cost of living in chaing mai

slippery when wet

I'm looking at moving back ton Thailand after being in the uk for the last 5 years or so.

Could anyone tell me the approximate monthly cost of a 2 bed townhouse and I hear that the cost of food has increased so if anyone could advise on the monthly cost of eating mostly thai food at markets.

Thank you

Made to order Thai food dishes run 35-50 Baht per plate these days. Not difficult to find 35 down a soi somewhere, but many shops charge 45 or 50. Either way food will not be a major thing on your monthly budget.

For your townhouse it makes a difference if it's actually in town, and then where it's located. If off Nimmanhaemin Road then it will be really expensive, if just out of town in a commercial development then prices plummet to a couple thousands a month; don't think it'll be difficult to find 5000 in that case.

Anyway it's only been 5 years; no major differences in pricing. Not sure what your currency has done during that time, that could be the bigger difference.

You already have your answers in the 3 other threads you have asked similar questions.

Townhouses vary greatly but for a modest place near town around 10-15k baht a month. Winnie is right about finding them cheap in some areas. I have seen a few for as low as 5k a month for 2 bedrooms.

"Anyway it's only been 5 years; no major differences in pricing. Not sure what your currency has done during that time, that could be the bigger difference."

Really, perhaps you don't keep accurate records, but in fact the cost of living in Thailand has gone up at least 20-30% in the last 5 years. Most food shops 5 years ago were 30-35 baht for a plate now 40-50 is the standard. Produce is at least 30% higher now.

Did you forget the minimum wage increase? You think that didn't effect inflation?

Property values have skyrocketed. Rents have stayed relatively similar.

Why not buy your own veg,meat and rice,and make your own meals,

might save a bit of money that way,and at least you will know what

you are eating.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

We live quite comfortably on $1,500 US per month for 'normal daily expenses.' Two-bedroom condo apartment in a security building (24-hour video, swimming pool, mini-mart, restaurant, etc.,) eat in restaurants 8-10 times a week, cooking at home for the other meals, public transportation and gas for motorbike, weekend activities, etc., etc. We are not heavy drinkers (perhaps a bottle of rum or Bombay Sapphire every 3-4 months,) and don't go clubbing at night. But on this amount of money, we are able to live comfortably without feeling as if we are watching pennies. We spend what we want when we want, without needing to worry about it.

This does NOT include insurances, savings, or the odd expense that might crop up such as a 4-5 day trip every few months.

• Like 1

The OP is thinking of returning to Chiang Mai, but seems he cannot even spell it.

I would like to ask him, how does he intend to financially support himself in Thailand and obtain a visa for long term stay here? Because if it`s going to be a case of living on the breadline and only affording the very basics of food, than my advice is; reconsider returning to Thailand until his financial situation improves.

Trust me, it`s not so cheap here any-more..

• Like 1

The OP is thinking of returning to Chiang Mai, but seems he cannot even spell it.

I would like to ask him, how does he intend to financially support himself in Thailand and obtain a visa for long term stay here? Because if it`s going to be a case of living on the breadline and only affording the very basics of food, than my advice is; reconsider returning to Thailand until his financial situation improves.

Anytime a person say's "trust me" a fire wall should go up. A favourite tool of charlatans and con men

• Like 1

You can live better here on 10,000 usd per year than you would on 50,000 usd per year in the DC area, which is known for being expensive. Certain things like wine, cheese, and cotton are basically a rip-off so it's just best to do without things like that. There are nice new Townhouses for rent across the street from me......25K per month, and 28k for the end units. No kitchen or a/c......prime location near CMU. A very dangerous 20 minute motorbike ride will take you to some that are much less. Studios in town will cut your transport costs a lot, but don't offer the space. IMO, it is a better option for those, who like what the city offers. Most of the cheap transport options are not available at night.

• Like 1

You can live better here on 10,000 usd per year than you would on 50,000 usd per year in the DC area, which is known for being expensive. Certain things like wine, cheese, and cotton are basically a rip-off so it's just best to do without things like that. There are nice new Townhouses for rent across the street from me......25K per month, and 28k for the end units. No kitchen or a/c......prime location near CMU. A very dangerous 20 minute motorbike ride will take you to some that are much less. Studios in town will cut your transport costs a lot, but don't offer the space. IMO, it is a better option for those, who like what the city offers. Most of the cheap transport options are not available at night.

One can certainly live cheaper here in CM than in any of the bigger cities in the US (or Europe). On the other hand, you cite the price of the new townhouses at 25k baht a month which, if my calculator is working right (using 32 baht per dollar), that'd leave exactly $625.00 out of the proverbial $10,000.00 per year to pay for everything else...

I'm from a relatively dinky city in the Midwest US and, frankly, it costs me to live here about the same as it cost me back there. But, then again, I don't do without....pretty much buy what I want (and a bit grateful that I really don't want all that much).

