Does VPN slow down my computer speed?

elgordo38

I have 3BB and when I turn the VPN off I get close to 8 download and close to .39 on the upload. When I turn on the VPN the computer almost comes to a halt. I got DL .20 and UL .09 and well this sounds rather ridiculous. I can see some lose of speed using a VPN but this much seems unreasonable. It has just started doing this in the last week or so. I have also noticed 3BB really slowing down in the last month or so. Any answers out there. Does one call 3BB and request a service call or will they blame it on the VPN. Would like to share any and all experiences on the subject. Sorry Charlie if I have put this in the wrong place.

Has the VPN always been slow or is this something new?

There are more hops using a VPN and it's likely to slow down some. (Routing through the VPN server.)

If you are connecting with L2TP/IPSec, try using OpenVPN. With OpenVPN, also try the TCP service.

I have been using Hola for years with no slow down. At first, I used the free version. It worked so well that I opted for the enhanced version @ $5.00 per month which is faster as well. Try the free version and see if it works better then the one you are using...

• Like 1

There's so many different things which could cause this... but I guess broadly the problems would fall into two categories. The VPN has crummy bandwidth / throughput, or the VPN has high latency.

To check the latency first, and if it's not that then the problem is probably throughput.

To check the latency...

• first figure out how to ping something
  • then turn off the vpn and ping something (probably whatever server you were trying to use with the VPN)
  • then turn on the vpn and ping that same server

If there's a big change in the times then the VPN is causing a latency problem.

Based on your comment, I have no idea what you're trying to do.. but obviously if you're sitting in Chiang Mai trying to access thaijobjob.com via a vpn with an endpoint in the US, then sending your data around the world "in transit" is going to slow down your connection. Many VPN services provide a variety of endpoints, so you might be able to change it.

Can say no better than: depends on VPN.

Which VPN do you use?

Which server location do you use?

I once tested a VPN named "Perfect Privacy". Fast as hell.

Many connections/downloads to international sites faster than without VPN.

Pretty expensive.

Actually I use Cyber Ghost which has tons of servers and multiple locations.

Speed varies extremely on choosen location/server.

For "privacy" I use a Japan server.

Gives about 4 Mbit/s download.

When I use a Switzerland server trying to watch a free IPTV service (wilmaa.com): useless, buffering, buffering.

Just to mention the obvious: none of those free VPN / proxy offerings will deliver high speed.

Too good to be true.

There is no free lunch.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I tried hola and found it didn't unblock some websites and was also really slow.

Expatshield is another pc based program. It is generally ok and reliable.

If you have an android device go into the play store and i stall "vpn gate list" and "openVPN connect". They work together. You open the gate list and choose to sort the list of vpns by speed, refresh the list, pick the one from the top of the list which will be fastest. ping time etc is listed. Import to vpn connect and start it up. Done. Just don't choose a vpn from a country that also censors internet.

Some VPN's are fronts for malware. So be careful. If your system is being slowed down it is only one of two things, a virus/malware, or the VPn you use is overloaded which only happens with free VPN's or lower maintaned commercial products.

In many countries where a VPN is necessary, it should actually speed things up because the government has local ISPs under scan.

what will slow it down is the minimum bandwidth available in any section of your connection. When you connect to the internet it isn't a straight connection it passes through a variety of switches and routers. A low bandwidth in any section will essential dictate the connection bandwidth

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

top 10 VPN's 2015

so i signed up for number 1 - fastest speed, most servers etc.

3BB ISP and had a VPN server in Bangkok

tried every combo

and still couldnt get 30% download

got a refund

Did you try Hotspot Shield the Elite version? I use that and dont have a problem

Technically, any time you enable VPN your throughput is going to suffer, for 2 simple reasons...

1) You are adding a proxy to your connection to route internet traffic on your behalf... This adds at least 1 hop count and usually more... Each hop takes time and will increase latency...

2) The VPN has to encrypt the data stream before routing it to your IP... Once you receive each packet, it has to be decoded before use...

Both of the above will increase response time and latency... How much it effects you depends on the speed of your network and the connected resources... In the case of accessing content in the US via VPN, you have to route that traffic over already over-subscribed circuits from Thailand to the US, then add in the overhead of the VPN tunneling... The result is a slow connection at peak hours of usage... I use 3bb and have a 30/3 fiber connection... Streaming content from the US yesterday afternoon was no problem until about 17:00... After that, I could not get anything to stream without excessive buffering...

VPN does not slow noticeably when accessing data within the Country but due to very low bandwidth at Thailand's international gateway, virtually all traffic will slow right down. Business's often overcome this problem by using high speed leased lines from third party providers.

3BB are quite good on their responses and if you are experiencing poor performance they can restart the line and increase bandwidth on the fly. Run one the Broadband Checkers to see what you are really getting.

• Like 1

Depends on which VPN you are using and where the server is located. I use Zenmate which is free and you can connect through Germany, UK, USA, Switzerland and Hong Kong. If it slows you can just change which country you are being routed through. I have tested the speed and it is pretty good to perfect all of the time. I use it with Firefox and it sits as a browser add on. You just click on and off as you want and change server/country with just one click. Doesnt work with Internet Explorer but thats no big loss. Out performs Hola by a long way and it is totaly free.

I had a similar problem under WIn7. The VPN would add over 20% to CPU usage and cause programs that use the network to hog memory and CPU. One day I had strange network problems so I uninstalled my VPN's software and the driver for my wifi connector, then re-installed. No more resource hogging!

I don't know if you're familiar with the process, but just in case: remove VPN stuff via WIn program manager or whatever utility you choose. Then go to Device Manager (under Control Panel) and uninstall the driver for your network connector (wifi, ethernet connector, or which ever), have driver installer handy if needed. Reboot, Win should re-install the network driver (be sure you saved your old network data, like router password and DNS addresses) , and when you're up and running re-install VPN software.

Before rebooting you may want to run your favorite registry cleaner.

If you try this, let us know if it helps.

Have 2 ... Zenmate in Chrome browser and Hotspot Shield..

Mostly use Zenmate and set to UK, can then read the UK Newspapers etc...... on True only option where I live for past 11+ years.... This site Thaivisa is often a problem going back years just hangs will not open correct or times out, No data sent..!!...... for this site a VPN from Singapore is the fastest.... last few weeks F1 and ESPN F1 sites have mostly timed out with True, fastest is a VPN Germany, both open but slower with VPN set UK.. do find set on USA it is a hit and miss affair.... at least Zenmate makes it easy to just set to a different Country and re-load...... time of day also I notice make a difference

Just find it a bit odd that some sites ending in co.th will open faster with using a VPN, others will not open at all.. a Thai friend here yesterday was watching Thai TV on my PC, perfect only noticed later they did not change and was still set on VPN Germany.. No problem.