Motorist kills, injures cyclists in another such tragedy

Thaivisa News

motorist-kills-cyclist-in-Bangkok.png

Bangkok:- Less than two days after a tragic accident in Chiang Mai, another car ploughed into three cyclists on a Bangkok road Monday night, fatally injuring one and badly injuring two others.

The unknown motorist fled the scene after the accident shortly before 8:30 pm on the Ram-Indra Road, police said.

Pol Lt Col Kobchok Boonchan, an interrogator of Khokkram police station, was alerted of the accident at 8:30 pm.

He rushed to the scene in front of the Bangkok Boulevard housing estate in Bangkok’s Khannayao district with rescuers from the Ruam Katanyoo Foundation.

When they arrived at the scene, three injured cyclists had been rushed to the Phayathai Navamin Hosptial. Two were identified as Thanyakorn Densirimongkol, 31, and Nikhom Chenpimaik, 36. The other was unidentified.

Thanyakorn later died at the hospital.

Police found badly-damaged bicycles on the road and sidewalk. About 50 meters away, a black Honda Jazz car with Bangkok license plate was left on the road island. Its front bumper and left side had traces of crash. It was towed to the Khokkram police station.

Witnesses told police that the three cyclists were riding on the left lane of the outbound Ram-Indra Road and the car was seen swaying and speeding before it ploughed into the three bikes.

The car then hit the road guard rail and turned and stopped on the road island. A young man was seen exiting the car to take a look at the injured and disappeared without helping them.

Police will summon the car owner to be questioned.

On Sunday, a drunk university student crashed into a group of five cyclists on a Chiang Mai road, killing three and injuring two others.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand should create a legal presumption of intoxication for anyone who runs. It should be presumed he ran to hide intoxication. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and this agreed presumption should be a condition of driving whether licensed or not.

There should also be heavy penalties for leaving the scene which would compound the penalties.

It should now be presumed that this driver ran because he was intoxicated, and intoxication should bring a presumption of being at fault. Failing to stop and render aid should also be a crime for the driver.

Drivers seem to believe that running is the answer to avoiding trouble when to the contrary it should compound the troubles.

Police will summon the driver ?

What's wrong the going out and getting him or her ?

Do they know who the driver is or isn't a case of asking the registered owner who was driving first ?

Not helping injured people - 10 years jail minimum. Doesn't matter intoxicated or not. Leaving badly wounded people suffering on the scene only thinking about yourself is LOWER than low. Piece of filth.

RIP to the victim who died.

Police will summon the driver ?

What's wrong the going out and getting him or her ?

Do they know who the driver is or isn't a case of asking the registered owner who was driving first ?

Any reasonable person would support the police arriving in haste at the registered address and dragging the owner by the scruff of the neck to the nearest station . But no...

Same old, same old.

For starters the police should permantly confiscate the car..they should have powers to do this even if the vehicle is on finance.

Then find the driver..yes you lot, don't sit in your a/c office waiting for him to come to you wai-ing & displaying the usual act of repentance that seems to be the norm here.

Slam him in gaol..leave him there to stew..remind him he's killed someone & that his 'rights' as a citizen are now almost nil.

(His family now have to meet the payments still owing on the car..or send in some 'recovery' agents).

How long will it be before any folk who commit crimes get actually punished here..??

Thailand should create a legal presumption of intoxication for anyone who runs. It should be presumed he ran to hide intoxication. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and this agreed presumption should be a condition of driving whether licensed or not.

There should also be heavy penalties for leaving the scene which would compound the penalties.

It should now be presumed that this driver ran because he was intoxicated, and intoxication should bring a presumption of being at fault. Failing to stop and render aid should also be a crime for the driver.

Drivers seem to believe that running is the answer to avoiding trouble when to the contrary it should compound the troubles.

One year, no suspension, no reduction, in prison and, for sure they won't drive drunk again for at least a year. Some will get the message; most won't. The only way to get Thai's attention is to be draconian in the punishment. Already judges, with a little incentive of a 'pastry box' are far too lenient with drunk driving, underage driving, vehicular homicide and related crimes and the citizens have come to expect little or no punishment. That mentality needs to be changed before any real changes will take place. No more 'looking on the floor for a dropped cell-phone' while you run over and kill someone. It HAS to STOP!

Not helping injured people - 10 years jail minimum. Doesn't matter intoxicated or not. Leaving badly wounded people suffering on the scene only thinking about yourself is LOWER than low. Piece of filth.

Before they require drivers to render aid to victims, they need to put in place good Samaritan laws that protect the drivers from being prosecuted if their "help" is seen to cause further injury, as help from the untrained is prone to do.

It would also be helpful to put in meaningful punishment for vigilante justice that often sees drivers who don't do a runner beaten and even killed by angry bystanders and folks from the other vehicle.

The long term residents I work with, all tell me the best thing to do in an accident with injuries is to get away, contact the company attorney, and let him deal with it. And these aren't Thai guys. These are Brits, Canucks and Yanks.

The laws in the US are pretty strong if you leave the scene of an accident. I was involved in a minor accident years ago. The other driver basically told me to <deleted> off, it wasn't his fault, and then left. Luckily, I stayed put and called the police. When they showed up they just said it was the other drivers fault as he left the scene of the accident. His insurance paid for the damage.

The laws in the US are pretty strong if you leave the scene of an accident. I was involved in a minor accident years ago. The other driver basically told me to <deleted> off, it wasn't his fault, and then left. Luckily, I stayed put and called the police. When they showed up they just said it was the other drivers fault as he left the scene of the accident. His insurance paid for the damage.

