Cycling Deaths

fdimike

I came off my bike yesterday after hitting a small bump in the road that I didn't notice, traveling at over 30kmh. Hit my head hard on the Tarmac and slide across the inside lane. I feel lucky that I wasn't knocked unconscious as all the car drivers did was swerve to avoid me, not even slow down.

I saw a video of this accident in Chiang Mai, and saw exactly the same thing, only swerving to avoid dead bodies and an upside down car.

What is wrong with people in Thailand? This is supposed to be a Buddhist country, I'd have expected more compassion and people stopping to help.

I'm so very sorry for the cyclists involved, nothing I can say or do will change anything. I just hope they died without knowing what happened and no pain, so at least they went out doing something they loved.

As for the student driver, I'd say she deserves everything she gets, except we all know that it'll probably just be a token fine and it'll be forgotten about by next week, when she should be banned from driving for life and a lengthy jail term for essentially murdering those cyclists.

Edited by moonoi
  • Like 1

I came off my bike yesterday after hitting a small bump in the road that I didn't notice, traveling at over 30kmh. Hit my head hard on the Tarmac and slide across the inside lane. I feel lucky that I wasn't knocked unconscious as all the car drivers did was swerve to avoid me, not even slow down.

I saw a video of this accident in Chiang Mai, and saw exactly the same thing, only swerving to avoid dead bodies and an upside down car.

What is wrong with people in Thailand? This is supposed to be a Buddhist country, I'd have expected more compassion and people stopping to help.

I'm so very sorry for the cyclists involved, nothing I can say or do will change anything. I just hope they died without knowing what happened and no pain, so at least they went out doing something they loved.

As for the student driver, I'd say she deserves everything she gets, except we all know that it'll probably just be a token fine and it'll be forgotten about by next week, when she should be banned from driving for life and a lengthy jail term for essentially murdering those cyclists.

First of all she wasn't murdering those cyclist. It was a tragic accident, not on purpose.

On one street I like to go there are metal (?) bumps on the side in the white line. Maybe to wake up driver who fall asleep, but horrible for the bike.

Buddhist??? Christians are also not allowed to kill, both monks bless the weapons of the military......

i got knocked off my bike by a moterbike about 3 months ago sustaining a broken wrist,it still hurts a bit and i dont have any strength in it yet so cant ride yet for maybe another month,the driver stopped and helped me up then got on his bike and rode away but a man who lived nearby came and took me to the hospital and then brought me and my bike back to pattaya.(i paid him for his trouble) so there are some good samaritans about.

• Like 1

First of all she wasn't murdering those cyclist. It was a tragic accident, not on purpose.

With all due respect, h90, I disagree with that. Tragic, yes. Accident, no. She was drunk. In my books, that is murder. Any time someone drives drunk, it is on purpose.

So half of all Thais are murder, 30 years ago almost everyone drove back home drunk after a dinner in a restaurant....all murder?

You can call it irresponsible, but not murder unless you can proof she intended to kill them. She also speed too much.

If she would have went home drunk and drove a speed that she can control (say 40 km/h) it would be complete safe.

With all due respect, h90, I disagree with that. Tragic, yes. Accident, no. She was drunk. In my books, that is murder. Any time someone drives drunk, it is on purpose.

So half of all Thais are murder, 30 years ago almost everyone drove back home drunk after a dinner in a restaurant....all murder?

You can call it irresponsible, but not murder unless you can proof she intended to kill them. She also speed too much.

If she would have went home drunk and drove a speed that she can control (say 40 km/h) it would be complete safe.

So you're saying half of all Thais ran over people while drunk and killed them? I think not. But, yes, if you run over someone while driving under the influence, you are a murderer and will be charged as such in several countries.

If you disagree, fine. The twain shall never meet...

Edited by malathione

Topic already running in News here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/822236-three-cyclists-killed-two-others-injured-when-hit-by-speeding-car/

Also link to Bangkok Post removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.