Prayut confident Thailand will meet EU fishery deadline

Lite Beer

Prayut confident Thailand will meet EU fishery deadline
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday he was confident that Thailand would be able to solve the problem of unregulated and unreported fishing practices within the time frame set by the European Union, which this week warned that it would ban Thai products if the problem was not solved within six months.

"I have been working for the past six months and have accomplished a number of things. People know that the government is sincere and intends to resolve this problem. We want to do this as quickly as possible. Fishery-related laws needed to be overhauled. We need to register ships, install GPS [Global Positioning System] tracking on them, and install VMS [vessel monitoring systems].

"We have to know where they are catching fish, otherwise we cannot regulate them. A coastal fishery control centre will thus be set up, but if we have to wait for certain laws to be promulgated first or if we proceed using existing laws, we cannot establish these centres in time.

"So we must use Article 44 to facilitate implementation, although the application of penalties against offenders - business operators, consumers, workers - will be based on normal laws. Naval vessels and sailors will assist in the making of arrests in such cases."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-confident-Thailand-will-meet-EU-fishery-dea-30258750.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-25

I was confident I would be able to start fixing the family house to be nicer and bigger and prettier. Yet, every time I try to start a project I get opposition from the entire family as to why I'm doing it and inconveniencing them. So far I have had to order my wife to tell them to help me or get out of my way. Let's hope Prayuth has better luck than I am.

• Like 1

Another delusional statement. The fact remains that laws are already in place but as usual corruption prevents enforcement.

"I have been working for the past six months and have accomplished a number of things. People know that the government is sincere and intends to resolve this problem."

Says who exactly? Oh yeah that would be the junta propaganda machine which effectively means squat diddly. I for one will believe in the 'accomplishments' when they actually materialize and I'll believe in the 'sincerity' when Prayut subjects himself to public scrutiny and full transparency on his assets. Until then it's all BS.

• Like 1

I would like the news for once to be about some good thing that the government has actually doane.....for example: "XXX ship's captains are in jail alongside XX ship owners for using slave labour on their boats which have been impounded" or "XXXX cops and YYYY local puyais are in jail for demanding bribes" or " Police enforce the law against a wealthy 18 year old hi-so that drove his Mercedes into a bus queue killing 8 people."

But with this government all the news seems to be about vague good-sounding things which will be done by forming committees to examine the problems in an unspecified timeframe...and then we never hear about it again.

• Like 2