Suvarnabhumi taxis threaten to protest Friday

Thaivisa News

I don't see why they just don't let the very low rates move up a bit. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a safe happy trip.

you gunna pay for my happy ending trip also ? what you do not mind is spending other peoples money, if the taxi is to big, fuel to much, work to hard, insurance cost to much, go get a better job....nuff said :-)

this mini van with only 4 persons is <deleted> [unless thats the cheapest minimum insurance possible then i would believe it ]

mini vans can carry 12 people [or as many fitted seating there is usable , legally]

they can also be insured for 12 persons also

maybe they need a TOT licence to get that insurance coverage [ i know this is the case for some mini vans whom i know ]

they should be able to adjust the meteres to each vehicle depending on engine size anyway

its not rocket science

let them strike as others have posted

bigger car uses more petrol, cost more

you should all know

i find this request reasonable

the price paid should be pro rate to the service

in many cities taxi charge extra for big baggage's

it should be regulated and metered

this mini van with only 4 persons is <deleted> [unless thats the cheapest minimum insurance possible then i would believe it ]

mini vans can carry 12 people [or as many fitted seating there is usable , legally]

they can also be insured for 12 persons also

maybe they need a TOT licence to get that insurance coverage [ i know this is the case for some mini vans whom i know ]

they should be able to adjust the meteres to each vehicle depending on engine size anyway

its not rocket science

let them strike as others have posted

They are not talking about mini vans they are talking about SUVs'....

Thairung taxis..they are based on the Toyota Vigo or Isuzu Dmax pickup..

Personally I think for airport taxi's this is the size to have..

post-195835-14298930958819_thumb.jpg

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

"Patthawee said over 1,700 drivers of mini-van taxis at the Suvarnabhumi airport would stop picking up passengers at the airport from Friday to Sunday to highlight their demands."

Great news.

How can we encourage this group to strike for a longer period?

did not think they had that amount of mini van drivers at the airport

Seems ok to me to have a limit on number of pax and amount of baggage per taxi....some people travel with tons of luggage and i sure don't blame a taxi driver for expecting to be paid more for dealing with these types....and exactly how many passengers should be allowed to cram into one vehicle? four six eight ten? Should one person with ten bags be charged the same as one person with one bag? How about 4 pax in a small taxi and each has two bags? Safe? I don't think so.

Obviously there does need to be some limits as no doubt some demanding "quality tourists" will whine and moan and berate the taxi driver because he refuses to turn his taxi into a bus or moving van.

bigger car uses more petrol, cost more

you should all know

i find this request reasonable

the price paid should be pro rate to the service

in many cities taxi charge extra for big baggage's

it should be regulated and metered

"regulated and metered"? I thought they were already regulated - that's why they have to have a taxi operator's licence? I thought they were already metered - that's why it says "Meter Taxi" on the top!

There are a few things I will not be doing when I visit Thailand the first of them NOT Taking a Taxi from the airport I will have a car waiting for me to drive. The second will be keeping away from the tourist traps that enjoy charging foreign tourists 100s% more that the normal price.

Dear God..

Are people still using taxis to Pattaya?

Buss from Pattaya to airport costs 150bht and picks up at 5 spots and goes every hour. Buss that picks you up at desired location from Pattaya to airport costs 250 bht.

The airport taxis drivers are basically upset because they cannot rip off the newly jet lagged tourist that just arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport. Besides, most tourists (from developed countries ) will give them a tip and if you don't, they have the "eggs" sometimes to ask for one. Since the new "government" took over a year ago, it is a breeze to walk out of the arrival hall, walk straight to the taxi counter outside door 4, say where you're going, the price is written down...and off you go. Almost like being in Singapore so efficient.

Before last year when the various thugs, leeches, crooks preying on the tourists that just arrived at the airport were allowed to stand in the arrival -greeting section to offer their driving services, it was a zoo. Now when I land at Suvanabhumi Internatiional Airport it is as if I have really landed in a developed country - not in some poor desperate developing country where the vultures and hyeanas are ready to attack you.

Testy lot these taxi drivers! Cannot wait for Transport Ministry to raise fares in June. Typical of so many, they have no respect for the law and want to flex their industrial muscle (even though their case is under consideration) AKA bully boys. A small increase in charges may be justified but they will still play their silly games of threatening passengers, not using meters and so on, unless passengers pay more than the set fees. I have had some honest and good drivers (they get a decent tip) but I have also had some crooked ones. All their bleating about insurance and laws covering the numbers allowed to be carried etc., who would believe them? whistling.gif There is not much honesty in some segments of Thai society, especially when it come to dealing with tourists. And the various "authorities" seem not to have any will to enforce the laws. Plenty of talk (gum bashing as usual) and little action! coffee1.gif About time for the military to kick some butts I think!

I don't see why they just don't let the very low rates move up a bit. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a safe happy trip.

It may be "cheap" for us farangs, but not for Thais who probably make up 99% of the people that use taxis in Bangkok. Most of the lower wage earners in Bangkok, can't afford to use the BTS or MRT, much less taxis.

A baggage fee?

Why stop there?

What about a passenger fee?

A "going to the airport"-fee.

A 'taking-you-where-you -want -to-go"- fee!

A "pick- you-up-late-at-night"- fee?

For forks sake: you are TAXIS!

Baggage fee mein Arsch!

The Thais are what they are... and the taxi drivers are the worst of the worst...

• Like 1

How about a no baggage space reduction!

I have never been happy after queueing for one of these guys to find my suitcase won't fit in the trunk/boot because of a ruddy great gas tank.

