CBR650F - Impressed

wow64

Have just taken my friends CBR650F to work and damn this is a nice bike.

Did a swap for a day he has my 600rr (you break it your buy it) and I am actually very impressed with this bike.

For driving around BKK its perfect.. not that much heat.. very comfi riding position... power down low and has a good sound with a slip on.

Doesn't have all the go fast bit of the 600rr but for driving around BKK you don't need them.

I have a cbr300r for a commuter and the 650 its also a very capable commuter however I have only ridden 8km on it so not much to go off.

Anyone have a CBR650f and use it as a commuter? any problems with it?

The only thing I have noticed is the weight.. it does feel heavy.

Love the weight. It feels so much more solid than lighter bikes I have ridden. Seems to handle bumps better too with the weight. If you think this bike is heavy, try getting on a Kawa Z800. That's even 50 pounds more in weight. For a commuter bike in traffic, no. Too much torque in my opinion for regular Bangkok city driving, aside from the weight issue.

I used to love the 600RR and always wanted one, but then I realized the riding position isn't ideal. When I got my CBR650F I no longer thought about getting a 600RR again.

And I would be surprised if the 600RR is much faster off the line than the CBR650F. Yes, the 600RR has more total HP and a faster top end, but I would be surprised going from 0-60mph if there is much difference in acceleration all. I checked the specs for both bikes and both are rated at 3.4 seconds from 0-60mph. So when you say it doesn't have all the "go fast bit" I assume you are talking about top end and not off the line.

So unless you are a track boy then I would say the CBR650F is the better choice than the 600RR. But if top end speed is really what you are after then forget either of these bikes and go for a liter bike.

I agree with all the posts which is odd :)

For Bangkok, any bike bigger than 100cc is faster than most traffic, but luckily we don't have an overabundance of Fino and Scoopy threads going.

What we really want is a 600RR (or R6, ZX6R, GSXR600) with lower pegs and motocross bars for comfort.

Sadly having a super light racebike that is comfortable would kill sales for the Japanese manufacturers so they instead offer steel framed heavy bikes on the commuter market.

Love the weight. It feels so much more solid than lighter bikes I have ridden. Seems to handle bumps better too with the weight. If you think this bike is heavy, try getting on a Kawa Z800. That's even 50 pounds more in weight. For a commuter bike in traffic, no. Too much torque in my opinion for regular Bangkok city driving, aside from the weight issue.

I used to love the 600RR and always wanted one, but then I realized the riding position isn't ideal. When I got my CBR650F I no longer thought about getting a 600RR again.

And I would be surprised if the 600RR is much faster off the line than the CBR650F. Yes, the 600RR has more total HP and a faster top end, but I would be surprised going from 0-60mph if there is much difference in acceleration all. I checked the specs for both bikes and both are rated at 3.4 seconds from 0-60mph. So when you say it doesn't have all the "go fast bit" I assume you are talking about top end and not off the line.

So unless you are a track boy then I would say the CBR650F is the better choice than the 600RR. But if top end speed is really what you are after then forget either of these bikes and go for a liter bike.

"Go fast bit" I was referring to was not just 0-100... Cornering braking and things such as adjustable suspension.. But I cannot use any of this driving around BKK on the 600rr.

There would not be much in the 0-100 times.. Would come down to rider almost. My scientific experiment I conducted which involved counting in my head and feel.. I think there is almost a half second gap little under... But its too dangerous to drive like that 99.99999% of the time in BKk.

Was suprised the Cbr650f got to 100 in first gear actually excacty 100 and had to change. CBR600rr 1st gear can get to about 127km..

The sound of the cbr650f is also very nice.... Just like the 600rr up to that rev point.. But the sound of the cbr600rr at 15000 rpm..like an f1.

Now its just given me another bike that I want to bloody own...and the price.. Is very good here. Please change the headlight honda only thing I dont like..reminds me of my old gixxer from back home.

When I got the 600rr this 650f was not out.. I probably would have got the 650f if it was.. Pretty much same reason...I always wanted one and didnt want a litre bike here.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Bars & pegs are pretty easy to modify.

