Man arrested in Bangkok for shooting a traffic policeman

webfact

I see them stop trucks and vans on the service roads of Rama II Road. But to stop trucks, vans and many cars on the streets in BKK would only make the traffic worse.

Too many guns in the hands of untrained and uncontrolled. What was he doing with a gun, did he have a permit and waht was he hiding ??

I guess he got tired of handing out gratuities to the cops

Makes me wonder why they always pick on the motorcycles and not the cars, vans and trucks?

Are the just fast easy targets?

Dont agree with violence or guns but...I recall the movie "Network" quote "I'm As Mad As Hell and I'm Not Gonna Take This Anymore!".vast majority of locals commuting to work in heavy traffic exhaust fume polluted air and temperatures 40°C just trying to make a living on low pay getting extorted by these guys for some imagined offence...

You have proof the police were shaking down the motorists, do you? Around my way there are frequent road blocks, mainly it seems for checking the license fee has been paid, and not once has anyone asked for a donation. It's called doing their job, that's all. Saying that someone is justified in pulling a gun because the weather is hot is pathetic.

• Like 1

Dont agree with violence or guns but...I recall the movie "Network" quote "I'm As Mad As Hell and I'm Not Gonna Take This Anymore!".vast majority of locals commuting to work in heavy traffic exhaust fume polluted air and temperatures 40°C just trying to make a living on low pay getting extorted by these guys for some imagined offence...

You have proof the police were shaking down the motorists, do you? Around my way there are frequent road blocks, mainly it seems for checking the license fee has been paid, and not once has anyone asked for a donation. It's called doing their job, that's all. Saying that someone is justified in pulling a gun because the weather is hot is pathetic.

Here in Chiang Mai there are daily roadblocks for motorcyclists, presumably because they are having a 'crackdown' on wearing helmets....seems to me they are doing their job and having some effect. Since motorcyclists represent the vast majority of road deaths they are the most obvious place to improve safety. The fact they are small and easy to target / manage on the roadside is a bonus. This is not to say the BiB should not be sorting out the buses, trucks and pickups full of workers; they clearly should. I've been stopped many times and never been asked for a back-hander; it's always been a ticket and off to pay the fine if I'm out without my license or forgotten to renew registration. I'd just like to see them putting more thought into where the roadblocks are, rather than creating a traffic hazard at busy intersections.

The poor cop was probably reaching for his ticket book not his side-arm. As others have said, Thailand has some serious firearm and attitude problems and this incident reflects that more than anything.

Let's get this perspective. Irrespective if there was a check point or not why was he carrying a gun? I very much doubt if it was because the gun followed him. He had a gun with intent to do wrong. All the arguments in the world will not make the fact of him carrying a gun as right.

This guy was out to do something that was going to end badly for someone.

Now he has been caught, forget his excuses, lock him up for a minimum of 30 years on an attempted murder charge.

This person, and he isn't the only one I know, is a danger to society.

If they had the proper documents, they would not worry about being stopped, a motorcycle licence is what 150 Baht? A fine is 400 Baht, no sence!!

You're almost certainly trolling, but what the heck:

- A few hundred baht is a significant sum to many Thais and 400 baht is a daily wage for many.

- Having proper documents may not be enough to avoid a 'fine'.

- And it's spelt sense, not sence.

How would you feel continuing your journey to work after your entire day's wages had already been stolen?

What a croc of shit, and i take it every body drives a bike with a gun on them, they forget to wear helmets, but never forget to pack their gun, do Thai people think that the rest of the world as as dumb as some of them

If they had the proper documents, they would not worry about being stopped, a motorcycle licence is what 150 Baht? A fine is 400 Baht, no sence!!

You're almost certainly trolling, but what the heck:

- A few hundred baht is a significant sum to many Thais and 400 baht is a daily wage for many.

- Having proper documents may not be enough to avoid a 'fine'.

- And it's spelt sense, not sence.

How would you feel continuing your journey to work after your entire day's wages had already been stolen?

It would not make me want to kill some one, the same in the UK, speeding and thats your money gone for that day,

Let's get this perspective. Irrespective if there was a check point or not why was he carrying a gun? I very much doubt if it was because the gun followed him. He had a gun with intent to do wrong. All the arguments in the world will not make the fact of him carrying a gun as right.

This guy was out to do something that was going to end badly for someone.

Now he has been caught, forget his excuses, lock him up for a minimum of 30 years on an attempted murder charge.

This person, and he isn't the only one I know, is a danger to society.

i agree, just another dumb arse who thinks he got a valid excuse and that people will feel sorry for him, the only thing people will feel is him, when he is doing his prison time

Damn this makes me feel like I'm back home Thank you Thailand". Note to self: don't piss off any Thai's unless packing my self.

And dont forget to take your gun to school when you drop off the kids incase they try to shake you down for a few baht