They are airport taxis and should be able to carry bags, there is a surcharge!

The mindset of so many in Thailand. "We want to charge more for extra passengers and luggage"???? You couldnt make it up really. The arrogance of the taxi scum !

Edited by kingalfred

There are a few things I will not be doing when I visit Thailand the first of them NOT Taking a Taxi from the airport I will have a car waiting for me to drive. The second will be keeping away from the tourist traps that enjoy charging foreign tourists 100s% more that the normal price.

So basically u plan to be locked up in your room during your stay?

Baggage fee is absolutely ridiculous.

The mere fact that there are many many thousand cabbies in BKK means it is a rewarding job. As corruption seems to be a way of life for many in the Kingdom, the idiots will not be stopped from conning the customers. Only severe punishments will scare off the many bad guys in the job. Get a working airport rail link. Make the cabbies compete with fair transport.

The fact about too many taxis means it is an UNrewarding job.

Strike guys then if things don't work out as you think they should sneak back with your tail between your legs, that said i do agree with a passenger charge of 20bht per over 3 then the BIG cabs would get a small surcharge if they are insured for 5 or more, but they won't be satisfied with that and will start their little scams again

How about in Pattaya/Jomtien, I would bet that 98% of the meters have never even been turned on.

Well,if they can strike,so can you.People Power is the way to go.There must be thousands of Pattaya/Jomtein residents on this and other forums.Just pick a week where nobody goes in a taxi unless metered.No meter,no go,can be your mantra.But this wont happen because we are our own worst enemy and there will be scabs.Go on give it a go.Get local media involved.Khon Thai may appreciate what we are doing.If i lived there i would organize it.

Bring back the airport buses that used to run from the airport during the 3 day strike and keep them there.

Great bus service to The Don.I got off at Skytrain at Chatuchuk and started walking towards taxi.Before i got there.a woman said airport,i heard a swishing sound as a bus door open,on my right.Walked straight in and choose a seat,didnt even break stride.Dropped outside terminal.Will try the reverse in a couple of weeks.

Dear God..

Are people still using taxis to Pattaya?

Buss from Pattaya to airport costs 150bht and picks up at 5 spots and goes every hour. Buss that picks you up at desired location from Pattaya to airport costs 250 bht.

Only good if you travel during the hours they operate. And best if you live near the bus stops and are a solo traveler. Traffic is pretty bad here now. And for 2 people, it's not that much more to have the taxi stop at your house....

How about in Pattaya/Jomtien, I would bet that 98% of the meters have never even been turned on.

I recently had a disagreement with the fare the taxi driver wanted to take me to Pattaya.

Cutting a long story short he ended up using the meter and it was THB1300 to the point highway 7 met Sukhumvit (exc tollway fees).

Nice to know anyway.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Patthawee said over 1,700 drivers of mini-van taxis at the Suvarnabhumi airport would stop picking up passengers at the airport from Friday to Sunday to highlight their demands."

Great news.

How can we encourage this group to strike for a longer period?

Go right ahead and strike.

Doesn't bother me, my small hotel in Bkk will pick me up and take me back to the airport (DM) for 180Baht each way plus tollway fees.

Pleasant young driver, always helpful with any luggage, drives carefully. If he gets a phone call he pulls over before he answers or returns the call / waits until he's off the expressway then pulls over and returns the call.

Plus from May 1 I will use the All Thai Taxi (Nakorn Chai Air) service if needed.

If its all Thai,how do ypu get a lookin.You have your own taxi,just look for the I LOVE FARANG sticker.xoxo.

They also want a higher surcharge because their taxis are larger and they can carry more bags than normal taxis.

Wouldn't that be a good idea for Thai Airways? We got bigger (empty) planes than Air Asia hence we increase the price.

And the powerful TAT stays put on this issue?

​Why not threaten any cabby to get his license revoked if he takes part in this hostage situation. There are thousands of unemployed Thais to take over their jobs.

Looks like the dear leader can't bring happiness to the people unless the greedy cabbies are happy.

Rubbish,do you thing just anybody knows their way around Bangkok.Taxis have taken me to some obscure places,their knowledge is very good.

Edited by louse1953

They also want a higher surcharge because their taxis are larger and they can carry more bags than normal taxis.

Wouldn't that be a good idea for Thai Airways? We got bigger (empty) planes than Air Asia hence we increase the price.

And the powerful TAT stays put on this issue?

​Why not threaten any cabby to get his license revoked if he takes part in this hostage situation. There are thousands of unemployed Thais to take over their jobs.

Looks like the dear leader can't bring happiness to the people unless the greedy cabbies are happy.

Rubbish,do you thing just anybody knows their way around Bangkok.Taxis have taken me to some obscure places,their knowledge is very good.

Scumbags all of them. only a small % know their way around ( unless they want to scam you)

I recently visited South Korea, there they are very strict with the four passenger rule. Police will stop and fine the taxi if there are more than four passenger. As we where 6 people we had to have two taxis wherever we went.

What another joke. I thought everything was settled a couple of years ago, now they want more and more and more of course.

Sounds like a slight touch of greed here. Why don't we introduce Uber taxi system like in the states and let anyone drive that's insured?

This is mafia max monopoly madness. Here's my proposal; let's all just start taking the Skytrain and boycott these idiots for say, maybe one day or two, then they'll shut the &lt;deleted&gt; up and be thankful for the lucrative business they have now. And if I do take a cab, the dang well better take the shortest route to my destination and avoid the jewelry gem shop enroute!