Who Likes Thai Films?

joebuzzard

More movie goodness and badness:

Butterfly in Grey. A rental (thank goodness). Awful! Confusing story. First the woman is in prison, having a lesbian affair with her cellmate and being threatened by the "butch" tough girrrl, then she's in an apartment with the abortion chick from Jan Dara and others. It lost me. And no amount of nudity or soft-core sex could hold my interest. Too much like a tv soap opera.

Som and Bank: Bangkok for Sale. One by one of the Pang Bros, it's about a uni student who's a prostitute and a slacker guy who sells drugs. They meet cute. He tells a joke in Siam Square. Then she shows up to save him from thugs by whupping them with a backpack full of bricks. He finds out she's a prostitute and he's suddenly not interested. Then he is interested. So they do a big drug deal together. How sweet. This is very stylish, with lots of washed-out and supersaturated colors and fantasy scenes of beating up a Star Mart clerk.

Song for Chao Phraya. Another from the treasure trove of Prince Chatrichalerm's movies being sold at Mangpong. From 1990, it's about a family that runs a sand barge. The wife is tired of the screaming baby and the floating way of life. She gets off the boat in Bangkok, and gets a shifty taxi driver to take her to a beauty salon. She is made up to look like a superstar. Another woman sees her. Fresh meat. Meanwhile, hubby wants his wife back. He leaves the screaming kid and barge to his plucky little 15-year-old sister in law. He finds the no-good taxi driver and is taken for a ride to the beauty parlor, to Patpong and a Chao Phraya 1 massage parlor. The drama that plays out is typically soul crushing, but it is still artful and avoids becoming an overacted melodrama like the tv soaps.

The Angel. In the mood for retro? It's the hip thing. Well this one's so retro it's almost not cool. From 1974, it's another Prince Chatrichalerm "message movie". Malee is a girl from Chiang Mai who meets a sweet-talking man. She runs away with him (during Songkran, good shots of that) to Bangkok. He takes her to one of those "curtain" motels. She wakes up. He is gone. The hotel manager wants paid. Sorapong Chatree plays a bespectacled tough-guy pimp. Malee must work to pay the hotel bill. She has been duped. Sorapong's performance is the highlight of the movie. He's a pimp with a heart of gold. There's a cool fight scene in which one of the prostitutes disrespects a customer. All heck breaks loose. The theme from Shaft plays. There's lots of fake blood. The police arrive. Malee is out on the street. Afraid to go home, she decides she must keep "working". Eventually, she'll have a chance to make other choices as well.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI there,

just got hold of 'The Eye' the other day from the reccommendation from this thread.

Scared the living daylight out of me!!! :D:D:D

I am a total wimp when it comes to scary film though.... Halfway through the film, my hubby got bored and sneaked out of the living room. When he walked back in he put a white bed sheet over him and called out my name. Bl**dy h*ll! Normally I would have laughed but that was right after some really scary scenes that I screamed & threw pillows at him.

He couldn't stop laughing & didn't understand why I was so scared. My mum didn't understand why either when I told her, hoping to get some sympathy...

It's a bit difficult getting Thai films around here in the UK though... :o

You can get subtitles for many Thai films including Ong Bak and Bangrajan here:

http://kloofy.subtitles.de/start.php

I'm sure all the information on how to insert the subtitles onto your VCDs is available on the site, aswell as which media players are specially designed for adding subtitle files easily.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have any subtitles for Fan Chan, but people do upload new subs all the time,so it's worth checking back from time to time.

For a movie like Ong Bak the subtitles aren't so important, but I found them very useful for my Thai language VCD of Suriyothai, the Thai in that is really quite difficult for me to understand.

A mate of mine said that there was a film festival on in bangkok in the next couple of weeks.. does anyone know of any more info.. or a website?

:o

The plainly named Bangkok Film Festival, run by the father of all Thailand film festivals, Brian Bennett, starts April 29 and runs to May 9 at the Emporium.

http://www.movieseer.com/bangkokfilmfestival/schedule.htm

I was going to see a movie with my Thai girlfriend. Her English is limited. So, she says to me, "You want to see I fuk". So, I said ,"Okay."

Turns out she was talking about "Ai Fak". The movie had no subtitles, but I found that with my limited Thai, I understood nearly everything. I highly recommend it.

Just watched the LEGEND OF SURIYOTHAI - quite an epic although I got kinda lost with all the characters. Guess it'd be like watching BRAVEHEART for those of us of European descent. I liked it...especially the big dueling sword scene on elephant-back - very cool.

Also saw BANGKOK DANGEROUS. Very Tarantino-esque :o

Moon

Just watched the LEGEND OF SURIYOTHAI - quite an epic although I got kinda lost with all the characters. Guess it'd be like watching BRAVEHEART for those of us of European descent. I liked it...especially the big dueling sword scene on elephant-back - very cool.

