Shortage of labour in Thailand likely to reach 300,000-600,000 in next 3-5 years

webfact

There's a terrible shortage of skilled craftsmen in Bangkok now at any price. A good friend is having a hard time converting his guest house into efficiency apartments because he can't find carpenters, plumbers, tile layers, etc. and he's offering double the old wages but he won't let the workers live on-site and he has had some who lied about their skill level so now he has to personally supervise all work. He's not a happy camper as he is losing money because of the down time from closing the guest house until he can begin leasing apartments; which he can't do until all work is completed. I wish the vocational schools could focus their student's attention on learning a trade instead of joining a school mob to attack other school mobs. I would like to see some retired Farangs allowed to informally teach some of the building trades. It would certainly benefit the country and the Farang would benefit from having skilled workers available. I want to build a house and am willing to train my workforce but it is not allowed. Education, of all types, is the major impediment to improving lives in this country. You can only blame the 'Elite' so much for willful ignorance.

Im an expat of 14yrs here in Thailand and a ex Forman Bricklayer who has managed many many contracts over the yrs, when you look at the new builds it is absolutely a joke there is no tradesmen here. So if you ever here of anyone wanting a teacher give me a call, i believe that companies here would get a lot better quality work done if they used more Farangs

The road-block is government xenophobia. I've never heard of a Farang teaching at a trade-school. If someone on this forum knows more about this, please post.

I grew up in the country and tried most of the building trades before I moved to Dallas (no money in the country), I became a construction foreman for commercial high-rise buildings because of my varied experience. I'm not a master tradesman but have a lot to offer; especially compared to the skill levels available in Thailand now. (my experience was also useful for teaching the Mexican immigrants who were most of my crews).

Go to Cambodia they will listen to you there. Thailand is only interested in Thais and face.

I got a friend he is the sixth of 11 children of a poor street vendor who migrated to Bangkok from southern China. He left school early, at the age of nine, to work. He never seemed to have a problem with Thai workers.

Another guy I know started with a 2,000 dollar loan and a bunch of Thai employees.

Then there is this fellow; Malaysian-born Tan started out as an unskilled laborer at 17 before purchasing his first business -- a newstand --and eventually moving into real estate. He lost it all in 1997, then rebuilt his fortune starting with a chain of wedding studios.

You might know their names.....

Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi Net worth US Dollars 12.2 billion.

Bill heinike Net worth US Dollars 1.1 Billion

Tan Passakornnatee: Mr Oishi Net worth US Dollars 640 million

I guess some people know how to handle Thai employes and some don't.

When you're hot you're hot.

LOL, you actually think your "friends" made money the "clean" way?giggle.gif

LOL. So? What does that have to do with anything? giggle.gif

If you wanted clean why on earth did you come to Thailand?cheesy.gif

Three self made men. From nothing to mega rich in Thailand. There is a lesson there for those wise enough to learn it. The three men above did not wine and moan they worked. They failed and fell down and got back up again dusted themselves off and went on. wai2.gif

Thailand needs labor because the birth rate is too low. The kids are not doing it or using protection; either way they are not making enough babies.

The answer is simple; have more children and bring in more people from Burma.

You all have taken a thread about a severe labor shortage and turned it into the usual Thai bash. Thailand has more jobs than people - get over it.

The unemployment rate around here, Vietnam, Singapore and Thailand is 2% and down. In the West it is 5% and up. Wonder why? More jobs than people in SEA.

Well, one glorious obvious advantage. They are all now Thai......

I'm spouting the reverse of what most people have been bashing on about in this thread which is the sorry state of Thai employees. The three guys I mentioned have all done very well and become billionaires using Thai employees. When confronted with facts you start trashing success saying it must be dirty.

What we have on your part is jealousy because you could not compete in the real rough and tumble world of Thai business. Of course it's not easy. Some win some lose. Every dollar made in the commodities market is lost by someone else. There are always winners and losers. Losing economies run out of jobs not people hence the labor shortage in Thailand.

Again, they did not do well because of employees, they did well because of "dealings"

No, we do not have jealousy, i do not want nor need that much money.

One thing you fail to realize, this much money does not fall from the sky, nor does it come from employees,

Rest assured many people have been hurt, scammed and killed while above mentioned climbed.

While the life of rich looks great from the outside, it is far from great on the inside.thumbsup.gif

I am certain you will still struggle to understand, so make a visit to any super store and watch lazy ass employees playing on their phones without a single clue where anything is or what they are selling.

You do not think business losses money?

Many including myself, did not say we lost money, we all said staff are useless and cost money.

Do try to keep upfacepalm.gif

There is no morality in business that is what lawyers are for. Stop your off topic rantings. Tan started out as an unskilled laborer at 17 before purchasing his first business -- a newstand --and eventually moving into real estate. He lost it all in 1997, then rebuilt his fortune starting with a chain of wedding studios now he has almost a billion. Money are the check marks that measure success in business. Bad businessmen go out of business good businessmen get rich.

There are successful people in Thailand and lots of them that know how to work with Thai employees. You don't. If the Thai employees were that bad there would be high unemployment instead Thailand has low unemployment and labor shortages. Try and stay on topicgiggle.gif

My off topic ranting?

