Mayweather/Pacquiao fight on May 3rd in Pattaya Dark Side

ongengwai

Totally disagree, Tyson was a completely stage managed marginal fighter usually pitted against smaller opponents with spotty records or glass jaws....as soon as he fought anyone with decent basics, he was toast...... Holyfield, Lewis and Douglas all made mince meat out of him.....and all the pre-fight hype is usually just to sell tickets....

It's interesting to read all the different opinions.

Personally I hate Mayweather and think he's a pussy for running away for the best part of the fight BUT you have to admire his ability to avoid getting hit. His career ( although his record is outstanding ) could have been a lot more glamorous had he been more aggressive in his fights, the ability is there. As someone compares him to being greater than Ali, perhaps so, Ali IMO was not all that, a lot of Ali was about the hype / charisma etc.

During the build up and fight I thought there was too much buddy buddy, no needle at weigh in, too much glove touching in the fight etc etc, it's always a much better fight ( between whoever ) if there's a bit of an edge.

Pac-Man was there to fight - he's a proper boxer, likes to get into a good scrap but now perhaps beyond his best years.

Best fighter ever, as someone has mentioned - Mike Tyson, had it all in his early years, intensity / aggression / drive / skill / power / dedication, IMO - he's been the latest GREAT fighter in my time.

MMA - hhhmmm...... Although I like to watch it sometimes it'll never be at the same level as entertainment as todays boxing match. i'd say while Tyson was in his prime perhaps 80-90% of everyone on the planet knew who he was, ask the regular Joe, they won't be ale to name 1 MMA fighter.

Anyway just my opinions for what it's worth.

That's a bummer about the 'brown out' in PH before the fight!!

Edited by tailspin

Totally disagree, Tyson was a completely stage managed marginal fighter usually pitted against smaller opponents with spotty records or glass jaws....as soon as he fought anyone with decent basics, he was toast...... Holyfield, Lewis and Douglas all made mince meat out of him.....and all the pre-fight hype is usually just to sell tickets....

Personally I hate Mayweather and think he's a pussy for running away for the best part of the fight BUT you have to admire his ability to avoid getting hit. His career ( although his record is outstanding ) could have been a lot more glamorous had he been more aggressive in his fights, the ability is there. As someone compares him to being greater than Ali, perhaps so, Ali IMO was not all that, a lot of Ali was about the hype / charisma etc.

During the build up and fight I thought there was too much buddy buddy, no needle at weigh in, too much glove touching in the fight etc etc, it's always a much better fight ( between whoever ) if there's a bit of an edge.

Pac-Man was there to fight - he's a proper boxer, likes to get into a good scrap but now perhaps beyond his best years.

Best fighter ever, as someone has mentioned - Mike Tyson, had it all in his early years, intensity / aggression / drive / skill / power / dedication, IMO - he's been the latest GREAT fighter in my time.

MMA - hhhmmm...... Although I like to watch it sometimes it'll never be at the same level as entertainment as todays boxing match. i'd say while Tyson was in his prime perhaps 80-90% of everyone on the planet knew who he was, ask the regular Joe, they won't be ale to name 1 MMA fighter.

Holyfield was his nemesis, even from amateur days - granted, he was boring though.

Lewis fought him when he was already finished / f**ked up.

Don't remember Douglas fight.

They can't have all been smaller than Tyson, he was a small HW??

Anyway, this is not about Tyson.

The opinions of MW / PAC man are interesting as are the MMA vs Boxing ones.

Holyfield was his nemesis, even from amateur days - granted, he was boring though.

I'll bet Tyson is green with envy over Mayweather's income for this fight. Tyson's purse for Lewis vs Tyson was only (LOL only) $17.5 million.

I'll bet Tyson is green with envy over Mayweather's income for this fight. Tyson's purse for Lewis vs Tyson was only (LOL only) $17.5 million.

Few years ago though.

One would also think Tyson had a helluva time partying during his prime - lucky sod!

what tyson created was a spectacle - that's what sells in the ring today. As for the tired mma vs boxing argument, can we give that a rest pls ? many full contact martial artists have boxing coaches - they wouldnt bother if it was all about kicking and grappling.

what tyson created was a spectacle - that's what sells in the ring today. As for the tired mma vs boxing argument, can we give that a rest pls ? many full contact martial artists have boxing coaches - they wouldnt bother if it was all about kicking and grappling.

LOL, I would have given it a rest if you'd not brought it up gain.

You totally missed the point. A kick boxer takes out a boxer very quickly because he soon loses his legs and you can't box without legs. This is not an argument - it's an established fact - you'll find many videos of boxers trying their luck against kick boxers.

Of course an MMA athlete needs the full basket of tricks, but those guys kick AND box, but as kick-boxers, not boxers. There's a big difference.

Edited by tropo

Actually you are the one who claimed Tyson was the greatest ever so it is a statement worth examining, rather than attempting to change the subject......a bit strange that you never heard of the Buster Douglas fight....Douglas was yet another long shot tomato can being fed to Tyson with a view to future paydays. Instead Douglas knocked him out in one of the biggest upsets ever in boxing....and you have never heard of that??????

As for Tyson's size, he is 5'10" which is very small for a heavyweight. Imagine him fighting Klitschko?