Also saw BANGKOK DANGEROUS. Very Tarantino-esque :o

Moon

I want to see Bangkok Dangerous.

I like Butterfly Man and I also don't like it.

I like that one with the bloke with all the tattoos who makes Victory Monument blow up and the Skytrain collapse.

I also like that one with the naked middle aged Thai man who escapes from all the baddies and hides behind a wall with a blind tramp talking to his bottom.

I felt the same conflict you have about Butterfly Man. I could identify when he was talking with the bar-girl he picked up and she was giving him pyschoanalysis. Really, I think that's what they are paid for. The sex act is a freebie. Anyway, I digress. The payoff on Butterfly Man doesn't come until the very end.

I haven't seen the other movies, but I'm guessing they are:

Killer Tattoo.

The Bodyguard.

Just finished watching an old Shaw Bros movie - Duel of Fists - a Thai kickboxing movie.

Filmed in Bangkok in 1971, it has some great glimpses. The hero, David Chiang, starts out staying at the Dusit Thani. That intersection there of Rama IV and Silom looked amazing without the flyover bridge (and the traffic) blocking the way. Later on, the hero and his hot Thai chicky (who just happens to speak fluent Chinese and drives an E-type Jaguar) check out the old Siam Inter-Continenal. More amazing stuff. There were actually trees and flowers around, instead of pavement and stupid shopping malls. I've only been in Bangkok for 3 years now, but remember the Inter-Con just before it was torn down. Makes me sad to see such a unique place fall to the developers.

Anyway, there are also some great boxing scenes, featuring this brutal guy named Cannon who absolutely decimates his opponents. In fact, he kills them in the ring.

I love these Shaw Brothers titles. Dozens of them have been re-released by Celestial in widescreen version on DVD and are for sale around town. I can't get enough of them. They have Thai and Mandarin soundtracks and Thai and English subtitles.

Thai Cinema, love it...

In fact, there are about a dozen or so vintage Thai films (50-60s) that I'm very eager to find. So eager, that I am willing to pay a VERY nice finders fee to anyone who can find them. Anyone interested?

• 2 weeks later...
Thai Cinema, love it...

In fact, there are about a dozen or so vintage Thai films (50-60s) that I'm very eager to find. So eager, that I am willing to pay a VERY nice finders fee to anyone who can find them. Anyone interested?

Oh I'm interested. I wouldn't know where to start looking, though.

What are some titles from that era that are well-regarded?

I'm sure there is more to classic Thai cinema than the movies that are being sold at Mangpong.

Unfortunately, even movies that are a couple of years old are difficult to find.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following the coverage of the Cannes Film Festival, where a Thai film was in competition for the first time. The movie, Tropical Malady or Sud Pralad, by Apichatpong Weerasethkul, who directed Blissfully Yours, won the third-place jury prize.

At a press screening it was booed and had people walking out. It was better received at a public screening, though, from what I've read.

Yesterday's Bangkok Post had a huge article about it, in which Kong Rithdee wrote: "I was there, and yes, there were people booing. But there were also people shouting "Bravo!" I talked to people, and yes, many disliked the movie for numerous reasons (unintelligible, incoherent, weird, crazy). But there were also supporters who enthusiastically sang praises to the film's uncompromising artistic ambition."

He goes on:

"Even though Tropical Malady won a prize, it doesn't mean that everybody has to like it, or that the film is indisputably "good". The ability to stimulate constructive discussion, to arouse diverse subjective opinions, is the magic of cinema -- of any great art. What's more worrying is not whether Apichatpong's movie is brilliant or not, but the widespread narrow-mindedness that could hamper the atmosphere of artistic appreciation in this country.

"I've heard more than a few Thai people say, upon learning that the film won an award at Cannes, that they might have to "climb a ladder to watch it" _ a jest to suggest that the film is intellectual "high art" and unreachable by the majority.

"That's a disgraceful thing to say.

"It's fair to like or dislike the film -- it's perfectly okay to boo if one hates it. But to erect a barrier, to dismiss a piece of work simply because it's unfamiliar, to dismiss it even before seeing it -- that's not fair, not constructive in the least."

I really appreciated what the article said, especially the bit about dismissing a work because it's unfamiliar. That's problem that dismays me when I try to recommend films -- especially Thai films -- to my friends.

I had a closed mind when Blissfully Yours came out in local theaters. I had heard only the bad things about it. Then I rented the DVD and watched it recently. I was surprised to find I actually liked the movie. So I'm looking forward to seeing Tropical Malady.

• 1 month later...

I caught Tropical Malady at the Siam Theater last week. It's pretty weird.

It's in two parts.

Part one is a funny, heartfelt story about a couple of upcountry guys getting into a relationship.

They encounter a couple of motor-mouthed "aunties" along the way, who are quite entertaining.

