There are some great Thai people and great Thai business people

konying

It is Thai institutions that people may have a problem with, not the average Thai. Heard of and experienced many great acts of decency and kindness in Thailand. Our family has been in Thailand for 3 generations. Most taxi drives are fine people. Most of what we are working on now has originated from hard working, trusting Thais. Had the coup not happened, we would be setting up there. As it stands now, China is simpler and cheaper. It saddened us, as we were hoping to do more in Thailand. Seen great things from the humble, average Thai in Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Thailand is of course full or lovely, kind and wonderful people... This is normal for most of us here.

In fact, I find Thailand not much different from anywhere else, there is always someone ready to offer kind assistance where needed. Its great that for the most part people are inherently good.

Much like anywhere else Thailand also has its negative side; often discussed on this forum and much like anywhere else in the world.

The fact that specific attention has been drawn to these kind acts suggests they may not be the norm, thus creating an ironic and somewhat paradoxical thread... i.e. by outlining on this forum that there are great people here in Thailand also suggests some form of rarity in that its not a daily occurrence to meet great and lovely people (which of course is wrong).

Example: Great food - we are used it, but never feel the need to write about it unless its exceptional or terrible - Thus Great food is the norm in Thailand.

Anyway - Yes, I get the point of the Op: There are too many negative posts and he wishes to address the balance and offer positive examples.

Yep you nailed it.

Whenever someone has a bad experience or been scammed or mistreated , they always make a post, but hardly ever people make posts about positive experiences.

Also to the contrary believe of many that shops like to rip off foreigners, in this case shop offered free service , after seeing what I look like having pushed 300kg for about 45 mins. ;)

Another important factor is that this happened in Pattaya and as you know Pattaya bashing has no limits. So despite all the hookers, thieves and scammers there are decent people in Pattaya

Moral of the story:

I guess the moral of the story is, we more than often read on TV about bad things Thai people do and Thai bashing, but there are some great people, who do help others, including a sweaty, tired, foreigner without wanting money or anything else in return.

Thailand is full of wonderful people.

But.

You had around about 150 Kg of dog and did not get them to pull the bike blink.pngblink.png

Moral of the story:

I guess the moral of the story is, we more than often read on TV about bad things Thai people do and Thai bashing, but there are some great people, who do help others, including a sweaty, tired, foreigner without wanting money or anything else in return.

But.

You had around about 150 Kg of dog and did not get them to pull the bike blink.pngblink.png

You do understand dogs are not horses or Bulls ?

Moral of the story:

But.

Of course I don't.

post-211553-0-26563400-1430570049_thumb.

But I do understand that if I had 150KG of dog. I would not be pushing a bike with said dogs in the sidecar. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Off topic / trollish posts removed.

FYI :

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Moral of the story:

But.

Of course I don't.

attachicon.gifCamCart.jpg

But I do understand that if I had 150KG of dog. I would not be pushing a bike with said dogs in the sidecar. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

So glad you are on the ballfacepalm.gif

So while in the park, in the middle of nowhere, i could construct one of this,With my lighter and teeth cut down a few trees, possibly make a rope and a harness, actually 6 harnesses, then make a hook out of ...... then saddle all in, train them up to pull in one direction at the same time.

Gee... i only wish i had your innovative brain or your number so you could suggest this to mefacepalm.gif

I had a situation where i ran out of gas about 1.3km or so from the gas station. I walked it with motorbike and at least 3 thais stopped and offered a ride to the petrol station. I declined, but it was nice to know that if i needed a ride, it would have been available.

Edited by 4evermaat

I pulled into a gas station and there were about 10 cyclists, one had no air in his wheel and stupidly none of them had a pump, I connected my 12v car pump and pumped him up, off they went happy as Larry..................it works BOTH ways you know.

I have many more bad stories than good though.

There are very many good Thais just as there are very many good people all over the world.

From what I have seen the nicest and friendliest Thais are those who live in rural areas rather than those in the cities, and the least friendly and helpful seem to be those who live in tourist areas.

Just my observations over some 20 years including 4 years in BKK and 11 years in rural Thailand.

Yep.

I'll take the upcountry people over the city folks or the predators that gravitate to the tourists areas.

2 times i have had a motorbike problem and they came to my rescue.

