Natural Sunscreen for my Daughter

JT65

Hi All

Moved back to LOS recently with the family and have a 15 yr old daughter who is worried about her skin ( fair enough ).

We need to buy some sunscreen, although i have steered away from the major brands due to the aluminium and other chemicals used in them.

In Australia there were a few products which were natural and quite effective.

Visited the local Chemist and they did not really have any natural option.

Anybody have any ideas on where i may pickup a suitable product for UV Skin Protection.

Any input appreciated.

Regards

JT

Look at certain oils. I believe neem oil has a decent amount of UV protection.

Hi

Appreciate the quick feedback.

Ive never heard of "neem oil " .

Where would i find it in Chiangmai?

Regards

JT

Look at certain oils. I believe neem oil has a decent amount of UV protection.

Hi

Appreciate the quick feedback.

Ive never heard of "neem oil " .

Where would i find it in Chiangmai?

Regards

JT

I don't know. I don't live there.

I would check online to see if you can order it. Also do some research about other oil for skin protection. I've heard that coconut oil offers some protection, and that's definitely available in Chiang Mai.

From one site. There's a load of info out there. I would try it and see if seems to work for your daughter's skin.

Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has an amazing ability to heal the skin and block the damaging effects of UV radiation from the sun. One of the reasons why it is so effective in protecting the skin is its antioxidant properties, which helps prevent burning and oxidative damage that promotes skin cancer. There have been several recent studies done on the use of coconut oil as a sunscreen but there are fluctuations in the SPF rating of coconut oil. One study “proved” a rating of only 4 while another rated coconut oil at a 10....

There's a load of info out there. I would try it and see if seems to work for your daughter's skin.

I think the oils suggested would result in tanning, especially if your daughter is half Thai.

Avoid. Order online from Oz if you don't want to use brands with PABA.

"Coconut oil has an amazing ability to heal the skin and block the damaging effects of UV radiation from the sun. One of the reasons why it is so effective in protecting the skin is its antioxidant properties."

LOL I didn't even think about how incredibly important is for Thai girls to be as white as possible. facepalm.gif Whitening products everywhere. I was only thinking of protecting the skin from UV damage, so you're right -- bad suggestion by me.

Sabu Sabu Natural Products..they have an online website describing their natural products including sunscreen lotion. They sell in several retail outlets around Chiang Mai, just check the website for a place near you.

Thanks so much

Checked the website out and will head down to a Rimping today.

Once again, i greatly appreciate the info.

Regards

JT

Let me get this straight. You don't like aluminum. Instead you want something "natural". Ummm...

Just because Aluminium is "natural" doesn't mean you want to spread it on your skin, or inject it into your veins (in a vaccine).

Uranium, arsenic and white phosphorous are also "natural" - they also happen to be gluten free, low calorie, contain no trans-fats, artificial colours, artificial flavours or animal products ...... but you probably don't want to sprinkle them on your breakfast cereal either.

the chemicals in sunscreen as most people don't know

are famous to give SKIN CANCER

20-30 minutes in the sun a day is ideal for your vitamin D production

for the rest, cover up, wear a hat, a shirt that covers shoulders and you/she will be fine

50+ years ago, people did not have skin cancer, it is only when they started to invent expensive chemical crap to suposedly protect you

remember the governement health advices : margarine is so much better than butter, fat is bad and sugar is ok; light products are healthy ... ETC

big companies do not care about your health (look at the crap CP sells here & in bed with monsanto GMO crops), but about money money money

Hello! I have been reading all the answers and most of them are good, I just want to recommend you this product Beyonce Products "Caviar Day Block Serum", me and my girlfriend been using it and is really good! The brand is from Paris and it's sell it here www.beyonceproducts.com

for the rest, cover up, wear a hat, a shirt that covers shoulders and you/she will be fine

50+ years ago, people did not have skin cancer, it is only when they started to invent expensive chemical crap to suposedly protect you

remember the governement health advices : margarine is so much better than butter, fat is bad and sugar is ok; light products are healthy ... ETC

big companies do not care about your health (look at the crap CP sells here & in bed with monsanto GMO crops), but about money money money

At last, somebody with knows exactly what they are talking about.