Have you done it? ,

I dont think relocating gearshifts/linkages, brake pedals/hoses, control cable lengths, fabricating bar mounts, etc is that easy unless someone makes a kit.

Rear suspension sag is adjustable on the CBR650R. I already adjusted it on mine. Front forks aren't though. But again none of this really matters unless it's for track use.

I wouldn't worry about half second gaps though. Seems irrelevant as I said unless we are talking track times.

Yes, 100km in first gear is possible, but gets loud on my bike with my pipe. I prefer to drop to second around 70-80km. But that comes down to riding style. Doesn't matter though. You got six gears. 4th and 5th are my favorite gears. Still lots of torque.

As you said too, price is great. And parts are easy to get since it's made here. You have local warranty, etc. i

Imported bikes are a pain to deal with here for various reasons as you have probably figured out. Parts expensive and difficult to find, etc.

Why not sell your 600rr and get a 650f? You'll get a new bike, nicer to ride on the roads here, and probably have a it of cash left over in your pocket when it's all said and done. I don't see any downside to doing that. Your not giving up anything.

Thing is I would have never spent the money to get a legally imported 600rr in Thailand, so when they released the 650f it was a dream come true. Never thought I would be riding a brand new 4 cylinder 650 bike in Thailand for US$10,000.

I've got the money, I'm ready to buy, though I hate to sell my beloved 2012 CBR250r (ABS 25k km) for just a little over half of what I paid for it! However, I'd do it for the right CBR650f, meaning, the available colors just don't do it for me. What would it cost to paint a new bike here? Is it possible to get one unpainted from the factory? I love my tri-color, so I'd probably just go with pearl white and put some decals on it. BTW, I did try a friend's CB650f and loved it, but prefer the CBR to the CB. The "test ride" they allow you at Big Wing is just silly! I'm convinced that if they let you really test it, like on their track on Ramkhamhaeng, they'd sell more bikes, though sure, they'd have more crashes too.

Also, I've seen at least 3 youtube reviews and comparisons that have pretty much trashed this bike, calling it slow, expensive, heavy, etc, compared to others in it's class. However, being made here, I'm still convinced it's my next bike.

Edited by Myaimistrue

I wouldn't sell the 250 if you can afford to keep it. Before I got my 650 I planned to sell my 250 after I got the 650. But once I got the 650 I realized the 250 still has many uses. I drive it places I wouldn't want to park my 650. The 650 grabs attention. I don't want people sitting on it or playing with it when it's parked somewhere. Somebody might even decide to scratch it because they are jealous. Plus the 250 is so much cooler in terms of engine heat and more practical to ride in city heat and traffic. I actually ride the 250 more often than the 650. But I love the 650.

I saw a video comparing the CBR650F to a couple of other bikes on motorcycle.com. A Yamaha and something else, I can't remember. But they liked the Yamaha the best. But that's them. I wouldn't want that Yamaha or the other bike. Maybe it was an ER6. Can't remember. But comparison reviews are meaningless if what the comparison is with is something you wouldn't buy anyway. It's all subjective and, even if another bike might be bigger, faster, stronger it doesn't matter if you like a certain bike. I feel like I got the bike I always wanted. A 600-650cc, four cylinder, Honda, sport/touring bike for 1/3 the price of an equivalent import. I'm happy as a clam. I love the bike. Can't think of anything I would change except the headlight as was mentioned. Would love an R1 looking headlight setup. But I love the red color and everything else. Just change the pipe, add some engine sliders, maybe a tail tidy, and perhaps put on some Pireli Rosso 2 tires if you want to take it on the track sometimes. Otherwise, just buy it, ride it, enjoy it, stop looking at comparisons specs, and reviews, and never look back.

I agree about the Big Wing test drive in their small parking lot. Might as well just sit on the bike parked with the engine running and rev the engine. Same thing.

Edited by WingNut

^^

Spot on about the reviews and negatives.. Actually even too many positives in a review can be bad too because It just reeks of a "paid for review",

For example if you read just about any ducati scrambler review currently its just sickening how sugar coated they make the review.

