Thailand not prepared for another massive earthquake, experts say

webfact

Thailand not prepared for another massive earthquake, experts say
Pratch Rujivanarom
The Nation
Chiang Rai

30259056-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND is not prepared for another devastating earthquake, Asia Institute of Technology professor Dr Pennung Warnitchai said yesterday.

He pointed out that most buildings in the earthquake-risk zone were not earthquake resistant. Experts from the Meteorological Department and Thailand Research Fund (TRF) yesterday visited Phan Pittayakom, Mae Lao Pittayakom, Bankao and Pongphare schools that suffered heavy damage from the 6.3 magnitude quake on May 5 last year. They were there to check out the preparations made for the next disaster.

The impact of last year's earthquake in Chiang Rai left many schools severely damaged, but recovery has been slow as earthquake-resistant buildings are still under construction.

Pennung said even though Thailand may not suffer as gigantic an earthquake as the one that hit Nepal, its fault lines do have the capacity to generate an earthquake up to 7.0 in magnitude and the law regulating the construction of earthquake-resistant buildings does not cover all types of structures.

"For instance, most of the buildings in Mae Lao district, which are small houses, are not covered by the law, which only covers structures taller than 15 metres and public buildings," he said.

A study by TRF and Mahidol University revealed that most of the damaged buildings in tambon Dong Mada in Chiang Rai's Mae Lao district were small private houses that did not meet engineering standards to endure quakes.

He also stated that the other hindrance was the lack of expertise in constructing quake-resistant buildings among Thai engineers.

"The skill of designing earthquake-resistant buildings is taught at the master's degree level or higher. I think engineering undergraduates should also study this subject, so we can have more engineers who can build earthquake-resistant buildings," he said.

An interview with locals also showed that there was a deficiency in earthquake preparation.

Phan Pittayakom School's director Sanong Sujarit said his school had coordinated with the Provincial Disaster Prevention Office to train students and members of staff on what to do in the event of an earthquake.

However, the earthquake drill is only held once a year and only a few students were trained due to space limitations.

Natwalan Chueyban, a student from Mae Lao Pittayakom School, meanwhile, said her school did not hold any earthquake drills.

Udom Bunpeng, who lives in Phan district, said residents had not been informed about what they should do during and after an earthquake.

Burin Wechbunthung, director of the Seismological Bureau, said that after last year's earthquake, the Meteorological Department was cooperating with the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, Royal Irrigation Department and Natural Resource Department to share seismological information, which would boost the ability to predict earthquakes.

"The ability to predict earthquakes accurately and quickly will boost the efficiency of rescue efforts. However, at present, there are no accurate prediction methods," Burin explained.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thailand-not-prepared-for-another-massive-earthqua-30259056.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-30

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i see the concrete coloms of the new highrise condominiums in BKK then i always wonder if they are not too thin. Even the skytrain has thicker legs than a 30 floor building.

I sure won't live in a highrise building in Thailand, earthquake's or fires are a big risk. Also without electricity people are trapped in them.

Born and raised in California and been through some of the biggest earthquakes over my 60 plus years , was driving down the freeway on the last big one there, missed the collapse by a few seconds of the freeway.Look if it is you time to go nothing is going to save you. But IMHO Thailand in particular Bangkok is way over due for some Rock n Roll.

When i see the concrete coloms of the new highrise condominiums in BKK then i always wonder if they are not too thin. Even the skytrain has thicker legs than a 30 floor building.

I sure won't live in a highrise building in Thailand, earthquake's or fires are a big risk. Also without electricity people are trapped in them.

They have built a lot of condos and apartment buildings in Chiang Mai up to ten stories tall or so, and I am also amazed how spindly they look when they are under construction. Lots of mass up above the ground floors that must really stress the concrete columns in an earthquake. Steel construction on high rises looks fairly forgiving though.

How many farangs have designed their own homes in the provinces to withstand even a 6 pointer?

