no idea of the dangers....They should start teaching Driver's Ed in schools.....

Your post is confusing. Don't know if you are blaming the driver or the road.

Whatever, it WAS the driver's fault, unless another vehicle drove him off the road or a tree fell on the bus.

I can't tell if it's going to rain or this is pollution here in Jomtien this morning. Usually can see the islands and beach but this morning can't see much.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1429935053.468449.jpg

That looks like up here a lot. Many days I think it's going to rain but it doesn't.

I take a poncho on the m'bike whenever I go out, and always carry a foldup umbrella, just in case.

22 power pylons destroyed in Pattaya sukhumvit soi 89, 30 hours later the PEA had erected 22 new ones and the power was restored.

So we know now there is at least one good utility company in Thailand.

Well done PEA!

The question is, will those hastily put up sticks fall down next time there's a mild sea breeze. I for one will be wary driving down that soi.

22 power pylons destroyed in Pattaya sukhumvit soi 89, 30 hours later the PEA had erected 22 new ones and the power was restored.

Well done PEA!

The question is, will those hastily put up sticks fall down next time there's a mild sea breeze. I for one will be wary driving down that soi.

There are many power poles in my area that do not have supporting wires, despite needing them. Right across the road there is one that only stands because the electricity wires stop it falling over.

Given that trees are never trimmed around power lines, it is just as well wind storms are few.

Well done PEA!

There are many power poles in my area that do not have supporting wires, despite needing them. Right across the road there is one that only stands because the electricity wires stop it falling over.

Given that trees are never trimmed around power lines, it is just as well wind storms are few.

In the case of Soi Tanman (Suk 89), I just drove there yesterday and saw some of the failed concrete pylons still lying on the ground were snapped in two, with the iron rebar sticking out clearly bent and broken. I suspect they were shoddy quality to begin with.

PEA up and running after 30 hours despite the devastation, True Internet needless to say took 5 days to get their system restored. (3BB back in 3 days I believe)

Phoned them everyday to check progress and every day they promised it would work that evening....lies after lies.

So True needs to rename themselves: "UNTRUE INTERNET SERVICES" !!

"A tour bus heading for Bangkok from Ubon Ratchathani also skidded off the road during heavy rainstorm, injuring more than 40 passengers in Prakonchai district of Buriram province before dawn Thursday.

Slippery road surface during heavy rain was blamed as the cause."

Poor driving by the bus driver, who failed to operate his bus according to the prevailing dangerous conditions (heavy rain) . Speeding along on flooded roads will always have the potential for a mishap....................unless of course the brakes conveniently fail.

If the rain was anything like as bad as when it hit Lamphun, the driver should be prosecuted for putting passenger lives at risk by driving when he couldn't see. A few car accidents around Lamphun, but anyone that kept driving in those conditions was asking for it.

3 days after the storm in Lamphun, felled trees still there and broken roofs not fixed. The rooms under would be uninhabitable after the heavy rain a couple nights ago. Obviously there is no such thing as a disaster plan here.

Only thing that seems to have been fixed promptly is the power, and that's not down to the local council- just as well or we still wouldn't have any.

Trees were removed by a wood company that only took the saleable wood and left all the debris. Someone did fix the broken roof near our house though.

I doubt the debris will ever be removed, just left to rot. Sometimes they make it very difficult to love Thailand.

Well done PEA!

The power company replaced a broken pole, but connected the supporting wire to a tree across the road! My mind is boggled constantly here.