Monk wins 5 million baht lottery prize

Thaivisa News

Suphan Buri: – A 28-year-old Buddhist monk has won two lottery tickets with a combined first prize of 5 million baht and pledged to spend the money for his temple renovation.

Phra Weera Thitaweero said two days before the lottery drawing, he had a dream about the spirit of a late revered monk Luang Pu Sook giving him a blessing.

Phra Weera has been ordained for three years at Wat Khlong Khom, Sam Chuk district.

He recounted that he had a temple duty to clean the statue of Luang Pu Suk. After the cleaning and presenting an offering, that night the spirit of Luang Pu came to him in a dream.

Luang Pu said to him that he should clean the replica of Lord Buddha’s foot print, located nearby the sala in which Luang Pu statue was installed.

The monk said according to Luang Pu’s spirit, he would be blessed with great fortune if he cleaned the foot print replica.

He woke up and went out to do the cleaning.

A day before the lottery drawing, a vendor suddenly asked him to buy the two lottery tickets still left unsold. Out of sympathy, he agreed to buy the tickets without paying attention.

Yesterday he took out the tickets for checking as he thought it would be amusing if he won any prize.

He said he was totally surprised to find out that his lottery tickets, number 543466, matched the first prize drawing.

At the advice of fellow monks, he had reported his winning to the Sam Chuk police station. The report is seen as a legal confirmation of his tickets possession before cashing the prize.

Critics have questioned whether it is appropriate for a monk to buy lottery after renouncing worldly possession.

"A day before the lottery drawing, a vendor suddenly asked him to buy the two lottery tickets still left unsold. Out of sympathy, he agreed"

Wow,,,,I wonder who the sickest man in the village is today....................coffee1.gif

A 28-year-old Buddhist monk has won two lottery tickets with a combined first prize of 5 million baht and pledged to spend the money for his temple renovation.

So, helping the poor people in his tambon wasn't at the front of his mind then, ever.

A monk playing the lottery with temple donations should be the headline, no?

I am not quite sure if you lack reading and comprehension skills but I could find nowhere in the OP that said he was using temple funds.

What it DID say is that he pledged to spend the lottery winnings to help renovate the temple.

Obviously that does not fit in with your Thai bashing so I must assume that you either read something which was not there or you are not telling the truth.

A monk playing the lottery with temple donations should be the headline, no?

I am not quite sure if you lack reading and comprehension skills but I could find nowhere in the OP that said he was using temple funds.

What it DID say is that he pledged to spend the lottery winnings to help renovate the temple.

Obviously that does not fit in with your Thai bashing so I must assume that you either read something which was not there or you are not telling the truth.

It's a twisted place when monks are gambling and some numbskull defends the practice.

This guy is a Buddhist monk or a freeloading bum dressed in orange?

We will see if he blows the money on the temple.

I've seen monks smoking cigarettes, I've seen a monk at 7/11 buying a hot pocket, I've seen three monks walking around at Lotus having an ice cream.

I've watched reports where monks sold donated food to restaurants so the donors could pay for their own warmed-up food!

But what the heck, everything is a racket these days. Government schools are run like sweat shops, and don't even get into politics.

A 28-year-old Buddhist monk has won two lottery tickets with a combined first prize of 5 million baht and pledged to spend the money for his temple renovation.

So, helping the poor people in his tambon wasn't at the front of his mind then, ever.

If he donated money to the poor, they would just turn around and donate it to the temple with the thought it would bring them good luck too

If he donated money to the poor, they would just turn around and donate it to the temple with the thought it would bring them good luck too

Either that or buy a bunch of booze.

I have no doubt he bought the tickets and they won.

But, the circumstances of the way it happened really test my belief in accuracy of the OP.

You get these sort of stories a lot in the UK/Europe and USA. No-one ever seems to buy a ticket and says to themselves "I hope I win".

My premium bond numbers were not selected again this month. Yet I was - and still am - dreaming regularly about what I will do with my winnings. Clearly I should try a new approach to dreaming.

Anyway, good luck to the monk. Wasn't there a similar story last year and the monk did a runner or something?.wai.gif

"A day before the lottery drawing, a vendor suddenly asked him to buy the two lottery tickets still left unsold. Out of sympathy, he agreed"

Wow,,,,I wonder who the sickest maWhat Britain may look like after May 7: Labour and Lib Dems facing wipeout in Scotland

n in the village is today....................coffee1.gif

The vendors can't claim a prize on tickets they buy and sell. They do get a percentage of big winning tickets or so I heard

Giving money to the poor is not the only, nor the best way to help them.

Giving money to the poor is not the only, nor the best way to help them.

There be two to generalize and think as such from upon that pedestal, since this all matter of fact given the reply. You've got it all well under control, right? At least you aren't going it alone.

Archived