Pies In Thailand

The soggy bottom was caused by under cooking. I think you can get these Steak Cut chips at Makro.

Cheers for the info on the chips, the soggy bottom comment was just a joke on the supposed properties of baked beans.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you are driving down to Cha am beach on Narathip towards the beach on the left.. there is a Pastry shop and they have some very good meat pies.

Very good.. when ever I go I take some home with me.

Dont know the name of the place.

Edited by wow64

As you are driving down to Cha am beach on Narathip towards the beach on the left.. there is a Pastry shop and they have some very good meat pies.

I think that directions sound like you mean,,? "the Baguette"

I also take some home each time,, but tend to go to their shop in hua hin as they bake them there, we buy them still frozen from the hua hin shop, although sometimes freeze precooked ones from the cha am shop

I work for a Smithfield butcher back in London, but am on a 3 month break with mrs TF at the moment.

4 years ago the last time I was out here for over 3 years near the end of my stay I found a good family run business towards the outskirts of BKK on on nut rd. sadly the fella that owed the business had just passed away and his thai wife was not sure if she was going to keep on running the outlet. Would appreciate it if anyone has any info.

As for the London pie company, likewise, what's his background info etc........?

Cheers, tigerfishjanny.

Sounds like Bunters to me.

Thanks for all the pie tips - hope to drop in for a Cornish at W district shortly !

I think that directions sound like you mean,,? "the Baguette"

I also take some home each time,, but tend to go to their shop in hua hin as they bake them there, we buy them still frozen from the hua hin shop, although sometimes freeze precooked ones from the cha am shop

Thats the name I couldnt think of it.. Didnt know there was one in hua hin also..

Very nice pies for thialand.. man I would love one now.

Sent from my c64

Yep, nice pies at the baguette, didn't bring any home on our beach trip last weekend because was trying to eat reasonably healthy until I get my offshore medical finished this week,,, now it's passed I'm back on the pies ,, hehe

• 2 weeks later...

A bit OT, but in answer to RabC at post 49; my Isaan kitchen is like a furnace all year round but I still manage to knock out stacks of pukka "Cornish" pasties for me and my mates. The secret is you don't need to keep your kitchen at 18 deg C, you need to keep the pastry you are rolling at 18 deg C, which is a whole lot different. So, make your shortcrust pastry in your usual way, then wrap it in clingfilm and bung it in the fridge for a couple of hours to let it harden up. I often leave pastry in the fridge overnight and roll it out the following morning.

When you are ready to make your pasties, remove the block of chilled pastry from the fridge, unwrap the block and cut off enough pastry to make one pasty. Re-cover the block and return it to the fridge. Place the lump you have cut off between two sheets of waxed/silicone paper on a clean chopping board and roll out the pastry to your desired thickness.

Carefully peel off the top sheet of paper and put it to one side. Turn the bottom sheet over (with the rolled pastry attached) and place it face down on a second, floured, chopping board. Peel off the lower sheet , place the filling on the rolled out pastry, fold and crimp as normal and slide the pasty onto a baking tray.

Repeat the process as many times as you like depending on the quanitity of pastry/filling you have. The thing is you can re-use the sheets of paper until they rip/disentigrate then you tear another sheet off the roll an continue.

• 4 weeks later...

in repie to your quest to find a decent pie outlet I buy my pies from the friendship supermarket in pattaya a firm called the bakery who have exceedingly good pies no complaints so far good luck.

I was in Friendship the other day ,i am not sure of the makes of pie ,but there were two suppliers one were quite cheap ,about 45 baht ,they had a curry pie and a chicken ,then there were some priced about 90 baht , they are not bad ,but i thought i would try the curry one and the wife had a chicken , i can honestly say they were the most disgusting things i had ever eaten , we both took a bite and threw them in the bin , awfull truly awfull.

• 2 months later...

The london pie company are great. Reminds me of living in australia. I am greatful i can get that kind of food now. Sausage rolls with hot sauce are to die for. I have eaten about 5 pies and 3 sausage rolls this week. Well done. My dad bought them for me and apparently they are on soi chiapruck some where.

Very interesting reading this...

An old mate has a multi-million business selling pies in the UK. They sell for 3x more than in Thailand.

