Peace TV in plea for UN help

webfact

Peace TV in plea for UN help
THE NATION

30259329-01_big.jpg
News anchors from Peace TV release doves outside the Escap office in Bangkok yesterday, where they submitted an open letter calling on the United Nations to pressure the government over its recent order revoking |the station

BANGKOK: -- PHEU THAI Party's Weng Tojirakarn yesterday called on the United Nations to help save the politically-oriented Peace TV station.

"We call on the UN secretary-general to urge the Thai government to strictly abide by the treaty in order to ensure justice for Peace TV," said the open letter submitted by Weng, also a red-shirt leader, and five news anchorsto a representative from the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (Escap) at its office in Bangkok.

In the letter, they want forwarded to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, they urged the UN to ensure that the government follows an international treaty guaranteeing the rights and freedom of media.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission recently cancelled Peace TV's broadcasting licence for repeatedly airing content it deemed divisive.

Arunothai Siributr, one of the anchors, read out the open letter.

The letter said the forced closure of Peace TV was an affront to Thai law and the UN's universal declaration on human rights. It demanded an end to the "restriction" of the media's rights and liberties.

The Democrat Party's Watchara Phetthong lashed out against the move by Peace TV to seek UN intervention.

The former Democrat MP said he would ask the UN in writing to carefully ferret out the facts behind this letter and not believe all that was said.

Peace TV was acting as the "mouthpiece of the Thaksin regime", he claimed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Peace-TV-in-plea-for-UN-help-30259329.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-05

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On press freedom day, the Thai station had to appeal to the UN to have its freedom to broadcast reinstated. The Thai government wants the Un to carefully "ferret" out the false claims made in the station's open letter

Amazing , send the army in to close down a TV station for promoting the Shins , but cant find an illegal holding camp for refugee hostages in a place where they are supposed to have been fighting a war for 10 years. At least they have clarified their priorities

Hehe they really are idiots sending a letter to the UN. The UN has absolutely no control over this matter. Desperation is setting in for the PTP red shirts in spreading their propoganda

The ICJ will be next claiming they are being deprived of their right to make a dishonest buck baht. The problem is that professional liars have difficulty getting people to believe them.

Also google Yingluk+perjury+credibility

Edited by halloween

I had a laugh when I read this for 2 reasons:

1/ The UN is about as useful to the world as a blister on your big toe.

and

2/ Do the red shirts think the UN cares about a TV station that isn't their TV station.....No!

Two things come to mind: (1) I am not sure the UN can even pour urine out of a boot even with a check list. (2) The Red Shirt guy with the machete needs to understand a 9mm projectile travels further and faster !!

Amazing , send the army in to close down a TV station for promoting the Shins , but cant find an illegal holding camp for refugee hostages in a place where they are supposed to have been fighting a war for 10 years. At least they have clarified their priorities

Yes that is well understood by many who read between the lines..so to speak.

The priorities of the present government are self serving while repositioning themselves in a manner that controls or eliminates what ever is seen as opposition to their agenda.

The events in the south are just a nuisance and a temporary distraction for the present government and their agenda.

Cheers

Whatever their views (I don't particularly have a side, and certainly no influence anyhow), if this is truly a "Democracy" (see the Etymology on that word), then all sides should be free to express their views (hopefully peacefully). Having a 'License' to speak freely revoked whilst using the word Democracy is more like Hypocrisy.

I don't know of any country that is truly Democratic, and I don't think the UN has any standing or interest in this particular event, but it's worth a shout out in case anyone is listening.

On press freedom day, the Thai station had to appeal to the UN to have its freedom to broadcast reinstated. The Thai government wants the Un to carefully "ferret" out the false claims made in the station's open letter

I very much doubt that the "dear" leader will let that ineffective organization even enter "his" country!

Correct, the army could not find the camps for the last 10 years. And who was in charge for the last 10 years?

Correct, the army could not find the camps for the last 10 years. And who was in charge for the last 10 years?

In charge of the army, the generals. Don't believe that politicians were in charge of the military. The generals always have. You don't get politicians causing coups. The generals do that and have done a few times in the last ten years, to be factual. So there is your answer.

The red shirts are the same as the SA (sturmabteilung), Hitler's private militia. The red shirt also use reverse psychology calling their TV station "Peace TV". The "Rajprasong Siege", or should we call it the "Thaksin Failed Putsch" was nothing but peaceful.

In charge of the army, the generals. Don't believe that politicians were in charge of the military. The generals always have. You don't get politicians causing coups. The generals do that and have done a few times in the last ten years, to be factual. So there is your answer.

Correct, the generals, who answer to their masters, the politicians, except for the last one...

The Army has been in charge of the Army for rather more than the last ten years! It is not controlled by the government, does not answer to the government and is certainly not loyal to the government. Apart of course from those significant and not infrequent periods during which it either appoints, arranges or is the government.

Edited by JAG

Hehe they really are idiots sending a letter to the UN. The UN has absolutely no control over this matter. Desperation is setting in for the PTP red shirts in spreading their propoganda

I'm sure that Ban will drop all other cases and concentrate on this urgent matter!!!

What a jot of bilious and disingenuous, post-Mao, politickal theater

with these lovely young white dressed girls and their peace doves being released,

in support of unreconstructed communists from the 70's backing a propaganda organ

run for the benefit of an amoral uber-capitalist and his cronies trying to take over the country.

Irony runs thick as thieves and molasses in January.

Edited by animatic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A mixture of Thaksins lot and a couple of Juntas. Not exclusively the PMs or Current Juntas fault. But as mentioned what are the people in uniform in that area doing , they cant be doing many Patrols to disrupt the insurgents. Just waiting for a bomb or an ambush and then attempt to capture or kill the protagonists

Whatever their views (I don't particularly have a side, and certainly no influence anyhow), if this is truly a "Democracy" (see the Etymology on that word), then all sides should be free to express their views (hopefully peacefully). Having a 'License' to speak freely revoked whilst using the word Democracy is more like Hypocrisy.

I don't know of any country that is truly Democratic, and I don't think the UN has any standing or interest in this particular event, but it's worth a shout out in case anyone is listening.

do you think the UK broadcasting commission would allow a muslim extremist group to have their own TV channel in the UK ?

all too often the buzz words are used by various factions - reconciliation - democracy - peace TV - democratic - etc etc when the reality is so far removed, if you don't see it then I can't explain it because it is blindingly obvious, look at where Thaksins reconciliation almost got the country last year - civil war

If someone walked up to you with a gun and said - I represent peace - goodwill - honesty - integrity - truth, now give me all your money and valuables, would that mean he is not a robber.

Lest we forget, not long ago the people behind "Peace TV" were organizing "War Drum" events (were their underlings cheered at the murder of political enemies... well, actually it was innocent children but I digress).

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think this would have been a more transparent PR photograph:

red-shirt-violence-thailand_zpsaayhmfev.

Pocket knife

BIG pockets!!

Those Baggy Jeans with the Arse round the back of his knees I'd assume