What role do you feel that the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers should be playing?

simon43

Poll - What role do you feel that the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers should be playing:  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The various TPV's, from various countries, should use their first language to help their fellow countrtymen with basic things like directions. Eg. "Which way is it to the beach?" etc etc

Whilst walking around, I have no problem with them being observant and keeping an eye on things like ATM's, for example, for suspicious behaviour like skimmers, and reporting it.

They should not be making traffic stops, they should not be making arrests, unless they witness the crime, and they should not be called to the police stations to take part in "mediation."

The various TPV's, from various countries, should use their first language to help their fellow countrtymen with basic things like directions. Eg. "Which way is it to the beach?" etc etc

Whilst walking around, I have no problem with them being observant and keeping an eye on things like ATM's, for example, for suspicious behaviour like skimmers, and reporting it.

They should not be making traffic stops, they should not be making arrests, unless they witness the crime, and they should not be called to the police stations to take part in "mediation."

Hey, we agree on something today.

Hey, we agree on something today.

Remember this day, my friend. Remember this day. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

In addition to NKM "Police" should be taken out of the title. They should be a Tourist Volunteer/Helper, something like that. The uniform should not resemble a police uniform. The volunteers at Waikiki Beach wear (a few years ago) a bright pink polo shirt, with khaki shorts and sports shoes. Their gear was a 2 way radio and a cell phone. They were stationed in all the hot spots offering direction, free maps and general information. That is the type of program I would like to see. It may be better run by Rotary, Navy League, or similar group.

Any current or 'retired' TPVs care to vote and comment? Right now, not one voter (including me as a long-serving TPV) thinks the TPVs should have law enforcement powers,

@Shot, some years ago, after I did a stint as a TPV in Pattaya (foreign police volunteer translator actually), and then returned back to my Phuket homebase, I dropped the TPV uniform completely and worked as an independant volunteer at Phuket Airport, sporting a white 'Tourist Assistance' polo shirt with orange logo and orange baseball cap, with no police 'trappings'.

This worked fine with the tourists and passengers at the airport, but my efforts were not really 'supported' by the TP, so I returned to the Phuket TPV team and continued my work at the airport, albeit without taser nor nightstick nor handcuffs, (quite frankly, there are enough airport security staff to jump on any passenger who is drunk in charge of their suitcase...)

I still have my Tourist Assistance cap and shirt somewhere - if I find them, I'll take a photo and post it.

Edited by simon43

In addition to NKM "Police" should be taken out of the title. They should be a Tourist Volunteer/Helper, something like that. The uniform should not resemble a police uniform. The volunteers at Waikiki Beach wear (a few years ago) a bright pink polo shirt, with khaki shorts and sports shoes. Their gear was a 2 way radio and a cell phone. They were stationed in all the hot spots offering direction, free maps and general information. That is the type of program I would like to see. It may be better run by Rotary, Navy League, or similar group.

I agree.

From memory, I posted something similar a while back.

In many countries, police are feared and avoided by locals, even if one is in need of help. For these tourists, the word "police" should not be displayed on any uniform.

I would not recommend "pink shirts" as it denotes affiliation with a particular political persuasion in Thailand. Same as yellow shirts and red shirts. biggrin.png

Fluorescent orange or green shirts might be ok. They can have the words "Tourist Assistant" or similar printed on them, but no patches, badges, medals, rank etc etc on them.

It's the "Uniform Mentality" I have seen it all over the world.

Seems they have no coinfidence with out a "uniform" (military like"

Intimidating !

A T-Shirt, identifying who they are, a Large Photo I.D. Around the neck, Kiki shorts and trainers.

Makes visitors feel comfortable, not intimidated. It works well in Florida, and the Bahamas.

What ever happened to "Travelers Aid"

Everyone I have met has been an officious and self-important intermeddling wannabe cop cut from the same cloth as a prison rat. They should all be taken out back and beaten. I wouldn't seek the "help" of one of these guys for any amount of love or money.

Bunch of wannabe donut munchers. Go back to their countries and they probably wouldn't be able to get a muncher job even as a volunteer. Spend enough money on the local muncher department back home and you could be a true wannabe like that idiot in Tulsa OK and pull out the wrong gun and kill someone.

Idiots all!

All that is needed, is that the police has a list of resident foreigners who can be called if there is a need for an interpreter. For instance a French speaker whose English is also good, could help a lot easing communication problems, even if he doesn't speak much Thai. I am certain a lot of people would be willing to help out.

Although I do believe a translation service would have value, I had to vote "No TPV" simply because it includes the word "Police."

They are not Police ... and it concerns me what kind of person gets their kicks "Playing Cop."

It would be interesting to see how many would walk away if they said the uniform was (as suggested by many) a bright polo shirt, large ID photo worn around neck, etc .. but no badge, no uniform, no "I am a COP, fear me' regalia.

Just staying around tourist hot spots, giving directions, and, if REQUESTED by a person arrested by the Thai Police .. they may offer translation help there.