RAZZ

STAN THOMAS OF MERTHYR YEH.now run by his son PETER AS PETERS PIES.

The factory is in Caerphilly, I pass it quite often.

They're now making pies and pasties in bulk for the supermarkets, and they are <deleted>! My local Tesco couldn't even sell the special offer pasties at reduced price. The pastry was like soggy corrugated cardboard in both taste and texture.

An old mate has a multi-million business selling pies in the UK. They sell for 3x more than in Thailand.

RAZZ

They're now making pies and pasties in bulk for the supermarkets, and they are <deleted>! My local Tesco couldn't even sell the special offer pasties at reduced price. The pastry was like soggy corrugated cardboard in both taste and texture.

Pies for the proles....I've had one with chips and brown sauce a few times after a pub session....cheap rubbish but works after a few jars.

I'd never attempt one sober.

RAZZ

Pies for the proles....I've had one with chips and brown sauce a few times after a pub session....cheap rubbish but works after a few jars.

I'd never attempt one sober.

Nope posh pies. Google "Pieminister".

Don't think I've seen any Asian people eat "pies"? Are there SE-Asian equivalents in Thailand, LOS, Vietnam or China?

Whereas sausages seem to be made and eaten nearly everywhere on the planet.

RAZZ

Pieminister is a whole different league....deeeeelicious!

Haven't seen him for a few years. Busy turning over his £7m a year wink.png

RAZZ

I think Brewdog sell those now at £5 a pop....perfect beer snack!

I'm half tempted to see if he needs an Asian / Thai agent wink.png

But in all seriousness I don't think it would work.

1) Only expats maybe in HK and Thai tourist resorts.

2) Would be expensive.

3) Never seen asians eat pies? facepalm.gif Do they?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Pieminister is a whole different league....deeeeelicious!

Haven't seen him for a few years. Busy turning over his £7m a year wink.png

RAZZ

I think Brewdog sell those now at £5 a pop....perfect beer snack!

I'm half tempted to see if he needs an Asian / Thai agent wink.png

But in all seriousness I don't think it would work.

1) Only expats maybe in HK and Thai tourist resorts.

2) Would be expensive.

3) Never seen asians eat pies? facepalm.gif Do they?

RAZZ

No they don't....maybe the Chinese would though!

• 1 month later...

Pie lovers, you probably need to try our range of Gourmet Pies... a few to choose from http://www.passiondelivery.com/collections/pies-sausage-rolls

Our best sellers are sausage rolls, pork pies, classic cottage pies and classic fishermans.

DELIVERED NATIONWIDE via our PassionBox service http://www.passiondelivery.com/collections/passionbox-dry-delivered-nationwide

post-244103-0-21401300-1447140742_thumb.

post-244103-0-36369200-1447140745_thumb.

post-244103-0-25133800-1447140748_thumb.

post-244103-0-38481200-1447140751_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a top quality English meat and potato pie its got to be

HOLLANDS from the north of England.

There pies are legendary

But unfortunately I have never found them in Thailand.

I have even contacted the company.

Now you will get all the critics that have never tasted one.

If you do know where in Thailand I can get some please pm me.

If you want a top quality English meat and potato pie its got to be

HOLLANDS from the north of England.

There pies are legendary

But unfortunately I have never found them in Thailand.

I have even contacted the company.

Now you will get all the critics that have never tasted one.

If you do know where in Thailand I can get some please pm me.

Hollands of Baxenden (near Accrington Lancashire) were excellent 3 years ago but now taken over by folk from a country better known for curry making..........downhill ever since.............sad.png

Oh

Has the quality really gone down?

That has spoiled my whole year.

I have some friends coming over in January and they promised to bring some over.

Its been 6 years since I had a pie fix.

Ha Ho!! another fantasy destroyed.

Oh

Has the quality really gone down?

That has spoiled my whole year.

I have some friends coming over in January and they promised to bring some over.

Its been 6 years since I had a pie fix.

Ha Ho!! another fantasy destroyed.

M&S have deli counters selling individual pies of different types....the steak ones aint bad but the chicken and bacon ones are the &lt;deleted&gt;.

Get those brought over...trust me they are excellent.