It really depends on the 6 pointer. Remember Kobe Japan lost 4500 people in a 6.8 with everything built for quake resistance. But the 6.3 in Chiang Rai last year claimed only one life while the construction was for the most part is typical Thai handyman style.

A side to side quake with shallow depth (like Kobe) can cause surprising damage.

That being said, I assume most houses built for farangs here have no special and anti-quake consideration. but they may have more rebar and concrete thickness. How many of us know how to build for a quake anyhow.

How many farangs have designed their own homes in the provinces to withstand even a 6 pointer?

It really depends on the 6 pointer. Remember Kobe Japan lost 4500 people in a 6.8 with everything built for quake resistance. But the 6.3 in Chiang Rai last year claimed only one life while the construction was for the most part is typical Thai handyman style.

A side to side quake with shallow depth (like Kobe) can cause surprising damage.

That being said, I assume most houses built for farangs here have no special and anti-quake consideration. but they may have more rebar and concrete thickness. How many of us know how to build for a quake anyhow.

I am more worried about the homes of farangs built to Thai traditional construction methods. Columns are precast poles and with no ground beams and top beams to hold them together.

I was also born and lived most of my life in earthquake prone California.

I have experienced many quakes and seen the damage they can do.

Any place in the world can and does have major quakes.

For some places, it has been so long sinc a quake that there is no "recorded" history of them, but geological evidence proves they have happened.

They can and will happen again.

I worry a lot when I look at Thailand and try to imagine the effects of a MAJOR quake.

Unlike california where everything is built with quakes in mind, Thailand is not prepared at all.

Most construction in thailand is of cinder block with no reinforcement that will collapse and crush people in a quake

In California, most residences are built of wood that will bend, twist and give in a quake without collapsing on the occupants.

I fear that if and when a major quake hits Thailand the damage and death toll will be staggering.

Thailand needs to have and enforce some stringent building codes to protect it's people.

The Mai Pen Rai attitude will not save a single life.

My friend did he is a highly experienced builder in concrete buildings of many years in Australia but the funny part is he just drew a sketch of it for a permit and local authorities are not interested much in house plans.

Bangkok would not fare well in any earthquake close to magnitude 7.0 because it is essentially built on a drained swamp. One only need look at what the 6.9 magnitude Loma Prieta earthquake did to the Marina district of San Francisco to recognize that no structures could be built to withstand that kind of earthquake due to the ground layer of the city. Fortunately, Bangkok does not have the earthquake frequency of San Francisco.

I would like to know if the LPN condo's are built earthquake restient in Bangkok, we live on the 19th floor of one of there buildings in Nonthburi, I believe our building is 10 plus years old. I am from California, so am used to Earthquakes, but living in a high-rise building and not knowing if your building is safe or not is unconfotable feeling. I have been in some of the high-rise buildings in San Francisco durning a earthquake and you really have to hold on when they hit.

answer? NONE ! even if they did the workers would ignore them! if a major earth quake ever hits bangkok it will be the end of that city. the new capital will be Ubon!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why are people trapped without electricity?

I would like to know if the LPN condo's are built earthquake restient in Bangkok, we live on the 19th floor of one of there buildings in Nonthburi, I believe our building is 10 plus years old. I am from California, so am used to Earthquakes, but living in a high-rise building and not knowing if your building is safe or not is unconfotable feeling. I have been in some of the high-rise buildings in San Francisco durning a earthquake and you really have to hold on when they hit.

Little or no need to hold on in Thailand......concrete boxes are pretty predictable.

Design code for earthquake was only enforced around 2007. Your building probably does not comply.

Thailand not prepared for another massive earthquake, experts say...

Have I missed something?

Mae Lao earthquake M6.3 in 2014. Not my definition of massive though.

