The shocking truth behind Samui’s garbage disposal crisis

Lite Beer

The shocking truth behind Samui’s garbage disposal crisis

samui-garbage-crisis-1-300x225.jpg

Samui’s garbage disposal problem is escalating out of control.

With an incinerator that has been out of action for 1 year, mountains of rubbish and waste piling up around the roads leading to the garbage site, and a garbage site full to capacity it is little wonder that the rivers and ponds in a two mile vicinity of the unit are polluted, contaminated and toxic.

The buildings at the garbage control unit are abandoned, the windows have been smashed, the staff are long gone and all that remains is a stinking, toxic derelict site with no change in sight.

Despite Major Ramnate Jaikwangbeing issued an ultimatum from the Governor of Surat Thani and the army to bring in new contractors to deal with Samui’s garbage crisis, and fix the incinerator that was out of order at the beginning of his term in 2008, nothing seems to have been done, but quite clearly the need for something to be done is now of the utmost urgency.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-04-25

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the obvious answer is to have a crackdown for the next seven days, after all, it is damaging Thailand's reputation.

Oh, I forgot......

........queue that after:

the road safety crackdown

the corruption crackdown,

human trafficking crackdown

unregulated fishing crackdown

air traffic safety crackdown

patent/copyright infringement crackdown

Thailand's authorities crack me up!

..... and the international community is laughing with me.

It's the same old story all over Thailand. They love to talk about what's wrong, point the finger of blame at other authorities, but nothing ever gets done. Samui, like Phuket which has turned into a toxic cesspit, will continue down this road as long as the good old MONEY keeps rolling in from tourism.

I've traveled the world but few places compare to Thailand as being nothing short of a garbage dump. Look at the mentality ... I've seen Thais stand not a foot from a trash can and yet the prefer to throw their garbage on the ground.

In my days on Phuket it was nothing unusual to see rats crawling all over the place, especially in restaurants in the Town.

I would say that they ought to be ashamed of themselves but you can't shame the ignorant and uneducated. Take a walk anywhere in Thailand and there are dogs shitting, people throwing garbage on the floor, rats running around restaurant tables ... any they have the audacity to call Thailand a high class tourist destination ... it's cleaner in my toilet and by a remarkably long way.

It's a shame and another reason I left ... I just didn't consider living in a shit hole as a nice place to live but I guess there are some that like it that way.

I visited the plant when I first moved permanently to Samui.

It was clean, efficient and no pollution.

The biggest problem was not enough garbage.

I was asked to propose maintenance for the plant in about 2002.

But nothing came of it.

It was expensive to operate and maintain, but not as expensive as it it will be to get rid of the mess they have made.

I remember a long time ago a Thai Visa post, article about the smell when it was raining!!!

The problem was they bought trucks that would not seal to the dump doors.

An amazing piece of technology abandon for lack of for-site and knowledge if the plants operation and maintenance.

Fix it, long term a far cheaper option than other options, of which there seem to be none.

A Modern marvel, to bad no one knew what to do with it.

Start dumping it in the house of the mayor and all the other island officials then something will be done very quickly.

i did this to my building contractor after asking them to clean the site [which they of course didnt]

me and the wife got up early and picked up the rubbish around the site and dumped it on the entrance door to the contractors office

next day site was cleaned every night

lasted a good month before i had to make the offer again

worked a treat

It's the same old story all over Thailand. They love to talk about what's wrong, point the finger of blame at other authorities, but nothing ever gets done. Samui, like Phuket which has turned into a toxic cesspit, will continue down this road as long as the good old MONEY keeps rolling in from tourism.

I've traveled the world but few places compare to Thailand as being nothing short of a garbage dump. Look at the mentality ... I've seen Thais stand not a foot from a trash can and yet the prefer to throw their garbage on the ground.

In my days on Phuket it was nothing unusual to see rats crawling all over the place, especially in restaurants in the Town.

I would say that they ought to be ashamed of themselves but you can't shame the ignorant and uneducated. Take a walk anywhere in Thailand and there are dogs shitting, people throwing garbage on the floor, rats running around restaurant tables ... any they have the audacity to call Thailand a high class tourist destination ... it's cleaner in my toilet and by a remarkably long way.

It's a shame and another reason I left ... I just didn't consider living in a shit hole as a nice place to live but I guess there are some that like it that way.

You forgot to mention that they would rather piss up against a coconut tree than to walk 10 meters to a toilet !

Perhaps when there is some kind of outbreak of epidemic proportions we will have the usual knee jerk reaction, and someone (The Mayor?) will take the credit for solving the problem by getting the incinerator repaired.

Anyway, did I not read/hear somewhere that the PM had ordered the problem to be resolved, and the answer was going to be to just cover it all up with dirt?

I bet the good and honest Mayor had a budget allotted for that particular aspect of his governance....and now it is long gone.....over the hills and far away ...and never to be found.

Cheers

Could look in his pockets?

Start dumping it in the house of the mayor and all the other island officials then something will be done very quickly.

i did this to my building contractor after asking them to clean the site [which they of course didnt]

me and the wife got up early and picked up the rubbish around the site and dumped it on the entrance door to the contractors office

next day site was cleaned every night

lasted a good month before i had to make the offer again

worked a treat

Ha ha...love it...that is a perfect example of less talk... more action..... while actions are stronger than words.

I will vote for you come election time ...lol

Cheers

I bet the good and honest Mayor had a budget allotted for that particular aspect of his governance....and now it is long gone.....over the hills and far away ...and never to be found.

Cheers

Could look in his pockets?

..No, No...look in his brand new Mercedes Benz SL 600 as they never think to hide the wealth, rather they display it as a means to let everyone know they are amongst the unaccountable and not to be reckoned with.

Cheers

There are some countries that burn their garbage to generate electricity, seems Thailand would have no proble doing the same since they generate much more than average country.

It is amazing how things go left unresolved. There are problems with the roads around where I live that have been that way for seven years.

They have plenty of money for all those fancy uniforms the politicians and bureaucrats wear.

Enough before I get a knock on the Door.

Dear General/PM keep flushing the device, the water is not pure yet !! But quit interrupting the Franag TV Programs, Thanks !!

Archived