How do I get export license for computer part sent for repairs?

keeniau96

About one year ago I sent by EMS mail a defective computer motherboard to the manufacturer (EVGA) in Taiwan after receiving RMA from them. They fixed it very quickly and sent back to me (Phuket) by DHL (their choice and pay). I got call from customs agent in Bangkok wanting to know info re the item so that customs could charge proper duty. I explained that it was a used item sent for repair and the same one is now coming back. Agent said that unless I had a certificate or license of some form attesting to my exporting of the defective item I would have to pay duty. Whine, whine, unkind words, no help. So it got classified as computer part, I said it was valued about 6k baht new (which was OK) and I wound up paying about 900 baht, with 600 to the customs and 300 to the agent.

Now I have another, very different defective motherboard that I want to send RMA to Asus in Taiwan using EMS. So would like to get such a export license or certificate to avoid the customs hassle on return. Any info on how to do this would be much appreciated.

At such small values I doubt it makes sense.

But what did the EVGA declare? If they declare, returned motherboard from repair: 5 USD I doubt you pay anything.

If they send EMS you don't need an agent, you can direct negotiate.....

Hard to talk about sense with Thai customs dept.

The EVGA shipment was labeled as repaired motherboard, no value

The EVGA shipment was DHL as their choice, their cost. I have received other shipments by China Post, USA postal Service, EMS, never a hassle.

I want advice on the export aspect.

You say you got a bad motherboard. My question is did you buy the motherboard here in Thailand or did you buy it direct. If you bought it from a vendor here, then they will exchange the motherboard (providing it's still under warranty at no cost to you and the vendor will take care of the exchange. You only need to drop the part off, let them confirm it's bad and they take care of the rest. You only need to pick up your new part when it arrives--and maybe, maybe pay a small fee for their trouble (100 - 200 Baht.

If you bought it direct, then it's usually pot luck as to whether or not customs intercepts your shipment.

No need to hassle with import/export licenses, find a good vendor like Banana, or JIB computers, a well capitalized mom and pop shop or even that Alien shop in Phuket and they will special order anything you'd like and you don't have to worry about customs or which delivery service is used.

Been here for years (14+), been doing this for years, and it works for me.

Just so you know that Asus has a service depot here in Bangkok, that you can take your motherboard to, and if it's under warranty there replace it free for you. I did it with an Asus Modem that I had. Asus service depot is near Fortune Town.

The EVGA shipment was DHL as their choice, their cost. I have received other shipments by China Post, USA postal Service, EMS, never a hassle.

Any shipments coming in by Courier (Fedex, DHL, etc) will incur customs charges.

Whereas, incoming shipments by POST don't incur customs charges.

Tell the company to send it back to you by EMS (Speedpost) and not by courier.

Any shipments coming in by Courier (Fedex, DHL, etc) will incur customs charges.

Whereas, incoming shipments by POST don't incur customs charges.

Tell the company to send it back to you by EMS (Speedpost) and not by courier.

Most of my stuff arrives OK by post but customs do random checks

I seem to recall that in this situation (when the amounts warrant it), you need to get a document from Customs Departmemt BEFORE you send it out of the country, stating duty has already been paid and that on return no further duty to be paid.

I've never had a situation where the amount warranted the hassle so not been through it, but I believe there is a process as above.

I have an import and export license, I still get charged even if its defective product returned, thats the way Thai custom works. They don't give a damn if it was made here sent out for repair and return.

Your best be to avoid taxes is shipping with EMS, avoid UPS/DHL/FEDEX.