Family dies in drink-related road crash in North Pattaya

webfact

Sometimes i have a few drinks anddrive home ,in the UK i would get a ban ,here nothing ,i will say i never drive if 'drunk" but i do drive at a modest speed on the inside lane if i have drunk anything ,i cannot understand how you can drink heavilly and then race around like a lunatic ,which by the state of the car this guy was doing.

Oh dear. I give you full marks for honesty but zero marks for logic and a big fail for social responsibility.

Why do you think you might get banned in the uk got driving after a few drinks?

I hope you get caught, tested and banned (or deported) before you kill someone here.

Don't need another foreigner to add to an already big local problem.

" you're my best friend have a few more drinks before you go "

Something similar last week in my pub. The ladyboy that works there is a very good friend of mine and it must be added my wifes friend too. Some local lads kept plying her/him with beer. Betime I arrived this ladyboy came over and was pouring the coke into my rum down the outside of the glass, 1 in 3 ice cubes were landing on the table. He/she admitted being very mau. The friends kept calling her over as it was great fun seeing him getting even more mau. Now the LB only lives about 2k away but like most Thais comes to work on his scooter with no crash hat. I ended up taking the LB home in my car as by 11.30 could barely stand . The point being what sort of friends would get you so pi$$ed that the chances are you would not get home ? Just as well my wife was away , bringing home a drunk LB would not win me any Brownie points.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Positive news here is no innocent people were injured.

What about the young child ?

Yes, you are right.

I retract my dumb comment.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No one make you drink. You could stay on soft drinks

He's paid the price though hasn't he, by killing himself and his whole family

Positive news here is no innocent people were injured.

I think their 2 year old son would disagree with you.

Yes, you are right too.

I retract my dumb comment.

Change the law.

Drink driving - immediate incarceration!.

Broadcast it so everyone knows what to expect.

Drink..............walk, take a taxi or have someone drive who has not been drinking.

The time for committees etc to mull over road deaths has long gone. IMMEDIATE action is needed.

Change the law???? They have to learn to obey the current lays and the police have to learn to enforce them first....and it won't stop this type of idiocy for years!

You go too far with "idiocy". I just think responsibility is not in thai vocabulary.

Sometimes i have a few drinks anddrive home ,in the UK i would get a ban ,here nothing ,i will say i never drive if 'drunk" but i do drive at a modest speed on the inside lane if i have drunk anything ,i cannot understand how you can drink heavilly and then race around like a lunatic ,which by the state of the car this guy was doing.

Oh dear. I give you full marks for honesty but zero marks for logic and a big fail for social responsibility.

I hope you get caught, tested and banned (or deported) before you kill someone here.

Calm down...

He said he had a few drinks....

I had one beer last summer before my dinner, and afterwards I drove my son to a friend's house.

Forgot to turn on the lights, got stopped, and asked if I had been drinkng. I said yes, one beer before my meal one hour ago.

He said he would ask for a breathaliser, since I had a teen with me

The result was about .01, or just about no alcool in my blood.

I thought then he should not have used the breathaliser, as it indicated that even if I drive responsibly, I could haver had at least one more beer...

" you're my best friend have a few more drinks before you go "

Something similar last week in my pub. The ladyboy that works there is a very good friend of mine and it must be added my wifes friend too. Some local lads kept plying her/him with beer. Betime I arrived this ladyboy came over and was pouring the coke into my rum down the outside of the glass, 1 in 3 ice cubes were landing on the table. He/she admitted being very mau. The friends kept calling her over as it was great fun seeing him getting even more mau. Now the LB only lives about 2k away but like most Thais comes to work on his scooter with no crash hat. I ended up taking the LB home in my car as by 11.30 could barely stand . The point being what sort of friends would get you so pi$$ed that the chances are you would not get home ? Just as well my wife was away , bringing home a drunk LB would not win me any Brownie points.

So the local lads held him down and poured the alcohol down his throat? I thought not! As an adult, he is responsible for his own actions, and that includes deciding how much alcohol he consumes and also whether he is legally and physically fit to drive home after work. But I guess that is where the problem lies ... not very many people here are willing to take responsibility for their own actions, and would rather blame someone or something else!

Confiscate people's vehicles who get caught. Hit people where it hurts and give people something to think about. A little jail time too won't go amiss. Selfish moronic behavior, drink driving. So many avoidable senseless deaths because of it.

