What powers should the Tourist Police Volunteers be given?

beenitseenitdoneit

First of all to all the Tourist Police that are working in the immigration offices in Thailand, I would like to extend my heart felt thanks and gratitude, for all the tremendous help and advise they provide to the Farang community.

I think most readers would have no objections to Farangs assisting the Thai Police in their duties.
For instance weighing down motor bikes, so that the officer in charge can duly check that all is in order.
But for the Tourist Police in question to actually ask for, inspect documentation, and make any kind of legal judgement or recommendation to the officer in charge, I believe is taking all of this onto a different level.

At this point I am curious if they have any legal jurisdiction to carry out such acts.
Has anything to this effect been laid down in writing in their code of practice, charter, mandate call it what you like, either by the Tourist Police themselves, or those that commission them.

So if it is the case that they do in fact have this legal authority, then for all intensive purposes the regular Thai Police are somewhat academic.
The Tourist Police could be setting up these tolls, and for appearances sake if the authorities were still a bit uncomfortable, wanted to add an air of authenticity to all of this, then one of those cut out Police could be erected alongside.

The point I am trying to make in this post is, where do you draw the line, has it been crossed already in this example.
And if not just how far do you think this "assisting" should go.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourist police are not the same as Immigration foreign volunteers.

Which is the OP talking about?

I am glad you have highlighted this point, I had mistaken thought they were one.

The Phuket Immigration Volunteer Programme as it is seemingly known, are a first class bunch of guys.

However it is the Tourist Police Volunteers that I am referring to, when it comes to assisting the Thai Police.

i assume the OP is referring to the foreign Tourist Police volunteers.

Here's a question to the OP.

The Thai Tourist Police have both foreign and Thai volunteers in their volunteer teams, (actually many more Thai volunteers than non-Thai volunteers).

Would the OP object if a Thai TP volunteer flagged him down and inspected his driving documents? Or is it a problem for the OP because the volunteer is not Thai.

Edited by simon43

The Thai Tourist Police have both foreign and Thai volunteers in their volunteer teams, (actually many more Thai volunteers than non-Thai volunteers).

Would the OP object if a Thai TP volunteer flagged him down and inspected his driving documents? Or is it a problem for the OP because the volunteer is not Thai.

As I previously stated, I think most tourist and western residents would have no objections to a Farang flagging them down, and certainly no objections to a Thai Tourist Police volunteer either.

You can include me in both of the above.

Having got the race, colour and religion issue out of the way, again I would like to ask has anybody seen this authority in writing, whereby it states that volunteers are legally permitted to ask for these documents.

As I previously stated, I think most tourist and western residents would have no objections to a Farang flagging them down, and certainly no objections to a Thai Tourist Police volunteer either.

You can include me in both of the above.

Having got the race, colour and religion issue out of the way, again I would like to ask has anybody seen this authority in writing, whereby it states that volunteers are legally permitted to ask for these documents.

My guess is that they have the right to ask.

And you have the right to refuse and wait on a police officer and potentially expose yourself to a rectal drug search for wasting the police officer's time.

That's what I would do if I was the police officer.

The volunteers are there to help the police - just show your papers and be on your way if everything is in order and report any problem to a police officer. What is your problem exactly?

I think they should have the power to choke themselves into submission, upon the request of any tourist.

Seriously.

I am suspicious of the motives of cops in general, but especially volunteer cops. "Put a beggar on horseback", ya know...

The foreign police volunteers have the power to flag people down etc., see also a question in ask the lawyer.

who says they have the authority to "flag" down anyone? I certainly would not stop for any of the wannabies! if you are not Thai get your foreign ass out of my face! would go to court to test this and I doubt the "dear" leader would appreciate a foreigner interfering in his education of ignorant thai. i refer to the nightly nation wide broadcast on telling thai's how to think and behave.

I live in thailand to associate with the Thai's not some foreign wannabe..

The problem with the tourist police is that the tourists actually think the tourist police is on their side in disputes with Thais, which makes it very easy for Thais and the tourist police to join hands in various scams.

Simple example, which happens daily.

Jetski damage demand - 100k

Tourist police arrive and "negotiate" it down to 60k.

Tourists think they "saved" 40k, and thank the tourist police for their help.

After the tourists leave, the tourist police get their cut of the 60k.

To answer the OPs question, tourist police should have no powers whatsoever, and they should be called something else to avoid confusion.

Edited by monkeycountry

The problem with the tourist police is that the tourists actually think the tourist police is on their side in disputes with Thais, which makes it very easy for Thais and the tourist police to join hands in various scams.

Simple example, which happens daily.

Jetski damage demand - 100k

Tourist police arrive and "negotiate" it down to 60k.