I'll go one here, as I thought the assistance was pretty amazing. I ride a Benelli and the local dealer sponsored a ride to Cha Am. More of an endurance ride since we went straight through, about 12 hours, and about 10 bikes. Later I discovered my rear suspension was way out of adjustment (due to me, not the service center), and after banging through the rough roads, evidently either a bolt came loose or broke off, but it happened to be under the seat and kind of braces the front and rear of the bike. Normally an easy fix, just go to the dealer, but we're still a few hours away. I really didn't notice anything at first, but the stress created by that brace part missing led to the front bolts holding the gas tank to shear, both side panels on the tank to break away from where they connect to the radiator, and the decorative and protective cover over the key hole to become lost. Pretty soon the tank, although still secured in the back, was pretty loose and vibrating quite a bit, but it made it to Cha Am. The next morning, the local Benelli crew shows up, discovers all the problems, and come back with full replacement parts and a tool box. Right outside my room at the hotel they had everything repaired in about 45 minutes, including new body panels. All at no charge. There just isn't much chance in the US that would happen from a dealer. (and don't bash Benelli bikes, please, my bike, my choice, I'm happy)

To top it off, as we were flying back and Benelli would deliver our bikes for us, I made an earlier plane reservation than most others. Ended up being a race to get to the airport, and 5 riders were helping me through traffic and trying to figure out where to go. Finally we stopped at a new Benelli dealer that hasn't quite opened yet, and then I rode pillion with one guy who did his utmost to get me to the airport. I kept saying I could take a taxi, and the response was a taxi would never make it in time. I did end up missing my flight, though not by much, but the help and consideration everyone gave me more than made up for it. Out of a total of about 25 Benelli people, I was the only farang, and felt I was taken care of quite well.

And as a side note, a straight through run to Cha Am in the heat does lose a little of the adventure spirit, but I was glad to see I could keep up with the youngsters, lol.

Nice to see a few positive stories here on TV. I kind of imagine a lot of us get tired of the bashing. Never can figure out why some people like to live negative lives, but it is what it is. :)

I'll go one here, as I thought the assistance was pretty amazing. I ride a Benelli and the local dealer sponsored a ride to Cha Am. More of an endurance ride since we went straight through, about 12 hours, and about 10 bikes. Later I discovered my rear suspension was way out of adjustment (due to me, not the service center), and after banging through the rough roads, evidently either a bolt came loose or broke off, but it happened to be under the seat and kind of braces the front and rear of the bike. Normally an easy fix, just go to the dealer, but we're still a few hours away. I really didn't notice anything at first, but the stress created by that brace part missing led to the front bolts holding the gas tank to shear, both side panels on the tank to break away from where they connect to the radiator, and the decorative and protective cover over the key hole to become lost. Pretty soon the tank, although still secured in the back, was pretty loose and vibrating quite a bit, but it made it to Cha Am. The next morning, the local Benelli crew shows up, discovers all the problems, and come back with full replacement parts and a tool box. Right outside my room at the hotel they had everything repaired in about 45 minutes, including new body panels. All at no charge. There just isn't much chance in the US that would happen from a dealer. (and don't bash Benelli bikes, please, my bike, my choice, I'm happy)

To top it off, as we were flying back and Benelli would deliver our bikes for us, I made an earlier plane reservation than most others. Ended up being a race to get to the airport, and 5 riders were helping me through traffic and trying to figure out where to go. Finally we stopped at a new Benelli dealer that hasn't quite opened yet, and then I rode pillion with one guy who did his utmost to get me to the airport. I kept saying I could take a taxi, and the response was a taxi would never make it in time. I did end up missing my flight, though not by much, but the help and consideration everyone gave me more than made up for it. Out of a total of about 25 Benelli people, I was the only farang, and felt I was taken care of quite well.

And as a side note, a straight through run to Cha Am in the heat does lose a little of the adventure spirit, but I was glad to see I could keep up with the youngsters, lol.

Nice to see a few positive stories here on TV. I kind of imagine a lot of us get tired of the bashing. Never can figure out why some people like to live negative lives, but it is what it is. :)

You did miss the plane, but wow, what a great story!

An adventure unfolding like a movie and you were the Star!

Priceless!

Thanks for sharing. X

I'll share my feel good story...

went to the country side and made a wrong turn into a small one way dirt street, tried to U-turn but had to turn into a what did not look like a muddy road that lead into the field. Needless to say once I turn on to the muddy road, my car started to slide down as it was slightly sloped and the road was slippery. I had to hop out and get help from the folks who lived 50 meters away, they brought in their whole family 6-7 people to push my car out. They did not have a car so it couldn't be towed out, since it was on a slope it was extremely difficult to push up. My car had absolutely no traction on the muddy road and it would just spin its tires. It took 3-4 hours to get my car out of the muddy path. The friendly folks even insisted I stayed on the car so I won't get dirty while they do the pushing. At the end of the day their whole body was covered in mud. I offered them some cash and they refuse to take it, but I insisted and put it in their hands.

Had similar stories of cars running out of gas and what not with people stopping on the road to help.

Great to hear a good story but I'm not suprised.

I've been accused by one poster of 'having the bug' but I do like living here and the people, the Thais, are a huge part of that liking. I have lived in other countries and would say there's good and bad everywhere but here I think the lack of both a 'nanny' state and a prescriptive dominant religion as well as permanent hot weather, the laws relating to foreigners as in the Thais knowing that we are contributing to their country and therefore like being here, ally to their helping us out as they would a Thai when they can see we're in difficulty.