What to do if the vehicle ends up like this one---- you still want to confiscate it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Confiscate people's vehicles who get caught. Hit people where it hurts and give people something to think about. A little jail time too won't go amiss. Selfish moronic behavior, drink driving. So many avoidable senseless deaths because of it.

What to do if the vehicle ends up like this one---- you still want to confiscate it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Presumably he will not get an insurance payout because he was drunk is that correct? And the vehicle is beyond repair so in a case like this will he still be burdened with paying off the car loan (if there is one)?

That should be a lesson to him. Paying money on something he doesn't have.

Edited by Asiantravel

Presumably he will not get an insurance payout because he was drunk is that correct? And the vehicle is beyond repair so in a case like this will he still be burdened with paying off the car loan (if there is one)?

That should be a lesson to him. Paying money on something he doesn't have.

Please read the story again. The guy is dead. His family is dead. Sheesh.

Some friend !!!

Invite them to drink at your house all day then let them drive home....

I think you've missed something here, the owner of the house didn't point a gun at his friend and say drive home or I'll shoot you, the driver made the decision to drive the vehicle after drinking alcohol and in the process he's killed people

Calm down...

He said he had a few drinks....

I had one beer last summer before my dinner, and afterwards I drove my son to a friend's house.

Forgot to turn on the lights, got stopped, and asked if I had been drinkng. I said yes, one beer before my meal one hour ago.

He said he would ask for a breathaliser, since I had a teen with me

The result was about .01, or just about no alcool in my blood.

I thought then he should not have used the breathaliser, as it indicated that even if I drive responsibly, I could haver had at least one more beer...

I agree with doggie, your comment is ridiculous.

I hope this never happens but if your son was killed by someone who'd 'JUST HAD A FEW DRINKS' and your world had been shattered, would I be ok to say to you 'calm down the driver only had a few drinks'! PATHETIC!!

It's a fact that one drink impairs your reactions and everybody has a different tolerance level.

No one make you drink. You could stay on soft drinks

He's paid the price though hasn't he, by killing himself and his whole family

He did unfortunately. Too big a price to pay for a drink RIP all three

Thais never learn. Really tired and sick on commenting drink-drive issues!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_in_the_United_States

In the United States the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that 17,941 people died in 2006 in alcohol-related collisions, representing 40% of total traffic deaths in the US. NHTSA states 275,000 were injured in alcohol-related accidents in 2003.[1] The Bureau of Justice Statistics estimated that in 1996 local law enforcement agencies made 1,467,300 arrests nationwide for driving under the influence of alcohol, 1 out of every 10 arrests for all crimes in the U.S., compared to 1.9 million such arrests during the peak year in 1983, accounting for 1 out of every 80 licensed drivers in the U.S.[2][3]

Yeah, why can't those pesky Thai's be more like us moral and ethical perfectionists, I was out at the weekend with the lads (Farangs), 8 of us, only 2 of us took motorcycle taxis, the other 6 had their own bikes or cars, we were all well smashed by the end of the session, 2 of us went home on Motorcycle Taxis, the other 6 went home on or in their bikes or cars.

Whats wrong with these Thai's ?

Edited by Banzai99

No one is saying that the USA is a shining example. But your statistics aren't valid. The average rate of alcohol related deaths in Thailand is 26,000 per year. The population of Thailand is 1/5 that of the US. I think we all saw the latest ranking that Thailand has the second highest number of road deaths in the world, with 26% involving alcohol. The US came in at 97. The Thais extremely poor driving habits, coupled with lots of booze will soon win them the number 1 spot.

What's wrong with these Thais?...Plenty!

post-93392-0-74368600-1430997804_thumb.j

No one is saying that the USA is a shining example. But your statistics aren't valid. The average rate of alcohol related deaths in Thailand is 26,000 per year. The population of Thailand is 1/5 that of the US. I think we all saw the latest ranking that Thailand has the second highest number of road deaths in the world, with 26% involving alcohol. The US came in at 97. The Thais extremely poor driving habits, coupled with lots of booze will soon win them the number 1 spot.

What's wrong with these Thais?...Plenty!

And if the USA had the same percentage of motorcycles per capita as Thailand has, wonder what the death toll in the US would be then. I wonder how many of the 275,000 that were injured in Alcohol related accidents would have died had they been on motorcycles like millions of Thais are ?