It is important for heart health, good immunity and protection from cancer (yes, even skin cancer) to have at least half of your body exposed to the sun (between 11.00 - 15.00 is best) for 15 - 30 minutes every day if you can manage it, or until your skin turns a pale pink colour (not red). It is important not to over do it as sun burn can cause skin cancer. Vitamin D3 is extremely important and a lack of this vitamin results in a whole spectrum of illnesses.

Coconut oil is indeed extremely good for protecting the skin. I use it for cooking as well, as it has amazing health benefits and doesn't promote inflammation, weight gain and increased cholesterol, as refined vegetable oils do.

50 years ago people had skin cancer, we can discuss if it was more or less, but they had it.....As well people who ever use sunscreen get skin cancer.

Just read the labels and look for something with zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. They come in varying degrees of concentration, but the higher, the better. There are plenty of products on the market right now with these ingredients, you just have to try a few different stores. The idea is that these two products create a physical barrier, which blocks the sunlight/UV. The other, chemical sunscreens create a chemical barrier, with is why their safety is questionable. The only issue with zinc/titanium is that they tend to leave more of a white residue (they are physical barriers, after all), so you may want to experiment with a few different brands to find out which one works well for you/your daughter.

At the end of the day, any sunscreen is better than none, as it is sunburn and sun damage that has a direct correlation with skin cancer rates. Anyone who has ever worn sunscreen can attest to the fact that does in fact reduce the likelihood of sunburn. It is true that skin cancer rates have spiked recently, but that is due to vastly increased screening and detection, combined with decreased clothing coverage as compared to 50-100 years ago (at least among white people, who are biologically least equipped to handle UV radiation, due to a lack of melanocytes in their skin).

• 1 month later...

From one site. There's a load of info out there. I would try it and see if seems to work for your daughter's skin.

Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has an amazing ability to heal the skin and block the damaging effects of UV radiation from the sun. One of the reasons why it is so effective in protecting the skin is its antioxidant properties, which helps prevent burning and oxidative damage that promotes skin cancer. There have been several recent studies done on the use of coconut oil as a sunscreen but there are fluctuations in the SPF rating of coconut oil. One study “proved” a rating of only 4 while another rated coconut oil at a 10....

There's a load of info out there. I would try it and see if seems to work for your daughter's skin.

No it doesn't - it doesn't protect at all and if you tan more at all this means your skin has already been damaged.

"50+ years ago, people did not have skin cancer," - absolute nonsense!

"50+ years ago, people did not have skin cancer," - absolute nonsense!

Skin cancer has been around for thousands of years.

However the most deadly form of skin cancer melanoma is increasing rapidly and that is despite the fact that more people are sun wise and using sunscreens.

That I suppose begs the question of the main cause of skin cancer?

Is it sun exposure or is sun exposure only one factor?

Melanoma can appear anywhere on the body and in places the sun never see. Black people also get skin cancer and so do people in northern European countries so it makes you wonder.

Some fair skinned people have huge amounts of exposure and never get skin cancer while other people with small amounts of exposure end up with skin cancer.

However, on a population level the incidence of skin cancer is vastly lower in people with darker skin tones.

Darker skin, of course, is a natural evolutionary adaptation to stronger sun exposure and lighter skin the opposite.

As to changing rates, keep in mind the erosion of the ozone layer. UV rays are coming through much more directly than they used to, making equivalent durations of sun exposure much more dangerous.

And, of course, people are living longer, which increases the risk of every type of cancer since all cancers result from cumulative genetic mutations: some of them sometimes inherited (making the person more susceptible form the get-go), , some of them from environmental causes and some of them purely accidental (the more times a cell divides -- related to how old you are - -the more accidental mutations you'll accumulate).

Lastly people are much more mobile than in the past. Far more light skinned people managing to travel to and live in or spend significant time in, countries near the equator. (Australia being a whole continent full of them, and not coincidentally being the melanoma capital of the world).

However, on a population level the incidence of skin cancer is vastly lower in people with darker skin tones.

Darker skin, of course, is a natural evolutionary adaptation to stronger sun exposure and lighter skin the opposite.

As to changing rates, keep in mind the erosion of the ozone layer. UV rays are coming through much more directly than they used to, making equivalent durations of sun exposure much more dangerous.