The earthquake was recorded as strong, shaking both northern Thailand and Myanmar in the evening. People in many northern provinces (including Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, and Lampang) sensed the quake.[6] Windows, walls, roads and temples all suffered from the quake. Originally no casualties were found,[7] but later there were news reports of one death and several people wounded.[5] It was the strongest earthquake ever recorded in Thailand according to National Disaster Warning Center Director Somsak Khaosuwan.[8]

Wiki

This webpage of resources at the GeoHaz.org website offers much expert information and detailed advice on how to strengthen the kind of "infill" construction typically used throughout Thailand and elsewhere, including for many modern high-rises (i.e., unreinforced exterior and interior walls of only simple bricks and mortar "infilling" the steel-reinforced [vertical] posts and [horizontal] beams):

http://geohaz.org/news/ghi_online.html

It includes a quite prescient 1998 prediction ("Kathmandu Scenario") of what would happen were a major earthquake to strike in Nepal (http://geohaz.org/downloads/publications/KathmanduEarthquakeScenario.pdf).

Edited by Bruce404

Thailand is generally not prepared for any emergency of any kind... just the news bulletin asking for international aid !!

Quote:

Phan Pittayakom School's director Sanong Sujarit said his school had coordinated with the Provincial Disaster Prevention Office to train students and members of staff on what to do in the event of an earthquake.

Put your head between your knees and "kiss your arse goodbye" !!!!

Just takes a little effort to research quake designs. Many solutions are inexpensive. For example:

http://housingrevolution.org/614/elizabeth-hausler-quake-safe-housing/

Usually it's more a matter of an owner wanting to make the effort than affordability. Like the use of fire detectors for the home.

Edited by Srikcir

Born and raised in California and been through some of the biggest earthquakes over my 60 plus years , was driving down the freeway on the last big one there, missed the collapse by a few seconds of the freeway.Look if it is you time to go nothing is going to save you. But IMHO Thailand in particular Bangkok is way over due for some Rock n Roll.

Now u tell me that we are "overdue". Last year I sold my house in LA exactly for this reason LOL. I think the government will be faster destroying our country then an earthquake

I have been in a lot of earthquakes, the biggest 7.6 in Taiwan’s 9/11 and I don’t remember feeling a 6.3 in BKK last year. The article is a little misleading. If such a quake hit BKK I am so sure the devastation would be unimaginable because of contractors cutting corners to skim some cash, fake permits and over all corruption in building BKK shopping malls and condos.

Just remember, after a big quake there is: No fresh water; limited or no food for purchase; no batteries; no candles; no electricity and no cash money available. Banks won't open until there is electricity and that takes about 6-7 days or longer depending on circumstances.

After 9/11 I always …

Keep 18-24 liters of drinking water on hand at all times.

Have a 2 liter block of ice in a milk container in my freezer to give longevity to stored food.

Keep about 3,000 baht cash in small denominations on hand at all times + USD if needed

Candles and batteries plus an external battery for my laptop and ipad.

Have a portable gas burner for cooking (the camping kind)

answer? NONE ! even if they did the workers would ignore them! if a major earth quake ever hits bangkok it will be the end of that city. the new capital will be Ubon!

Sounds like conjecture, fortune-telling and downright guessing.

I haven't talked to every Farang that has build a house in Thailand.

I haven't seen every plan for the construction of their houses.

I haven't supervised every team of workers doing the construction.

I can't look into the future of Bangkok.

I don't know if the capital will be relocated to Ubon..

I only know that some seem to have a better grasp on fantasy than I do.

Like California, New Zealand is well used to earthquakes, and relatively well prepared having had stringent building codes for many years. The September 2010 magnitude 7.1 quake that hit Christchurch was not predicted despite all the knowledge and technology present in NZ; but when you are only a stones throw from a tectonic plate subduction zone it's hardly a surprise. It's 6.3 magnitude aftershock in February 2011 caused substantially more damage because it was a different type of earthquake, and centered closer to the city. While a large number of homes were damaged beyond repair, relatively few collapsed outright because, again like California, they are mostly wooden bungalows. Christchurch, like Bangkok, was former swamp; and this led to extensive liquifaction and foundation failure.

The statement about inability to train schoolchildren because of lack of space is bizarre. Send a couple of officials to NZ and you'll find out in a day how to prepare kids for earthquakes. Most know what to do better than their parents!