Tourists think they "saved" 40k, and thank the tourist police for their help.

After the tourists leave, the tourist police get their cut of the 60k.

To answer the OPs question, tourist police should have no powers whatsoever, and they should be called something else to avoid confusion.

From the example that you have quoted here, perhaps the Extortion Police.

Why are the Tourist Police flagging down motorcycles? What has that got to do with tourism? Do they only flag down tourists? Also what is the "weighing down the motorcycle" about?

Weighing down traffic and motor bikes by hand, is an English expression.

I suppose because no flags are used.

Why are the Tourist Police flagging down motorcycles? What has that got to do with tourism? Do they only flag down tourists? Also what is the "weighing down the motorcycle" about?

Weighing down traffic and motor bikes by hand, is an English expression.

I suppose because no flags are used.

Waving down is the English term I believe. Thought he was possibly on about some type of suspension test.

I get sick hearing all the complaints about the Tourist Police from posters who have NO idea what they do, and what authority they have.

ALL Tourist Police volunteers act under orders / instructions from the Duty Officer of the unit. The authority comes from the INSTRUCTIONS the THAI DUTY OFFICER gives them. Foreign police volunteers are under the same instructions, BUT mainly deal with foreign tourists, while Thai volunteers deal with the Thai people.

"""I certainly would not stop for any of the wannabies!"" Many of the FOREIGN """wannabies""" have many years as police officers / detectives / inspectors or in the private sector in their original countries. I know of one ''''FOREIGN wannabie""" that was on the British Crown's protection detail.

ALL volunteers may stop you, ask for ID, and in the worst case "take you in custody" IF you are violating Thai law.

Ask the Japanese tourist who lost their child how grateful they are to the ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' who found the child 4 blocks away from where the child should have been. Ask the tourist about the ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' who got their gold chain back after it was ripped off their neck. Ask the tourist who was urinated on by a dancer and his statement was translated to the Thai authoritied by a ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' how he now feels now about the "justice" he received.

You are in a foreign country, the police question you, you DO NOT KNOW THE LANGUAGE the police are speaking, a ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' assists you in communication - I think you are in a MUCH better position with the help of the ''''FOREIGN wannabie'''

Oh, I forgot to mention, the ''''FOREIGN wannabies''' carry a list of phone ( on their phone ) numbers of the ''''FOREIGN wannabies''' that speak YOUR language, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, and etc

Edited by edwardflory

I only know of one tourist policeman and it is a huge ego thing, feels important , can't speak one word of Thai, drinks in English type pubs, all his friends are ferlung , his favourite eating place is KFC. Should of stayed in England. Nice chap though.

Wasn't there a long thread recently about some guy in Pattaya Thai who seemed to be exceeding his authority?. That sort of thing gives them all a bad name, which is unfortunate. The only contact I've had is when there was a major check up of m/bikes on Sukhumvit. I pulled over and was dealt with by a very friendly Swedish guy who had me on my way in two minutes.

I get sick hearing all the complaints about the Tourist Police from posters who have NO idea what they do, and what authority they have.

ALL Tourist Police volunteers act under orders / instructions from the Duty Officer of the unit. The authority comes from the INSTRUCTIONS the THAI DUTY OFFICER gives them. Foreign police volunteers are under the same instructions, BUT mainly deal with foreign tourists, while Thai volunteers deal with the Thai people.

"""I certainly would not stop for any of the wannabies!"" Many of the FOREIGN """wannabies""" have many years as police officers / detectives / inspectors or in the private sector in their original countries. I know of one ''''FOREIGN wannabie""" that was on the British Crown's protection detail.

ALL volunteers may stop you, ask for ID, and in the worst case "take you in custody" IF you are violating Thai law.

Ask the Japanese tourist who lost their child how grateful they are to the ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' who found the child 4 blocks away from where the child should have been. Ask the tourist about the ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' who got their gold chain back after it was ripped off their neck. Ask the tourist who was urinated on by a dancer and his statement was translated to the Thai authoritied by a ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' how he now feels now about the "justice" he received.

You are in a foreign country, the police question you, you DO NOT KNOW THE LANGUAGE the police are speaking, a ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' assists you in communication - I think you are in a MUCH better position with the help of the ''''FOREIGN wannabie'''

Oh, I forgot to mention, the ''''FOREIGN wannabies''' carry a list of phone ( on their phone ) numbers of the ''''FOREIGN wannabies''' that speak YOUR language, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, and etc

"take you in custody" should be " take you to a higher authority in the chain" IF you are violating Thai law.

"take you in custody" should be " take you to a higher authority in the chain" IF you are violating Thai law.

Hmmm, and how do they know you are violating Thai law. Do they do a course on Thai law and sit an exam afterwards?

Edited by senor123