Let me get this right, you start to troll that some people are super rich and that somehow translated into everyone else loosing money, to then translated them being able to manage staff?

But i am off topic.

How about you pull your head out of that place where sun does not shine, stop trolling and try to at least understand.

Success has little to do with managing Thai staff, i am certain even an idiot can comprehend that by now.

These people could be 3 times richer if they had reliable staff. or 100 times poorer if they were not related to some general or senior government official,

• Like 1

I got a friend he is the sixth of 11 children of a poor street vendor who migrated to Bangkok from southern China. He left school early, at the age of nine, to work. He never seemed to have a problem with Thai workers.

Another guy I know started with a 2,000 dollar loan and a bunch of Thai employees.

Then there is this fellow; Malaysian-born Tan started out as an unskilled laborer at 17 before purchasing his first business -- a newstand --and eventually moving into real estate. He lost it all in 1997, then rebuilt his fortune starting with a chain of wedding studios.

I guess, at some time in the past, there were skilled Thai workers. The OP is talking about TODAY! and today, there is a shortage of skilled workers. I know you are responding to posters who claim Thai workers are lazy or not trainable (I don't believe that), but the OP really refers to the failure of the Thai education system and lack of apprentice programs within companies. If the education system and apprentice programs are not working, Thais are going to be relegated to the lowest-paid jobs in their own country while workers from AEC countries take the better jobs. I'd hate to see that.

There's a terrible shortage of skilled craftsmen in Bangkok now at any price. A good friend is having a hard time converting his guest house into efficiency apartments because he can't find carpenters, plumbers, tile layers, etc. and he's offering double the old wages but he won't let the workers live on-site and he has had some who lied about their skill level so now he has to personally supervise all work. He's not a happy camper as he is losing money because of the down time from closing the guest house until he can begin leasing apartments; which he can't do until all work is completed. I wish the vocational schools could focus their student's attention on learning a trade instead of joining a school mob to attack other school mobs. I would like to see some retired Farangs allowed to informally teach some of the building trades. It would certainly benefit the country and the Farang would benefit from having skilled workers available. I want to build a house and am willing to train my workforce but it is not allowed. Education, of all types, is the major impediment to improving lives in this country. You can only blame the 'Elite' so much for willful ignorance.

Im an expat of 14yrs here in Thailand and a ex Forman Bricklayer who has managed many many contracts over the yrs, when you look at the new builds it is absolutely a joke there is no tradesmen here. So if you ever here of anyone wanting a teacher give me a call, i believe that companies here would get a lot better quality work done if they used more Farangs

The road-block is government xenophobia. I've never heard of a Farang teaching at a trade-school. If someone on this forum knows more about this, please post.

I grew up in the country and tried most of the building trades before I moved to Dallas (no money in the country), I became a construction foreman for commercial high-rise buildings because of my varied experience. I'm not a master tradesman but have a lot to offer; especially compared to the skill levels available in Thailand now. (my experience was also useful for teaching the Mexican immigrants who were most of my crews).

Go to Cambodia they will listen to you there. Thailand is only interested in Thais and face.

I like Thailand. My friends and connections are in Thailand. I like Cambodians but I won't contribute a satang to support the thug, Hun Sen, President for Life!

they are renovating a place opposite my condo, i have seen some dodgy brickwork in my time but this takes the biscuit, what they want is to go out and buy some "bricky mates" as per tv ads, at least that might start them off, to get a straight line, lol !!

Glad you mentioned Charoen Siriwatthanaphakdi as the man who made it because he knew how to handle Thai labor.

Look what I found about your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charoen_Sirivadhanabhakdi

Prem Tinsulanonda, the former military general and prime minister of Thailand who sat on ThaiBev’s board of directors in the early 2000s, helped rescue Charoen’s Surathip Group, the distributor of Chang beer, in 1986. The company at the time owed THB 14 billion (approximately US$450 million) to banks and THB 6 billion (approximately $190 million) to the state before Tinsulanonda reportedly stepped in to help the company gain a monopoly over the liquor industry by restructuring contracts to reduce annual “burdens”.[12] Chang was also reportedly classified as an “economy brand”, which meant a lower excise tax.[13]

Protection of Business Interests

Since the Asian financial crisis of 1997 and attempts to further liberalize Thailand’s competition laws in 1999, Charoen has on occasion been able to use his political connections to increase his dominance over the country’s alcohol industry.

Similar stories can be found about your other friends.

I guess, at some time in the past, there were skilled Thai workers. The OP is talking about TODAY! and today, there is a shortage of skilled workers. I know you are responding to posters who claim Thai workers are lazy or not trainable (I don't believe that), but the OP really refers to the failure of the Thai education system and lack of apprentice programs within companies. If the education system and apprentice programs are not working, Thais are going to be relegated to the lowest-paid jobs in their own country while workers from AEC countries take the better jobs. I'd hate to see that.

There were no skilled Thai labor in the past. The people Lostoday mention don't have a business that requires skilled labor, and if you look at my other post, it is clear that they made their fortune with a little help of their friends.