I can't say I'd ever leave the scene. It's just been too ingrained that leaving the scene has dire consequences. But this isn't Kansas (or Texas) and it seems the consequences of sticking around here outweigh the consequences of running off and then turning yourself in later.

And people all over the world are conditioned to act according to the perceived consequences. It's not just Thailand...

Simple solution: remove the cars and go back to the buffaloes. Seems that's all the locals can handle. Bicycles will be allowed too. But no motorized vehicles. Just too much.

Probably a 2000 baht fine and have a nice day.

Probably not, after the Chiang Mai tragedy. I expect the main man, the P.M., here in Thailand will be quite flustered on hearing this bad news.

Why do you live in Thailand.... Leave it to the Thai people to set their own laws.... if you don't like living here... there's the door... and please shut it behind you..! facepalm.gif

Until someone important gets hit and killed by a drunk driver who then flees the scene ... nothing will change

Life is meaningless and has no value

People just do not care

Just read about a lady in Roi Et who got beaten to death in front of witnesses and noone did anything

Such a sad disgusting state of affairs and this is in part why Thailand is a 3rd world country

Why do you live in Thailand.... Leave it to the Thai people to set their own laws.... if you don't like living here... there's the door... and please shut it behind you..! facepalm.gif

I think you may find NeverSure is a distant admirer of Thailand from the peace and comfort of the Greatest Nation on Earth.

Edited by ratcatcher

if you don't like living here... there's the door... and please shut it behind you..!

Ah yes, the "Thaier than Thai" brigade shows up. You would sing a different tune if this happened to you or your immediate family.

coffee1.gif

Just an observation, and most certainly not an excuse or absolute reason for these terrible accidents, but in either case did the bikes have lights?

I say this because I don't think I have ever seen a bike with lights on after dark in Thailand.

Edited by JAG

Yes, you benefited from a legal presumption that the driver who fled was at fault. You would also have had that same presumption had he been intoxicated and stuck around.

Tests for DUI also create a presumption because they aren't absolute proof. Testing an alcohol level of perhaps .07 or .08 depending on the state creates a legal presumption of intoxication with no further tests needed. Don't drink and drive.

Presumptions, if properly applied, really help the good guy and society at large.

LOL. I tried living in Thailand twice. Couldn't hack it. I have visited and do visit many times.

You're right. It's shit like this that keeps me from going all in so I'm a traveler. I'm always happy to visit and always happy to get back to a first world environment where I own my home and have an absolute right to be here. thumbsup.gif

Oh, It's hard to hurt my feelings, too. smile.png

Before they require drivers to render aid to victims, they need to put in place good Samaritan laws that protect the drivers from being prosecuted if their "help" is seen to cause further injury, as help from the untrained is prone to do.

It would also be helpful to put in meaningful punishment for vigilante justice that often sees drivers who don't do a runner beaten and even killed by angry bystanders and folks from the other vehicle.

The long term residents I work with, all tell me the best thing to do in an accident with injuries is to get away, contact the company attorney, and let him deal with it. And these aren't Thai guys. These are Brits, Canucks and Yanks.

Yes, that's true. On the other hand in the one instance I required the assistance of 'good samaritans' ( having fainted and cut my head open because of a low blood pressure issue) they were readily forthcoming...all Thai and they assistance they rendered was wonderful. I suspect it is the guilty and guilt-ridden who hide behind the good samaritan issue as a way to flee in a cowardly manner.

What's the big deal? The attitude toward drink driving in Thailand is 50-60 years behind what sentiment in the West. Thailand is still way back in 1955 Rural Texas where the officer just says, "OK Bob, just drive slow and take it easy next time, OK?"

The girl in Chiangmai posted sentiment to the effect that those cyclists she killed had no business exercising where she was driving. It just simply is not her fault.

If you don't believe me, follow these steps:

1. Go to Chiangmai

2. Go to Warm Up on Nimman Road

3. Wait until closing time between midnight and 2 a.m. (depending)

4. Watch the Thai Uni bros drag each other stumbling out of the bar while the phuu ying thai smear their makeup

5. Observe the police ASSISTING students to get on or in their vehicles while drunk

6. Realize. This. Is. Thailand.

7. Adjust your activities accordingly.

Yes, that's true. On the other hand in the one instance I required the assistance of 'good samaritans' ( having fainted and cut my head open because of a low blood pressure issue) they were readily forthcoming...all Thai and they assistance they rendered was wonderful. I suspect it is the guilty and guilt-ridden who hide behind the good samaritan issue as a way to flee in a cowardly manner.

That's one problem with the interweb.

I can locate dozens of videos of people getting the crap kicked out of them after an accident. Kind of scary, really. Not sure I want to risk that happening to me or (especially) my loved ones in the car with me.

But I can't find a single Youtube of a couple of drivers politely exchanging insurance information after an accident while calmly waiting for the police to show up.

The good Samaritan issue isn't an excuse to flee the scene. But it's a good reason to think really carefully before treating a victim while you're waiting for the authorities. Moving an injured person without proper training risks making the situation much worse.

Not a legal presumption of intoxication but something more severe for leaving the scene of an accident involving other people (doing a runner) like a mandatory prison term of 2 years and a 5 year driving ban and if fatalities are involve then another couple of tiers more severe again

Edited by smedly