Tot Adsl Unreliable Last Couple Of Days

Potter

TOT ADSL down in Pattaya since last night. Can not resolve DNS. Anyone else have this prob?

Yeah, had exactly this problem this morning. Called them - I always immediately call customer service 1100 - they said yes, they had a problem. Half an hour later it worked again.

It was pretty strange though - my VPN connected fine so the problem was exclusively resolving DNS.

Pai, Mae Hong Son province.

TOT ADSL down in Pattaya since last night. Can not resolve DNS. Anyone else have this prob?

Had the same problem that night.Strange however P2P worked but internet browsing not.Any explanation for that?

Yes, DNS resolution is different from internet connection. Each connection has a DNS server which maps names -> numbers. For example, Google.com == 64.233.187.99.

If the DNS server does not work, then names can't be mapped to numbers and you can't access any server by name, so typing Google.com in the browser would not work. You can still access numbers directly though so you could type "64.233.187.99" into the browser and get to Google.

P2P and a few other things use IP addresses to do their work so they are not affected by a DNS server outage and continue as usual. My company VPN for example connects to an IP address so it's also not affected by DNS outages.

If DNS servers are down you can specify free DNS servers in Windows' TCP/IP settings and continue surfing. Haven't done that though, don't know where to find them etc - I am also wary of hacked DNS servers which could do all kinds of bad things to my machine, like redirect my banking site to a phishing site etc...

Edited by nikster