And, of course, people are living longer, which increases the risk of every type of cancer since all cancers result from cumulative genetic mutations: some of them sometimes inherited (making the person more susceptible form the get-go), , some of them from environmental causes and some of them purely accidental (the more times a cell divides -- related to how old you are - -the more accidental mutations you'll accumulate).

Lastly people are much more mobile than in the past. Far more light skinned people managing to travel to and live in or spend significant time in, countries near the equator. (Australia being a whole continent full of them, and not coincidentally being the melanoma capital of the world).

Yes Sheryl no doubt sun is a major factor in skin cancer but still it doesn't explain why they can occur in people who don't have much sun exposure and in areas that never see the sun and in black people and often not in people with fair skin who have lots of sun exposure.

There must be other factors at play ie compromised immune system, dietary factors, EMFs, degradation of food supply chain could all possibly play a part?

Edited by Tolley

Yes Sheryl no doubt sun is a major factor in skin cancer but still it doesn't explain why they can occur in people who don't have much sun exposure and in areas that never see the sun and in black people and often not in people with fair skin who have lots of sun exposure.

There must be other factors at play ie compromised immune system, dietary factors, EMFs, degradation of food supply chain could all possibly play a part?

Your assumptions about skin cancer are all without any foundation. You are making the classic mistake of confusing association with cause.

Skin cancer is largely caused by exposure to UV...."B" is considered the most dangerous but now there are more concerns being raised about "A".....all skin colours get cancer. if you skin is already naturally dark then in general, you have in general more protection.....but you are not immune - black-skinned people are particularly susceptible to certain deadly kinds of melanoma.

There is little evidence to suggest that the amount of UV about is increasing - (the "hole in the ozone layer" was in fact one of the first successful environmental measures taken internationally and is decreased in size - (it was never directly over Australia.) - it is people's exposure and detection that are the main factors.

The increases in skin cancer note especially in the western world are due largely to two factors......

Firstly - lifestyle - in Europe and North America more in the last 50 years, people have been able to travel abroad for their summer holidays and fashion dictates they strip down to the bare minimal and deliberately cultivate a tan...meaning they won't leave until they have actually damaged their skin. Up until the 1920s a tan was considered a sign of being working class in Western Society....after that various health movements and Hollywood promoted the idea that a tan was healthy....and so people followed...eventually with the resulting increases in cancer. In Thailand of course dark skin is still regarded as the hallmark of someone who works in the fields.

It has also bee suggested that periods of unemployment in the 70s and 80s resulted in increases as people without jobs spent more time just sitting outside..

Secondly detection - for instance the UK health service now detects more skin cancers than Australia does..........Australia has lead the awareness campaigns for skin cancer to the extent that now they have identified a problem of vit D deficiencies that are caused by a lack of sun. As a country with a high number of fair-shinned people in a very sunny climate they re caught between a rock and a hard place.

As far as areas that "never see the sun" - well as said these people now often go to warmer places whereas before that wasn't an occurrence. However, it doesn't have to be "sunny" to have a UV problem. UVC rays are bounced back off the atmosphere, but UV are strongest as one gets nearer the equator because the less atmosphere they travel through the more they are observed.......this means also if you live at altitude the UV is far stronger than at see level...there is also the problem of reflection - anyone who has been skiing will tell you how after a few days on the slops their exposed skin is tanned - even under the chin! Under clouds still up to 50

5 of the UV can penetrate - I can vouch for that at after a particularly cloudy pop festival in the 80s coming back with a bright red face after 3 days with no sun at all. ...and that was in thr uK where UVB levels are low all year round.

There are currently people testing the various UV protection creams for adverse health effects - this is only right - however as yet there are no conclusive reports as to what harm they cause or to what extent.......it of course makes great headlines in the tabloids who like to find at least one new carcinogen a week.

someone once made 2 lists of all the substances that the Daily Mail (UK) claimed could cause or protect you against cancer...needles to say several items e.g. coffee, wine, appeared on both lists. - One "scientific" article in a newspaper does not constitute a "fact" - especially if it is accompanied by the word "breakthrough" - never believe just one article in the media - read up throughly before you cautiously come to any conclusion