30 day Tourist Stay - Airline Ticket is for 2 Mos.

thehelmsman

So, I'm flying USA to Bangkok on a Auto. 30 day Tourist stay with a return airline ticket for 2 mos. stay. Question is, has anyone had the Airlines leaving the US check for a visa.

I called China Airlines, they say they will check. I can get a return flight for 30 day stay and change return date there in Thailand. Has anyone had a similiar experience.

To qualify for 30 days on arrival you need a ticket out within the 30 day period. However the check-in people may not check. If you got as far as thai immigration at BKK i doubt they will be bothered at all. The big risk is the airline staff dont allow you on the flight because you dont meet the visa free entry requirements and you dont have a visa. If you dont want to gamble and be stress free go on the airasia website and look for a one way to Phnom Penh or Penang , KL? and buy an onward ticket within the 30 day period.

• Like 2

I believe the important thing is that you have a return/roundtrip ticket. I have routinely booked and traveled with my flights not synchronized with the 30 day visa exempt arrival and valid until dates. I have done that with EVA and China Air which I used to fly with. I usually don't know how long I will stay or when I will come back. Once or twice I bought the open ended return with EVA air, but that cost a bit more than just booking a return date and changing the return date later as needed. EVA in general doesn't charge for changing return flights. Sometimes I have extended my stay with a visa run, sometimes I didn't. I have done this since 2004 up through 2014.

Edited by gk10002000

Better safe than sorry. I've always had airlines check my visa before boarding when leaving the US if I had a return more than 30 days out. If your airline does say it's OK, print out the email just in case they give you a hard time at the airport.

You will definitely dependent on the "mercy" of the airline.

Its an excellent chance for them to kick you out for free in case of an overbooked flight e.g.

I learned my lesson when rejected by a German airline with a 32 day ticket.

I called China Airlines, they say they will check. I can get a return flight for 30 day stay and change return date there in Thailand.

If they allow rebooking for free or a low fee thats a correct solution.

You can then extend your stay for 30 days at Thai immigration (1900 Baht).

So you have your 2 months without previously getting a visa (which would be the 100% worry free solution).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thank You to all - All advice duly noted. Last few years I've had the Non- O Multiple entry for doing business in Thailand. This time I didn't want to mess with a visa. Having a ticket excess of 30 days out of country without visa and being turned away at ticket counter would be horrific. Ticket with little charge for changing return dates is a good alternative. I know China Air has a low fee, Right now Eva has good fares and will check their policy.