Part two is pure art, with lots of darkness, shadows and backlighting. It is based on a folk tale about a shape-shifting shaman who was shot by a hunter when he was a tiger. The tiger carcass is in a museum in Kanchanaburi. The spirit of the tiger still roams the forests. A soldier is out along looking for a missing person and the tiger/shaman spirit is after him. And sometimes he is after the spirit.

It's a parallel to part one. Sometimes the soldier was after the small-town boy. Sometimes the small-town boy was chasing after the soldier.

It's not a movie for everyone, but I was glad I saw it.

I also saw Beautiful Boxer. The international version is playing limited engagements this month. It is extended by about 15 minutes over the Thai release that was in theaters last year. The director says the longer version concentrates more on the drama, rather than the action.

There's still some decent action and boxing scenes. All are artfully done. It is beautiful, in fact. But too much melodrama, though the performances aren't overwrought.

There is plenty of humor, too, which helps take the sting out of some of the dramatic exposition.

I was a Film Director in UK TV for 30yrs, so I think I can claim to know what I am talking about, when I say that the Acting, and overall Production, in both Thai Films and Soaps are quite excellent!

Having spent ages in the past, trying to get English Actresses to cry. I am very impressed with the ease with which Thai Actors can turn on the Water-works!

I saw Tropical Malady as well and liked it very much. I even got to meet one of the actors (the naked one) who was out hustling t-shirts after the showing. No, he wasn't naked.

I didn't think the film was confusing at all and was surprised that so many "eminent" film people were perplexed by it. I also like his other film, Blissfully Yours, that came out two years ago. It's available on DVD at Mang Pong for 60 baht or so. He's got another one called "Mysterious Object at Noon"--but I have yet to see it.

Fah Talai Jone (Tears of the Black Tiger) is fantastic. Right, Joe Buzzard?

Angel Hotel (reviewed earlier by JB).

My Sister's Husband (another "oldie")

Pee Saam Baht (silly, but ok)

One Night Husband

Behind the Picture

but my absolute fave is Last Life in the Universe!

Fah Talai Jone (Tears of the Black Tiger) is fantastic. Right, Joe Buzzard?

Angel Hotel (reviewed earlier by JB).

My Sister's Husband (another "oldie")

Pee Saam Baht (silly, but ok)

One Night Husband

Behind the Picture

but my absolute fave is Last Life in the Universe!

Fah Talai Jone (Tears of the Black Tiger) is the coolest of the bunch. I rank it up there with other great westerns - Blazing Saddles, the Searchers, etc.

Missed 3 Baht Ghost. Have to keep an eye out for it.

Was fairly impressed by One Night Husband, though the story didn't make any sense. However, the version that's out on DVD may or may not be the version that was cut by the distributor, so some story points might be missing.

Last Life in the Universe is excellent. But, I like Monrak Transistor (from same director) better.

Good news.

Wisit Saesentiang, director of Fah Talai Jone, is working on a new movie called Citizen Dog.

Also, Pen-Ek Ratanaruang, of Last Life in the Universe, is working again with writer Prabda Yoon for a followup to that film.

• 2 weeks later...

-- Saw the ghost story that's in theaters now, The Commitment. The poster features a girl sawing on her arm with a butcher knife. The movie doesn't get that good, though. Bad acting, bad story, bad (or no) special effects. I kept wanting to get up and leave, but my girlfriend held her ground. Each time I ended up staying, something mildly interesting would happen. But in the end it wasn't worth the effort to see it. 1/5 :D

-- Another ghost story is on DVD. It's called Buppha Ratree. It stars Leila Boonyasak, who was briefly seen in Last Life in the Universe as the younger schoolgirl sister. She's good. The Downs' Syndrome comedian is in it, too, and he has a geniune gift for comedy. At one point, there's a takeoff on The Exorcist that's pretty funny. I was entertained by the jokes and cheesy scares even though I don't speak Thai and the DVD has no subtitles. 3/5 :D

-- A silly, disjointed action flick called Goodman Town is on DVD. It's a takeoff of Road Warrior, set in a post-apocalyptic time. Guess it was filmed in gravel quarry or mine somewhere. No green is to be seen anywhere. Lots of shooting and explosions. Some colorful characters, especially the killers, EArth, Wind, Fire and Water (who is a flaming stereotyped gay guy). But the story doesn't make any sense. Worth a look for some fun. 2/4 :D

-- Was very disappointed to see that Ai Fak was released on DVD without English subtitles. I'm hoping there's a good reason for this, other than just sheer laziness or ineptitude, such as the filmmakers plan to release the film overseas in film festivals, etc., and don't want to compete with a grey market of DVD's being ordered by mail. :o

Just watched Last Life In The Universe, highly recommended. A little confused about the end though, anyone have any thoughts on this? First it seems like he finally commited suicide, then we see him in cuffs in an office with his belongings in front of him. After that it cuts to Osaka where we see Noi with a different hair cut receive a visitor who I assume is Kenji as his bag with the last lizard book is there. Ok, my take: Kenji escaped out the window but gets caught by the police for which he spends several years in prison upon release he gets deported back to Japan where he tracks down Noi. Anyone agree/disagree on this?

