Families of death row inmates, fearing worst, head to Indonesia

webfact

Families of death row inmates, fearing worst, head to Indonesia
Agence France-Presse
JAKARTA

JAKARTA: -- Relatives and diplomats scrambled Friday to visit several foreign drug convicts on death row in Indonesia as authorities, defying international outrage, made final preparations to execute them.

Indonesia has advised consular officials to go to Nusakambangan -- the high-security prison island where executions are carried out -- this weekend, with family members preparing to make the same journey.

Chinthu Sukumaran, whose brother Myuran is one of two Australians facing death by firing squad, was making last-minute arrangements to leave for Jakarta.

"I can’t believe this is it. We still haven’t given up hope," he told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Michael Chan, whose brother Andrew faces death too as a fellow ringleader of the "Bali Nine" heroin trafficking gang, was also heading to Indonesia, the newspaper said.

Consular staff assisting a Brazilian convict were told by Indonesian authorities to be in Cilacap, the port town nearest Nusakambangan, on Saturday.

Lawyers for the two Australians were to meet Australian embassy officials in Cilacap Saturday as Canberra said it was "gravely concerned" at the signs that the executions are drawing near.

"Our ambassador in Jakarta is currently engaged in making a series of representations," Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs told AFP in a statement.

Ten convicts -- from Australia, France, Brazil, the Philippines, Nigeria, Ghana and Indonesia -- being held on the penal island all face execution after losing appeals for presidential clemency.

Mary Jane Veloso, a Filipino maid whose two sons aged 12 and six have come to spend her final hours with her, was transferred Friday morning under heavy police guard to Nusakambangan, sparking protests in Manila.

"Indonesian government has ordered all prisoners up for execution with or without pending appeals to be transferred to the island including Mary Jane Veloso," Philippine foreign affairs spokesman Charles Jose said.

"Lawyers and embassy were not notified in advance of transfer. We’ll inform you of developments as they happen," he said in a text message to reporters in Manila.

- ’Incomprehensible’ -

======================

Diplomats said they had not been informed of when the group will be executed, with 72 hours’ notice required by law, but the steps underway suggest that an announcement could be imminent.

The Indonesian government has stuck to its hard line that the drug convicts must be executed, even if last-gasp legal manoeuvres are still pending, provoking fury abroad.

France on Thursday accused Indonesia of "serious dysfunction" in its legal system that led to Frenchman Serge Atlaoui being sentenced to death, and said his execution would be "incomprehensible".

Drug laws in Indonesia are among the world’s toughest and President Joko Widodo, who took office in October, says the country is facing a narcotics emergency that requires the ultimate sanction for convicts.

Appeals to Widodo to show mercy have so far fallen on deaf ears.

Velosa’s plight has been keenly felt in the Philippines, were around 100 protesters carrying "Save the life of Mary Jane" signs in Indonesian Bahasa picketed Jakarta’s embassy in Manila.

"Mary Jane doesn’t have that much time. The (Philippine) government must show determination to save her from death row," Garry Martinez of the emigrants support group Migrante told AFP.

Vice President Jejomar Binay said he appealed for clemency for Veloso during a bilateral meeting with his Indonesia counterpart, Jusuf Kalla, on Thursday.

"I appeal to you on considerations of compassion, and assure you that the Philippine government is exhausting all avenues to ensure that proper justice is served to those responsible for deceiving Mary Jane into having brought the drugs into Indonesia," Binay said, quoting from a written appeal he handed to Kalla.

Veloso claims a family friend, working with an international crime gang, had secretly stashed heroin in her suitcase when she was arrested at Yogyakarta airport in 2009.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/aec/Families-of-death-row-inmates-fearing-worst-head-t-30258663.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-24

In time-honoured Indonesian tradition the real scumbag crooks become multi-millionaires while those pawns who do their bidding get shot. Ghastly cess pit of a country.

Once again Prbkk we see the effects of corruption and those in the know are fully aware that Thailand's corruption issues pales into insignificance compared to Indonesia.

• Like 2

Diplomats said they had not been informed of when the group will be executed, with 72 hours’ notice required by law, but the steps underway suggest that an announcement could be imminent.

Indonesia should follow the Singapore system. Once they got hanged they will call the family to pickup the bodies.

• Like 1

Yes they were caught with drugs but for those that go to Bali the amount of drugs there is amazing. You can not walk one block without being offered one drug or another.

These were reformed prisoners so executing them makes no sense. They should have done this when they were caught ten years ago if that was their agenda.

No this is Indonesia involved in politics with the new prime minister trying to show he has power to a number of other countries in the only pathetic way he knows how. Fact is he doesn't.

Should one of these people be holding an American passport we would be looking at a different situation.

• Like 1

None who engage in such an act shall receive any sympathy from me.