I've been helped out many times by Thai people since living here but one time comes to mind when on the way back from a shopping expedition on motorbike we got a puncture and naturally started walking home taking it in turns to push the bike. It was dark and we had about ten km's to walk, after about one and a half kilometres we reached a small parade of shops outside one of which were sat several Thai men.

They beckoned us to join them and after telling them how far we had to go, one of them just took the bike and wheeled it away. I was a bit worried but my girlfriend said he was taking it to someone he knew would fix the puncture as all shops were closed at that time.

We sat there talking with the other men who were drinking Leo and turned out to be police (one owned the shop selling ex-army gear) until the man with the bike returned about an hour and a half later.

He only wanted the hundred Baht he'd paid to have a new tube fitted; just wouldn't take any more!

Edited by piersbeckett

guess it is Buddhism that backs it all.

and Yes, sometimes they really surprise me.

Absolutly nothing to do with Buddhisim..

many chinese are buddhists.. and they would leave you to die on the side of the road..

malaysians are moslims... and in a small village most people would come and help you.. same with iran...

Guatemala is chrisitnas and theyd leave you to rot.

Jamaicans are just as "chrisitian" as Guatemalans and theyed mostly help you if they saw you struggle...

its just a cultural thing.. some societies there is a feeling to help strangers and other countries not at all..

africa is a good example there is some african countries where the people would come out and help you mostly,

others where they would mostly rob you and others where they would mostly stand and gawk...

i think its more an indicator of the health of the social interaction of the society..

india is like that too some parts they would come and help immediatly and other parts they would give a shit...

about thai people and helping..

thais are quite individualistic in their.... emotions.. i guess you could say .. so sometimes they came be very helpful for no noticeable gain... and then not long after or on another occasion be totally selfish....

generally if you ask for help in a situation in thailand or look like you need help somebody will always come forward...

i should correct that "poor" or uneducated people will almost never step forward or help with anything...... thailand has a class system... but the "middle class" people many times will...

ive had people help me on many occasions ..

i think many of you guys are mixing only with issan prostitutes???

for example most of the women ive been with here have never asked me for any money and have payed their own way in most situations..

there is nice people and decent people in thailand too, just fewer of them..

but they can be as helpful as anyone.. the thing that pisses me off about thais is that.... maybe somebody

looks helpful but they are only pretending to appear "helpful" or that somebody you know is very helpful and then oneday they are totally selfish.... thai character some what childish..

Moral of the story:

But.

Eskimoes have been using huskies ( dogs ) to pull them around for centuries.

In case you forgot, Amundsen used them to go to the South Pole. They still use them in the north and there is a famous race called the The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

But.

Of course I don't.

attachicon.gifCamCart.jpg

So glad you are on the ballfacepalm.gif

So while in the park, in the middle of nowhere, i could construct one of this,With my lighter and teeth cut down a few trees, possibly make a rope and a harness, actually 6 harnesses, then make a hook out of ...... then saddle all in, train them up to pull in one direction at the same time.

Gee... i only wish i had your innovative brain or your number so you could suggest this to mefacepalm.gif

I don't get why you didn't at least take them out of the sidecar, but chose to push them.

If I were in that position I'd use the rope that all people should carry in case of emergencies to make a rudimentary harness for a couple of the largest dogs and hook them up to the bike. A stick would make them go in the right direction, even if not trained.

BTW I have driven a dog sled so I know something about it.

quote removed to allow posting.

Moral of the story:

But.

Eskimoes have been using huskies ( dogs ) to pull them around for centuries.

In case you forgot, Amundsen used them to go to the South Pole. They still use them in the north and there is a famous race called the The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

In case you did not realzie my dogs are not huskies or malamutes, there is no snow in Thailand and my dogs are house pets, not working slay dogsthumbsup.gif

I don't get why you didn't at least take them out of the sidecar, but chose to push them.

If I were in that position I'd use the rope that all people should carry in case of emergencies to make a rudimentary harness for a couple of the largest dogs and hook them up to the bike. A stick would make them go in the right direction, even if not trained.

BTW I have driven a dog sled so I know something about it.

quote removed to allow posting.

Take them out of the side car and do what? let them run loose fighting with soi dogs? or tie them up to sidecar and prey they do not get run over by passing car or a bike?

People should carry ropes? May be a gas mask as well, just in case?

Just when i thought it could not get anymore stupid, here you comeblink.pnggigglem.gif

Glad to hear you have driven dog sled, that just made you an expert on bike, side cars, ropes and everything else.

i also fly frequently, i guess i now qualify to be a pilot or at least tell pilot how to fly

Edited by konying