I don't see how there possibly can be any shortage of labour, not atleast when it comes to "simple" work. I mean, every single shop i go into in Thailand there are way, waaaaaayyyyyyy, too many employees considering how small the shops usually are. For instance a 80-100 sq. m. coffee shop with ~10 tables can easily have 8 working there. For instance a similar coffee shop in Sweden rarely has more than 2 employees. Or the restaurant, which has like 20 tables, near my apartment in Sweden has 3 employees. The best equipped gym i go to now in Ubon has like 10 employees and 6 of them are "personal trainers". Sure, the gym is open like 16-18 hours a day but even then you wouldn't need more than 3 or maybe 4 employees.

Now i have never owned a business in Thailand but my only guess is that a very large majority of the "simple work" employees are very bad at what they do, lazy or just don't give a f***.

Every company in Thailand has 3-4-5 times as much personell compared to a similar company in Europe.

Maybe we should teach them how to work efficient?

I'm sure that is part of the answer. More babies. More immigration and more efficient work force. And robots,

The people who are successful managers will make money and others won't.

Every company in Thailand has 3-4-5 times as much personell compared to a similar company in Europe.

Inefficiency is not from a lack of knowledge, but from a lack of professionalism. They have a 'I don't give a damn' attitude, seen commonly in the work ethics of civil servants.

I agree with some of you in terms of efficiency. At my condo there are three security guards whose sole job is to press the elevator button when a resident walks up.

I went with a friend to buy a new phone at a mobile shop in Central Festival and they had one "tech" who knew about the phones, 5 staff standing around playing with the phones and 3 girls standing at the cashier with no customers checking out.

They have the labor available but inefficiently deployed.

Reminds me of a joke, how many Thais does it take to screw in a light bulb? Sadly the truth is more than one.

I'm sure that is part of the answer. More babies. More immigration and more efficient work force. And robots,

So, you want more babies, more immigrants, more robots ?

You mean:

You want a bigger slave labour pool to select from. Technical devices that make selection and wage dumping even easier.

And, of course, you wouldn't give a damn about those who didn't have the honour to be selected by you.

Guess that is not what Thai people want.

Having people is not the same as having sufficient people to perform higher level work. The basic education does not really encourage a good thought process. They need people who take decisions based on good information to guide them. They will learn but there is no people in sufficient numbers to move the process forward.

Guess there's enough people in Thailand highly motivated and willing to learn.

Imho good education is not implanting your own ideas into someone else's head. Just some initial kicks, maybe some small kicks for correction. The process of learning is an autonomous process, and the output might not 100pct fit your expectations. Gives you a good base to keep on trying, though.

One of the charming attitudes I learned from Thai people:

They are maybe not so good in (blind) obedience to authorities, but they're top when it comes to improvisation.

Edited by micmichd

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Guess there's enough people in Thailand highly motivated and willing to learn.
Imho good education is not implanting your own ideas into someone else's head. Just some initial kicks, maybe some small kicks for correction. The process of learning is an autonomous process, and the output might not 100pct fit your expectations. Gives you a good base to keep on trying, though.

One of the charming attitudes I learned from Thai people:
They are maybe not so good in (blind) obedience to authorities, but they're top when it comes to improvisation.

Within limitations they are agreed. However to learn anything you always get other peoples opinions. Saying they should not get othr peoples ideas is ridiculous

• Like 1

You mean:

You want a bigger slave labour pool to select from. Technical devices that make selection and wage dumping even easier.

And, of course, you wouldn't give a damn about those who didn't have the honour to be selected by you.

Why would you presume to completely change what I wrote. Thailand has lots of college grads and does not need any more. Thailand needs working people and ways to get jobs done. Not everyone can be a boss. Coco can design the dress in an office anywhere but you need people or robots to sew it.

It would take a whole lot of money and planning to move Oxford to Thailand. A lot easier to send one Thai guy to Oxford and make him PM when he comes back.

What about the millions of ''farmers'' that always need a hand. Surely they are able bodied people that could handle doing some hard labour.

No, see that is the problem. There will be a labor shortage of of 600,000 in the next 3 years.

The industry I work in hires Thai labour. They are trained, paid above average wages, and treated with respect and dignity. We now have many skilled Thais and experience very low turnover of personnel.

What industry? Are they university graduates? Does your company / industry have a proper training schedule / international licencing?

So, if you don't have enough human labour to do robot jobs, then use robots instead - but keep the use of robots within social limits.

Yes. They first used humans to plow and switched to water buffalo and then tractors. Same principle.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You mean:

Why would you presume to completely change what I wrote. Thailand has lots of college grads and does not need any more. Thailand needs working people and ways to get jobs done. Not everyone can be a boss. Coco can design the dress in an office anywhere but you need people or robots to sew it.

It would take a whole lot of money and planning to move Oxford to Thailand. A lot easier to send one Thai guy to Oxford and make him PM when he comes back.

Trouble with the universities in Thailand is that they dont develop the students to think and resolve problems. Most I have spoken with can solve a problem if the answer is in a text book, the others who can solve the problem have been working with people from outside of Thailand