Diabetes - Test Strips... Where to buy?

peter1965

They are expensive everywhere in Thailand, unfortunately. Boots is one of the more reliable suppliers but still expensive. It's probably best to buy enough for immediate needs in Thailand but when you travel home, stock up ( either through cheaper suppliers or on ebay). The devices themselves are quite cheap in most other countries ( sometimes free if they are linked to a branded test strip...but in Thailand I have never seen them free).

On a related matter, if you have been prescribed metformin ( the usual first medication) try to find the XR (slow release) because it can have unpleasant gastrontestinal effects in some people. Thai pharmacies usually dispense the non XR version.

IF in Bangkok there is a good pharmacy on Sukhumvit 107 (Soi On Nut - Between Suk Rd and Big C (approx 50m on right hand side from Sukhumvit)).

I go there when I need to stock up on 'supplies'... I found this Pharmacy as a result of comments on this forum to another question a few years ago (relating to test strips).

I posted this in a related question, but here it is again.

I'm diabetic and before I came to Thailand I used a fancy metre. When I came here I couldn't get strips for it anywhere. The most common metre here seems to be Acu Check and you can buy them and test strips in Tesco. So, simple answer for you is buy a cheap one for emergency use, when you run out of test strips for your usual machine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have purchased generic Unistrip blood glucose test strips from Amazon and a friend packed them for me from America. I don't know if they deliver to Thailand but I suspect the answer is yes. The strips work like a charm in my OneTouch Ultra meter and even require a smaller blood sample. I have now reduced my costs by 70% over what I was paying at the Chinese pharmacies in Bangkok. A happy camper!

Archived