But the 650 Honda just gets ripped into by some journalist who is pissed off he didn't get the exotic bike for the day instead of his peer.

Consequently he moans about the suspension and brakes and weight as he drives around " the canyons"

Always good to hear an happy customer! Big Wing Pattaya let you use Sukhumvit road for test rides plus nobody else comes with you, not quite a racetrack which I cant see happening anytime soon for a test ride but you do get to go as fast as the conditions allow and you can always take a wrong term for a longer test I guess....

^^

Spot on about the reviews and negatives.. Actually even too many positives in a review can be bad too because It just reeks of a "paid for review",

For example if you read just about any ducati scrambler review currently its just sickening how sugar coated they make the review.

But the 650 Honda just gets ripped into by some journalist who is pissed off he didn't get the exotic bike for the day instead of his peer.

Consequently he moans about the suspension and brakes and weight as he drives around " the canyons"

Spot on too. And if I was the reviewer who had to ride the Yamaha around the canyons for example, when I wanted to ride the Honda, then you can rest assured I would have been moaning about the Yamaha too.

As for my opinion on those points, I think the suspension is great. After I tightened the sag its tight as a clam. It handles great and takes turns effortlessly. Great traction and just slight pressure on the handle bars and your in and out of a turn. Just like a Honda is known for. I can't imagine the suspension on those other bikes compared are any different.

Brakes are fine. ABS, safe and sound. Heck, when I ride I mostly use the throttle. Brakes, what are those? Obviously that reviewer is doing something wrong. [emoji12]

If you are a brake snob and money is no object then throw on some Brimbos. I do so much compression braking anyway, I rarely touch the brakes. But then again I don't drive this bike in traffic.

Weight, I already talked about how I prefer its heft to my 50kg lighter weight CBR250R. If you gave me the choice of having my CBR650F being its current weight, or the equivalent weight of the CBR250R, I would stick with its current weight as it is.

This is the comparison I had watched a while ago. Honda versus Yamaha, versus Kawasaki. I can imagine in reality all 3 perform relatively the same and it really just comes down to personal taste:

I wouldn't want a two cylinder bike though so that already makes the decision easier for me.

I wouldn't sell the 250 if you can afford to keep it. Before I got my 650 I planned to sell my 250 after I got the 650. But once I got the 650 I realized the 250 still has many uses. I drive it places I wouldn't want to park my 650. The 650 grabs attention. I don't want people sitting on it or playing with it when it's parked somewhere. Somebody might even decide to scratch it because they are jealous. Plus the 250 is so much cooler in terms of engine heat and more practical to ride in city heat and traffic. I actually ride the 250 more often than the 650. But I love the 650.

I saw a video comparing the CBR650F to a couple of other bikes on motorcycle.com. A Yamaha and something else, I can't remember. But they liked the Yamaha the best. But that's them. I wouldn't want that Yamaha or the other bike. Maybe it was an ER6. Can't remember. But comparison reviews are meaningless if what the comparison is with is something you wouldn't buy anyway. It's all subjective and, even if another bike might be bigger, faster, stronger it doesn't matter if you like a certain bike. I feel like I got the bike I always wanted. A 600-650cc, four cylinder, Honda, sport/touring bike for 1/3 the price of an equivalent import. I'm happy as a clam. I love the bike. Can't think of anything I would change except the headlight as was mentioned. Would love an R1 looking headlight setup. But I love the red color and everything else. Just change the pipe, add some engine sliders, maybe a tail tidy, and perhaps put on some Pireli Rosso 2 tires if you want to take it on the track sometimes. Otherwise, just buy it, ride it, enjoy it, stop looking at comparisons specs, and reviews, and never look back.

I agree about the Big Wing test drive in their small parking lot. Might as well just sit on the bike parked with the engine running and rev the engine. Same thing.