Many of the guys he fought were also not true heavyweights....Michael Spinks, even Holyfield were light heavyweights, or cruiserweights....

Most of the other guys he fought in his run to the top were either over the hill or soft punching guys with glass jaws.....the promoters are masters at creating these match-ups to build up a fierce looking record....looks like they fooled you as well?

Loved him in the Hangover movies though, except when he sang!

Edited by tailspin

Boxing is dead after this fight. What a snoozer.

MMA. Way more exciting than boxing.

https://youtu.be/Caeslg_wYOs

Of course this all depends on the fights you're comparing it to. MMA has a great deal of snoozers too, and they do it laying down LOL.

biggrin.png

That "laying down" is called "wrestling", and is arguably an older sport and "activity" than boxing. When two unarmed humans go at it for real, they often end up grappling on the ground.

MMA is still, after 20 years, in it's early development stage. An earlier poster asked who could name a famous MMA fighter. A fan of MMA could name several, and there are a lot more current fans of MMA than there are of boxing. The world-wide media hype of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight created a lot of interest among non-fans of boxing. UFC regularly sells out venues around the world and will continue to develop as aspiring fighters develop their skills and enter the octagon.

It's unquestionably a more exciting "blood-sport".

The fight in question did nothing for the reputation of professional boxing. Witness the booing of the audience, who paid big money to be there.

At least Manny seems to be a decent, though now very rich, human being. Unlike "Money", who seems to reserve his best shots for the women in his life......

There are several fighters in the 145lb. division of MMA who would quickly make mincemeat of Mayweather and his undefeated record...

The discussion over the points scoring in the "Big Fight" misses the point. We tuned in for a fight, not figure-skating.

Checkout Youtube for the very recent UFC Johnson-Horiguchi fight. Though they are 125lb. class, I would put my money on Johnson over Mayweather.

Not a big fan of MMA, many boring fights and there are way too many rules, even though people are always saying there are no rules. Examples include restrictions on elbow strikes, kicks etc. It is basically now another sport like boxing, points karate.

I liked it much better in its early days before it became commercialized.....

Boxing is dead after this fight. What a snoozer.

MMA. Way more exciting than boxing.

https://youtu.be/Caeslg_wYOs

Of course this all depends on the fights you're comparing it to. MMA has a great deal of snoozers too, and they do it laying down LOL.

biggrin.png

That "laying down" is called "wrestling", and is arguably an older sport and "activity" than boxing. When two unarmed humans go at it for real, they often end up grappling on the ground.

MMA is still, after 20 years, in it's early development stage. An earlier poster asked who could name a famous MMA fighter. A fan of MMA could name several, and there are a lot more current fans of MMA than there are of boxing. The world-wide media hype of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight created a lot of interest among non-fans of boxing. UFC regularly sells out venues around the world and will continue to develop as aspiring fighters develop their skills and enter the octagon.

It's unquestionably a more exciting "blood-sport".

The fight in question did nothing for the reputation of professional boxing. Witness the booing of the audience, who paid big money to be there.

At least Manny seems to be a decent, though now very rich, human being. Unlike "Money", who seems to reserve his best shots for the women in his life......

biggrin.png

Thanks for stating the obvious. Wrestling has never been an entertainment sport because it is a very boring sport to watch.

There are several fighters in the 145lb. division of MMA who would quickly make mincemeat of Mayweather and his undefeated record...

Nonsense! Not fighting under Queensberry rules... or were you suggesting they fight MMA rules?

Anyway, we now know there's a good reason why the fight was rather boring. Pacquiao was throwing punches at half his usual rate. Why? He was suffering from a torn rotator cuff which occurred during sparring about 3 weeks before the fight... and it apparently flared up in the 3rd round. It's so severe that's he's going to have surgery on it this week....

...now he's totally f**ked IMO. He lied on the NSAC questionnaire (under penalty of perjury) that he didn't have any shoulder injuries... then later on asked for an anti-inflammatory and pain killers before the fight, which they refused to give him.

Lawsuits have already been lodged in Nevada (1st one up to $5 million in damages) and they'll likely be many more to follow... and he's probably going to lose his licence to fight in Nevada AND fined AND charged for perjury.

Will he even get paid if HBO and Showtime have to refund PPV payments? Perhaps Mayweather could sue him for lost income as well.

Now, after surgery he won't be able to fight again for about a year if ever.

Really, this big pay day could turn out to be the worst day of his life.

http://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-top-rank-koncz-sued-over-shoulder-injury--90655

The questionnaire (scroll down):http://www.businessinsider.com/manny-pacquiao-floyd-mayweather-shoulder-injury-2015-5

Edited by tropo

^^

New news to me, and sad if legal problems put the icing on the cake of this over-hyped fight...

And yes, Mayweather fighting under MMA rules. Just like the original premise of UFC. You brought your fighting style and and put it the test. There are many fighting styles and the early days saw fighters from many disciplines. Now there is a more sameness to the style as fighters have adopted styles that win. And wrestling is a major component, along with Muay Thai and conventional boxing. Brazilian Ju- jitsu also after Hoyce Gracie showed how submission holds could neutralize a physically stronger opponent.

Edited by bobbin