Trans issues are hot ... but now I'm bored about it

Jingthing

You may have noticed.

In the past year or so in the west, trans issues have become much more prominent.

I think that's great for trans people and of course I fully support full civil rights for all people, for all sexual minorities.

But the extent of my personal INTEREST in trans issues is limited and my limit has been well reached.

Now there are exceptions such as the great U.S. t.v. show Transparent ... I could watch that for many seasons but that's more about the ENTERTAINMENT than real interest in the issues, so I mean in general.

Just not very interested.

Certainly not hostile, but I don't really need to hear any more about it.

Now I wonder if many straight people who are not hostile to gays feel the same way about gay rights issues.

Just bored.

Over-saturated.

Enough already!

Not very interested.

I find that a little hard to get as to me gay people are so fantastically and endlessly interesting.

But just a thought.

Edited by Jingthing

I think straight people are often bored to tears hearing about gays this, gays that, transgender and so on. But surely this is a good trend?

I've always thought that the dilemma of gay activism is that it arouses dormant homophobia in many people who would otherwise not care one way or the other. It's a price we've had to pay.

But if people are getting bored with all the hooha, it may be easier for gay rights to make progress without so much strident opposition.

Just a thought!

• Thumbs Up 1

agree with isanbirder. The "getting bored" part comes from

1. not beeing and activist that fights for 100% equality (i.e. legal same sex relationships vs. marriage // adoption issues // Russian / Kenyan anti-gay laws)
  2. living in a country where in general equality is almost given

then comes the boring part like

• "Tim Cook is gay" - heck, so what, why does this have to be news for weeks?
  • single suicide stories because of relationship / family issues - heck, so what, there are hundreds of such cases in hetero relationships that nobody bothers about..

I am on the same page with most. I find trans issues a little boring. I do try to keep up with it but more for the human rights issues and legal situation than anything to do with transgender issues per se.

I work with a transgender lady and I very much enjoy talking with her about her perspective and her situation. She's a lovely and an interesting person.

And yes, I think a lot of straights have little interest in gay issues and we have seen that when large numbers come down in this forum, it's usually not for support and caring!

I am on the same page with most. I find trans issues a little boring. I do try to keep up with it but more for the human rights issues and legal situation than anything to do with transgender issues per se.

I work with a transgender lady and I very much enjoy talking with her about her perspective and her situation. She's a lovely and an interesting person.

And yes, I think a lot of straights have little interest in gay issues and we have seen that when large numbers come down in this forum, it's usually not for support and caring!

Agree with the second paragraph. the "real" transgenders (so NOT the ones who only have huge boob implants for the money they want to make with it...) can be hightly interesting and I always enjoy the talks with them also. For me, I have not (yet) lost interest in transgender issues, I think those people still have a long way to go until they reach only little of the acceptance that gay people have. Makes me wonder why they do not receive the same support and interest in the LGBT community as gay people expect to receive...

Wondering about this also... I know "straight" in the street language means heterosexual... but why not use the word "heterosexual"? Most gay people I know are more "straight" (traditional meaning) in their way of living and acting than heterosexuals... I am not gay, but if I would be and would be called "not straight", I would probably be pissed... so wondering why on this forum, this wording gets used?

I care, not so much for the issues,as for the individuals concerned.

When we get too involved with "issues", sometimes we seem to forget our humanity (like with the current migrant issues in Europe, where every country cares to look good, but nobody cares a damn about the individuals).

Wondering about this also... I know "straight" in the street language means heterosexual... but why not use the word "heterosexual"? Most gay people I know are more "straight" (traditional meaning) in their way of living and acting than heterosexuals... I am not gay, but if I would be and would be called "not straight", I would probably be pissed... so wondering why on this forum, this wording gets used?

Well, Swiss, I don't like either word. 'Heterosexual' sounds so prissy, somehow, and 'straight' is as bad as queer or bent.

Sometimes in posts here I refer to them as 'the other lot', where I think it is clear what I mean.

As a gay man, I empathize with transgenders fight toward awareness, equality and dignity. I think any positive media coverage is still a good step toward helping the non-transgendered community understand the prejudice that the transgendered community experiences. Once LGBT people areable to live their lives as equal individuals without prejudice, then I can also enjoy the luxury of being bored about LGBT civil rights issues.

Sure but I must admit I get annoyed that so many people think gender identity and sexual orientation are the same thing.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

Sure but I must admit I get annoyed that so many people think gender identity and sexual orientation are the same thing.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree, but hopefully as individuals do come forward and articles are written or t.v. interviews are done - society can be educated about the issues such as sexual identity being different than sexual orientation. There are now so many informative and honest videos on youtube - hopefully those who want to better understand the LGBT community can do so.