As I've stated before there is sufficient evidence to suggest the death penalty is NOT a deterrent; however what it does achieve is to ensure those undertaking such a crime are never able to commit it again.

Why should the taxpayer have to pick up the tab for keeping these people in prison for life? For those of you who oppose the death penalty you might want to consider not the plight of those on death row but the poor families that have been destroyed by those supplying drugs.

Glad to hear that you understand that it is not a deterrent

What you're saying is that it's a cost saving measure

Any others you would euthenase as a cost saving measure? How about the mentally ill?

You see civilised societies reject capital punishment because it desensitises the population. States that have capital punishment usually have much higher murder rates

I have no sympathies with drug dealers. My nephew died of an overdose. However, I don't think it's a good idea to put people to death.

• Like 1

I agree that the benefits of the death penalty as a deterrent can be debated. However, in certain countries around the world it is a legal punishment. Any country will defend their citizens, and protest against having one of their citizens put to death. But each country is sovereign, and has a right to create and enforce their own laws. The penalty faced by someone breaking laws is the penalty of that country, not their home country. Whether or not they agree.

• Like 1

I agree that the benefits of the death penalty as a deterrent can be debated. However, in certain countries around the world it is a legal punishment. Any country will defend their citizens, and protest against having one of their citizens put to death. But each country is sovereign, and has a right to create and enforce their own laws. The penalty faced by someone breaking laws is the penalty of that country, not their home country. Whether or not they agree.

The irony is that the Saudi's executed an Indonesian maid a few days ago, and who asked for clemency? The same guy who is no refusing any appeals for clemency.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32318131

Indonesia's government has summoned Saudi Arabia's ambassador in Jakarta to protest against the execution of an Indonesian domestic worker.

That's how fecked up it is!

Edited by ggold
  • Like 2

The irony is that the Saudi's executed an Indonesian maid a few days ago, and who asked for clemency? The same guy who is no refusing any appeals for clemency.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32318131

Indonesia's government has summoned Saudi Arabia's ambassador in Jakarta to protest against the execution of an Indonesian domestic worker.

That's how fecked up it is!

This is why I stated any country will try to protect its citizens. But, also, if you have seen the photos of the abuse the maid took in KSA, it would normally be considered a justifiable homicide.

• Like 2

KSA is off the Richter scale in terms of inhumanity and off topic

Yes sovereign states may apply their own penalties.

but surely you would agree that civilised counties ditched the death penalty years ago

Who threw that stone?

Who was it!

Oh never mind

Im a Doctor....Im a staunch conservative....Im a tied in the wool asshol# with a majority of my posts. But I have been following these cases.....and I will say that Indonesia as a failed judiciary/state has no moral authority to execute anyone.....doesnt take a moron to read and understand what is going on here.....Yes I am for the death penalty......but there are ao many many circumstances here that warrant either clemency or dismissal....

FUC& Indon.....I will never go back...aand I will tell people not to...

• Like 2

KSA is off the Richter scale in terms of inhumanity and off topic

Yes sovereign states may apply their own penalties.

but surely you would agree that civilised counties ditched the death penalty years ago

Who threw that stone?

Who was it!

Oh never mind

"but surely you would agree that civilised counties ditched the death penalty years ago"

But some of the countries below are civilized

Amnesty-International-exe-009.jpg

People who supply drugs should be punished by murder? Does the same apply to bar owners who supply alcohol which causes far more death and suffering than any illegal drug?

.... and it's not murder, it's simply suicide by firing squad, because they all knew the penalty for drug dealing/trafficking in Indonesia, but they chose to gamble their lives on not getting caught .... but they did, so now it's time to pay that gambling debt!!

Edited by ChiangmaiRob
  • Like 2

None who engage in such an act shall receive any sympathy from me.

As I've stated before there is sufficient evidence to suggest the death penalty is NOT a deterrent; however what it does achieve is to ensure those undertaking such a crime are never able to commit it again.

Why should the taxpayer have to pick up the tab for keeping these people in prison for life? For those of you who oppose the death penalty you might want to consider not the plight of those on death row but the poor families that have been destroyed by those supplying drugs.

Whenever I see such cases I remember that I had a cousin and a good friend who died from heroin.sad.png

People who supply drugs should be punished by murder? Does the same apply to bar owners who supply alcohol which causes far more death and suffering than any illegal drug?

.... and it's not murder, it's simply suicide by firing squad, because they all knew the penalty for drug dealing/trafficking in Indonesia, but they chose to gamble their lives on not getting caught .... but they did, so now it's time to pay that gambling debt!!

Judicial homicide, I believe is the term used in the US where someone is executed.

In time-honoured Indonesian tradition the real scumbag crooks become multi-millionaires while those pawns who do their bidding get shot. Ghastly cess pit of a country.

With super hot women..............think Thai's with a real body and relly know how to dance, not just stand around and move a little bit.thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 2