plastic drop sheets (or some substitute)

konisaan

I tried Homepro for disposable plastic drop sheets for painting but all they were able to show me is big rolls of cling wrap which won't do. Anyone has seen them in the collection of hardware stores that runs between the moat and Panthip Plaza?

I supposes I could buy some monster garbage bags at Macro and cut them to lie flat.

May I suggest you buy some cheap muslin fabric? The issue with plastic is the drops don't soak in, you walk on them end up with paint everywhere. That's my hard-won experience.

I see your point, but muslin it a very loose weave like cheese cloth isn't it? Cloth drop sheets are made of a material more like canvas to serve a barrier while being adsorbent to a degree.

I was after plastic mainly because the sheets are so large and you can drop them over furniture of any size. If I picked up cloth at the markets, it's only going to 1.5 meters wide.

Blue tarp isn't ideal either but may have to compromise.

Go to global and buy the purpose made protection plastic. Costs nothing and great for throwing over furniture. Its very thin guage and a big sheet.

Dont agree about muslin cloth whilst it dries quicker it will also go through..

I prefer not to have any sheets on the floor here....with carpets yes but i find them more of a hindrance and a tripping hazard.

Its much easier to have a bowl of water and a kitchen sponge to wipe up drips as you go. Even if you miss some its dead easy to wipe off tiles.

And use narrow strip of card on the floor adjacent to the wall to get that neat edge.

• Like 2

Muslin is closely woven enuf for drop cloth purposes. You're right, professional painters use light canvas. You can buy cheap cloth at any decent Thai market, the sort where they sell clothing, etc. There will be a section of the market devoted to fabrics. Here in Chiang Mai, there is the Warorot Market, ideal for this.

Forget Global called this morning.

The usual mai mee out of stock.

I do like to go there but they rarely have anything in stock that you need.

39bt black plastic paint trays have been out of stock for two weeks now and 72 aimless staff doing nothing about it.

• Like 2

Forget Global called this morning.

The usual mai mee out of stock.

I do like to go there but they rarely have anything in stock that you need.

39bt black plastic paint trays have been out of stock for two weeks now and 72 aimless staff doing nothing about it.

They have a saying in Russia: As long as the bosses pretend to pay us, we will pretend to work.

• Like 2

You can buy plastic sheeting (several different thickness) at Talaat Kamthieng at the chemical supply shop. They sell them from large rolls in bulk.

Where in Kamthieng is this shop located? I've only seen plants, pets, and fish shops. Thanks.

• Like 1

You can buy plastic sheeting (several different thickness) at Talaat Kamthieng at the chemical supply shop. They sell them from large rolls in bulk.

Where in Kamthieng is this shop located? I've only seen plants, pets, and fish shops. Thanks.

18.804942, 98.998205
Look for the garden supply shop in the area of the orchid shops

post-23568-0-72587100-1430108995_thumb.p

post-23568-0-39335900-1430109177_thumb.p

Edited by sfokevin

I visited Kamthien Market this afternoon, and had no difficulty locating several shops selling plastic sheeting. Once I learned (here in the forum) that it was sold by the meter off large rolls, it was easy to spot the places selling it.

Konisan, you will fined exactly what you need for painting dropsheets. The rolls I found, in several different thicknesses, were at least 2 meters tall (some were taller.) I paid 80 baht per linear meter of a thickness that would work well for painting. I actually wanted a bit thinner, but couldn't find it.

The place in sfokvin's post had it, as did a large place on the main road parallel to the road between the moat and the superhighway, right next to a very large open-front Plastic Bag shop on the west side of the street.

I visited Kamthien Market this afternoon, and had no difficulty locating several shops selling plastic sheeting. Once I learned (here in the forum) that it was sold by the meter off large rolls, it was easy to spot the places selling it.

Konisan, you will fined exactly what you need for painting dropsheets. The rolls I found, in several different thicknesses, were at least 2 meters tall (some were taller.) I paid 80 baht per linear meter of a thickness that would work well for painting. I actually wanted a bit thinner, but couldn't find it.

The place in sfokvin's post had it, as did a large place on the main road parallel to the road between the moat and the superhighway, right next to a very large open-front Plastic Bag shop on the west side of the street.

Thanks, that's useful info.

I discovered garbage bags at Macro that can be cut open to 2x1.2 metres - not bad, cheap, nice and thin and black so you can see drop marks from just about any colour so you don't step in them. Cheap shower curtain might also do the trick.

Thanks, that's useful info.

I discovered garbage bags at Macro that can be cut open to 2x1.2 metres - not bad, cheap, nice and thin and black so you can see drop marks from just about any colour so you don't step in them. Cheap shower curtain might also do the trick.

The sheeting that I bought was considerably thicker than garbage bag material. Not something you might accidentally scuff up by dragging a foot. In fact, it WAS garbage bag thickness that I wanted for 'my' project, but settled for the thicker material.