Yeah, for the price I'd get and considering how much I like it, I should keep the 250. True about the engine heat, as I came close to burning my leg on that CB650f a few times. And the weight, especially in traffic. I got ahead of my friend in traffic and when he caught up to me he told me that he dropped it trying to squeeze through some cars. I don't even think I'd modify that exhaust because I have a stock exhaust on my 250 and wear earplugs on trips, but my head is still ringing for a few hours after I stop. Those modified exhausts sound great for a short while, but I wouldn't want it to be the only thing I heard for hours! What about painting, any idea on prices?

This is the comparison I had watched a while ago. Honda versus Yamaha, versus Kawasaki. I can imagine in reality all 3 perform relatively the same and it really just comes down to personal taste:

I wouldn't want a two cylinder bike though so that already makes the decision easier for me.

Yeah, that was one of them. Totally agree about a two cylinder, why bother?

^^

Spot on too. And if I was the reviewer who had to ride the Yamaha around the canyons for example, when I wanted to ride the Honda, then you can rest assured I would have been moaning about the Yamaha too.

As for my opinion on those points, I think the suspension is great. After I tightened the sag its tight as a clam. It handles great and takes turns effortlessly. Great traction and just slight pressure on the handle bars and your in and out of a turn. Just like a Honda is known for. I can't imagine the suspension on those other bikes compared are any different.

Brakes are fine. ABS, safe and sound. Heck, when I ride I mostly use the throttle. Brakes, what are those? Obviously that reviewer is doing something wrong. [emoji12]

If you are a brake snob and money is no object then throw on some Brimbos. I do so much compression braking anyway, I rarely touch the brakes. But then again I don't drive this bike in traffic.

Weight, I already talked about how I prefer its heft to my 50kg lighter weight CBR250R. If you gave me the choice of having my CBR650F being its current weight, or the equivalent weight of the CBR250R, I would stick with its current weight as it is.

Im pretty sure they take turns on each bike, then compare, right? Plus they must average out the track times too, I would think.

Sorry, don't know anything about painting. Maybe best to start another thread about that and maybe someone will reply who knows about it.

I agree about the loud noise of after market pipes. I love the sound. But on long trips it gets old really quick. But I can't stand the sound of the stock pipes the rest of the time. So I put up with it.

Two cylinder bikes usually have a bit more torque at the low rev ranges. So theoretically a bit peppier. But four cylinder bikes usually have more horses and a better top end.

I just really prefer the sound of the 4 cylinders though.

Yes, the heat can really be something on four cylinder bikes. The little one cylinder 250 bikes never feel hot, but on a hot day in slow moving traffic the 650 gets uncomfortable really quick. Especially if you got full gear on.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1430089364100.jpgobviously from a z800 fan page on fb

How does the CBR650f compare with the z800? I've seen the Mehay top end videos on YouTube where it tops out higher than the Z800. Can/should they be compared? Another rider told me he had one going 260kph. Possible?

I think 230km is the top speed on the CBR650F. I had mine up at 200km once just for a few seconds and then I ran out of road so I couldn't go any faster and needed to start braking. But it got up there very quick. You need to lean forward down on the tank though.

CBR600F? That's the Honda Hurricane that was in production only from 1987 to 1990. Strange comparison.

Anyway, I don't know how the CBR650F and the Z800 would compare. But why even compare two bikes of a different CC class?

Just curious because they are the smallest 4 cylinders of both brands offered here, right?

How does the CBR650f compare with the z800? I've seen the Mehay top end videos on YouTube where it tops out higher than the Z800. Can/should they be compared? Another rider told me he had one going 260kph. Possible?
I think 230km is the top speed on the CBR650F. I had mine up at 200km once just for a few seconds and then I ran out of road so I couldn't go any faster and needed to start braking. But it got up there very quick. You need to lean forward down on the tank though.

I went through the gears on that CB650f, not pushing it too hard because it only had 400km on it, and when I looked down I was going 150. One thing I had trouble with was the integrated tach, I had a hard time seeing it. I guess it's something you get used to?

CBR600F? That's the Honda Hurricane that was in production only from 1987 to 1990. Strange comparison.

Anyway, I don't know how the CBR650F and the Z800 would compare. But why even compare two bikes of a different CC class?

Just curious because they are the smallest 4 cylinders of both brands offered here, right?

Yes, I think your probably right.