You see, many of us have Thai freinds who can do more in 10 minutes to help, than these "Cops" could do in a week.

These TVP may know HOW... but my friends know WHO ... this is Thailand .. let;'s see which of those gets the most traction when it counts.

I think they shouldn't exsist. Either you're a cop or not. If they want forgrien cops hire them like they do teachers.Or simply don't have them at all.

Actually, best just not to have them at all lest they bring with them their own prejudice and bias, especially American cops.

In defence of the TPVs, there are a lot of 'unseen' tasks that some of them do to help tourists/expats, that otherwise would not be undertaken,

For example, (and I mention my own work purely as an example, not to blow my own trumpet), completing police reports for insurance purposes when a tourist loses their luggage or has something stolen. Many tourists (most?) do not know the required procedure and nor do they speak Thai, (the insurance report is completed in Thai language and requires assistance from a competent Thai speaker,

What about warning tourists about the dangers of the rip currents at some beaches in low season?

What about keeping a presence in busy tourist areas to watch out for pick-pockets?

What about apprehending the loris touts?

There are various duties that volunteers perform which do assist and protect expats/tourists from exploitation.

Guess everything can better be done by native Thais.

What about females?

Although that is a bit off topic, I do not mind at all !!!

Actually, that is a subject I embrace with enthusiasm and can not get enough of !!

ABSOLUTELY !! The more, the merrier!

Females? Three words ... YES YES YES.

Question number 4 should be.

To assist in translation only. Every TPV should be fluent in written and spoken Thai.

Why do they hang out in immigration offices? Are they immigration police too?

Can someone please explain to me why a Foreigner is prohibited form doing many types of work, because it would take work form a Thai Citizen. (And that includes volunteer work)...

And then, here, the lines are completely blurred and a Foreigner can act in the role of ... not just a Thai ... but a Thai with the force of the Law behind him?

Can NOT teach English in my condo lobby without a work permit ...
CAN work hand in glove with the government in the role of law enforcement.

EXAMPLE: I have a Thai friend who works at a high level as a translator of Thai - English and Italian after decades as an international tour guide. Pretty sure he would love to be PAID by the tourists visiting HIS country when they need translation services.

Am I missing something here?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Question number 4 should be.

To assist in translation only. Every TPV should be fluent in written and spoken Thai.

Why do they hang out in immigration offices? Are they immigration police too?

They don't hang around immigration offices, those are not tourist police volunteers.

Can someone please explain to me why a Foreigner is prohibited form doing many types of work, because it would take work form a Thai Citizen. (And that includes volunteer work)...

And then, here, the lines are completely blurred and a Foreigner can act in the role of ... not just a Thai ... but a Thai with the force of the Law behind him?

Can NOT teach English in my condo lobby without a work permit ...
CAN work hand in glove with the government in the role of law enforcement.

EXAMPLE: I have a Thai friend who works at a high level as a translator of Thai - English and Italian after decades as an international tour guide. Pretty sure he would love to be PAID by the tourists visiting HIS country when they need translation services.

Am I missing something here?

No, they're not in law enforcement, that would be police volunteer, not tourist police volunteer.

A lot of good people volunteer themselves.

The issue as I see it is that many foreigners in Thailand think only inside their own box. They don't see the help that these volunteers wish to offer, instead their negative outlook only sees the ego trip they would be on, seeking power etc... thus they transfer their own inadequacies, experiences (or lack thereof) and opinions on to others...

A number of the long term foreigners in Thailand are social misfits, those with a screwed up moral compass - its is these foreigners who are often the most 'negatively' outspoken. Thus, most of the comments against the Tourist Police Volunteers are negative and perhaps manipulate the thoughts of a number of others.

Add into this the bad press as a result of a small minority of 'wrong uns' who've become TVP and the Image is not exactly wholesome.

Thus: The foreign public in general is missing a vital level respect preventing the Tourist Police Volunteers from doing their jobs well.

I therefore voted 'Solely to offer help and assistance' simply because from conception the system and potential issues was ill thought out. In an ideal world they could be afforded the powers to do a better job in tourist areas.

Firsly take away Police on any ID card or any where else. To be known as Police could mean to some of the volunteers can use their egos to muscle in where they should be minding their own business. I have been here for 10 years and not needed a volunteer plod at any time. I also can't think why someone needs to walk about , chest out saying look at me I'm important. As said earlier here ' come to LoS to retire not join the BiB '. There that should put the cat among the Pidgeons.

Every TPV should be fluent in written and spoken Thai.

That would exclude every foreign volunteer that I know, (including myself - my written Thai is good but not fluent).

The only foreigner volunteer (actually liaison translator in BKK) I know who speaks excellent Thai is Peter (Badbanker on this forum). His spoken Thai is much better than mine, but I don't think he writes Thai.

It is very unusual for a volunteer to have to write fluent Thai - I don't think it is required. But certainly the ability to speak good/very good Thai can be an immense help, as well as being able to read Thai (for legal documents etc).

Edited by simon43