British driving licence holders wishing to rent a car in the UK

I have read on another site that as of June 8th 2015 British driving licence holders wishing to be hire a car in the UK will need to log onto a website and enter their driving licence number and NI number. This will generate a code which you will need to provide to the rental agent.

Apparently this has to do with the abolition of the paper part of the driving licence and the code will let the agent know how many points/disquals/etc you have against your licence.

Now... what was my NI number again?

confirmed in this article from the Grauniad

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/apr/25/dvla-driving-licence-paperless-car-hire

I also read about it yesterday. Apparently it is likely to cause massive problems for holidaymakers in Europe this summer, as a lot of the car hire companies either don't know anything about it, or are not prepared for it.

They normally require both parts of your DL before renting you a car. Those DVLC online generated codes will only have a limited time validity, (72hours) so this means even if you reserve your car online months ahead, you will still have to remember go online just before departing to get your government code.

Another example of the government trying to save costs by passing it onto their citizens. I will not be destroying the paper counterpart of my licence.

More info: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/24/advice-for-motorists-with-paper-driving-licences-how-theyll-be-affected-when-the-counterparts-abolished/

Be very careful who you rent from a lot of car hire scams in the UK and our UK government lets them get away with it.If you hire a car from a company called carhireuk.co be very careful yo u might find a real problem getting your policy excess back they know when you live abroad you will have a problem taking them to a county court that is the only way to try and get your monies back.

@billd766, I rented a car at Gatwick Airport a few weeks ago using my Thai licence, no problem and the guy didn't bat an eyelid.

You may have to pay slightly more for the rental being over 70, not 100% sure though.

That surprises me OG, I have been told that nothing but an international driving license will suffice, did you ask them when you booked the car if it was acceptable? Or did you just turn up with it?

@billd766, I rented a car at Gatwick Airport a few weeks ago using my Thai licence, no problem and the guy didn't bat an eyelid.

You may have to pay slightly more for the rental being over 70, not 100% sure though.

That surprises me OG, I have been told that nothing but an international driving license will suffice, did you ask them when you booked the car if it was acceptable? Or did you just turn up with it?

I just presented my Thai licence when I collected my pre-booked and pre-paid car at Gatwick.

I'd booked the car via Travel supermarket, I paid £175 for an eleven day rental for a Ford Focus. The car was to be supplied by Avis.

The guy had my home address as Thailand and didn't question my Thai licence being presented.

As I have excess insurance I expected £1000 to be blocked on my card, however they only blocked £70 being the cost of a tank of fuel, this was unblocked a couple of days after a returned the car full.

Avis require that an overseas licence be in the Roman Alphabet, only if it isn't is an IDP required.

If your licence is in non-roman alphabet (e.g. Japanese), you will need the original licence AND an international driving permit.
  • Like 2