• Like 2

Imported goods are very expensive here. Eating the same brands of foods that one may be used to in the US will cost 3-4 times that of the Thai equivalent. A simple item like vinegar, buying a Thai brand costs 17 baht, while the US brand may run 100 baht. If you plan to live on a western-style diet, plan on spending a LOT more money. However, if you eat primarily Thai foods, your eating budget will be much smaller. Eating in the better ethnic restaurants will be much more expensive than eating in Thai restaurants. This is not to suggest that you never eat Indian, Mexican, Italian, etc., foods, or never buy imported foods, only that this in one area where a significant portion of a budget can be affected one way or the other.

A serviced apartment is going to cost a good deal more than one that offers none.

Transportation costs... Take a selor across town twice a day for five years, and you've spent to cost of buying a car. Take it another three years and you've equaled the expense of good coverage insurance, gas, and maintenance. I don't own a car. If I need one (and I do about once every 4-5 months,) I rent it. As it happens, I rented a car for four days on Thursday. Today is Saturday and I'm so exhausted from trying to drive in the downtown area, I can't wait for my car need to be finished tomorrow! Stress factor is sky high driving a car in town! Give me my motorcycle any day! I'll continue to use a selor for the once or twice a week larger shopping runs. No car expenses.

It all boils down to how you chose to live.

The OP may or may not know how to spell Chiang Mai. But he does know how to be polite. There are lots of things I might like to ask people. But first I ask myself whether it's any of my business.

The OP wants to know the costs of renting an apartment and the price of certain foods for himself, which vary enormously.

To answer, first need to have an idea approximately how much income he is on and for how long.

One can certainly live cheaper here in CM than in any of the bigger cities in the US (or Europe). On the other hand, you cite the price of the new townhouses at 25k baht a month which, if my calculator is working right (using 32 baht per dollar), that'd leave exactly $625.00 out of the proverbial $10,000.00 per year to pay for everything else...

I'm from a relatively dinky city in the Midwest US and, frankly, it costs me to live here about the same as it cost me back there. But, then again, I don't do without....pretty much buy what I want (and a bit grateful that I really don't want all that much).

How astute of you to make those computations. I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt that he possessed the 80+ IQ necessary to conclude that while some housing is cheap; budget oriented persons will not be able to get both space and location.

Yes I agree. Our condo/unit is reasonably priced for a studio. The more space the more a/c you need. We can walk and push bike to 90% of the area's we want to go to. Tuk Tuks and red trucks a hassle they get more aggressive in their pricing every year we desperately need a good bus service similar to the one in Phitsanulok. If your coming now your in off season so there's bargains to be had. If your going to live here full time that increases your bargaining power. There are certain rules for retiree's re money but if you lived here before you should be familiar with that. Feel free to pm me.

why don't you guys realize that this poster is a troll. This is the third thread he has started with the same topic. He doesn't respond or reply at all.

I think it's pretty clear that zeichen is correct in his diagnosis. On another thread, the OP claimed his family spent 12,000 baht per month on food. That's equivalent to US$3 per day. In the USA, food stamp recipients are allotted $4 per day for food and we've seen how difficult it is for participants in the food stamp challenge to manage to do it (ignore the risible attempt of Gwyneth Paltrow to comply). Food prices are much higher in the UK than the USA so unless the OP and his family are living on rice & lentils or are largely breatharians, what he's posting is clearly fiction.

why don't you guys realize that this poster is a troll. This is the third thread he has started with the same topic. He doesn't respond or reply at all.

I don't understand why these people Troll

Most people here need information

Most times we get the truth

I go one once they told a big lie

I think it's pretty clear that zeichen is correct in his diagnosis. On another thread, the OP claimed his family spent 12,000 baht per month on food. That's equivalent to US$3 per day. In the USA, food stamp recipients are allotted $4 per day for food and we've seen how difficult it is for participants in the food stamp challenge to manage to do it (ignore the risible attempt of Gwyneth Paltrow to comply). Food prices are much higher in the UK than the USA so unless the OP and his family are living on rice & lentils or are largely breatharians, what he's posting is clearly fiction.

I think your math is a bit off. 12,000 baht is about $375.00 US. Divided over a month that's about $12.50 US per day.

The OP may or may not know how to spell Chiang Mai. But he does know how to be polite. There are lots of things I might like to ask people. But first I ask myself whether it's any of my business.

The OP wants to know the costs of renting an apartment and the price of certain foods for himself, which vary enormously.

To answer, first need to have an idea approximately how much income he is on and for how long.

Why? If his income is 50K or 100K or 25K will that change "the monthly cost of eating mostly thai food at markets" ? Those market vendors will adjust based on his monthly income?

You know, some days it would be best if you don't turn on your computer or take a break from getting on the internet.

• Like 1

He responded in his topic in the Food forum.

Seems more of a case of not having made up his mind in which part of Thailand to settle down and if you ask in different regions it's sometimes difficult to find your topic back.

I think your math is a bit off. 12,000 baht is about $375.00 US. Divided over a month that's about $12.50 US per day.

I should have noted that his family consists of 4 people.