Another interesting thing that the film didn't go into was Kenjis' past, with the tattoos covering his back I assume he was in the Yakuza, he could obviously handle a gun and use his fists when he had a need to. Strange sort of guy to have been in the Yakuza. I think a movie about his past and what has made him into the person he is today would make a great prequel.

Well I have a large backlog of Thai movies to watch hopefully I can locate the subtitles for the ones i have, will post some reviews of them once I've had a chance to view them.

Konangrit

I've watched "Last Life..." five times. I really recommend you watch it at least twice as there are some subtle things happening throughout it. My perspective on how it "ends" also changes every time I see it!

SPOILER--if you haven't seen it read no further!

I think that when Kenji is in the police station he's fanatsizing about meeting up with Noi in Japan. I don't believe he ever saw her again (afterall, he did murder someone which generally means a very long prison sentence).

Of course the romantic in me likes to think that he he wasn't sentenced to prison (he was defending his brother, right?) and that he returned to Osaka and found Noi. But how could he find her in such a city?

Then we see the book in the bag--the book that was lost. How was it recovered? (part of why I think his meeting with Noi is pure fantasy).

I met Prabda Yoon (the scriptwriter) a few months ago. I was so surprised to meet him that I forgot to ask him about the ending. I doubt if he would've told me anyway!

Wisit Saesentiang, director of Fah Talai Jone, is working on a new movie called Citizen Dog.

Also, Pen-Ek Ratanaruang, of Last Life in the Universe, is working again with writer Prabda Yoon for a followup to that film.

GREAT! Where *do* you get your info, JoeBuzzard?

Firstly Ai Fak & Nang Nak are my two favourite Thai films.

I was also irked to find that Ai Fak’s DVD was released without Eng subs – <deleted> were its producers thinking?

But… Last life in The Universe - ‘watch it at least twice’!? Eh?

TGF & I both fell asleep a little over 50 minutes through. Sorry, this boat really left us on the shore, waiting… for the next one… Ok, it was (from what we saw of it...) particularly well directed and produced, but its screenplay was just completely disengaging, not to mention its obscure character development. Such that half an hour in, we really didn’t give a proverbial whether Mr. protagonist killed himself or not… or even whether another loud buzz/ring roused us from our increasing stupor. Yep, were it not for LLITU’s occasionally startling sfx, we’d have thrown in our chips long before 50 minutes were even clocked :o

I’m not denying a film’s brilliance because of its vague, arcane or even sparse screenplay as long as a certain captivating magic permeates throughout: i.e., Legend of The Holy Drinker, which due to Rutger Hauer’s (& possibly the only film he stars in worth watching ) brilliance in playing a down and out alcoholic in Paris is well worth watching for those who wish to witness a certain magic of urbane nothingness unfold.

I was also irked to find that Ai Fak’s DVD was released without Eng subs – <deleted> were its producers thinking?

They were thinking -- correctly -- that they have a film on their hands that is good enough to be successful in an international release, and don't want $3 retail Thai VCD's being exported to compete with the $20 subtitled release in the world market.

• 5 weeks later...
Konangrit

I've watched "Last Life..." five times. I really recommend you watch it at least twice as there are some subtle things happening throughout it. My perspective on how it "ends" also changes every time I see it!

SPOILER--if you haven't seen it read no further!

I think that when Kenji is in the police station he's fanatsizing about meeting up with Noi in Japan. I don't believe he ever saw her again (afterall, he did murder someone which generally means a very long prison sentence).

Of course the romantic in me likes to think that he he wasn't sentenced to prison (he was defending his brother, right?) and that he returned to Osaka and found Noi. But how could he find her in such a city?

Then we see the book in the bag--the book that was lost. How was it recovered? (part of why I think his meeting with Noi is pure fantasy).

I just watched "Last Life in the Universe" for the first time last night, upon a recommendation from a cute waitress at a Thai resturant that I often go to here in NYC.

Using the creative powers of my mind, I conjured up my Imaginary Thai Girlfriend™ to accompany me to the movie, and for her to possibly explain it to me...

I really liked The film ( but my Imaginary Thai Girlfriend™ was completely bored with the film, fell asleep as soon as the movie started! She later said that she prefers "Hollywood Movies"....Hmmm..Maybe I should have asked the cute Thai waitress instead! :D )

I may go see it again, to get the other subtle signs in it. I also have some questions about the movie, and some of my take on what happened in the film.....

Spoilers! Don't read any further if you haven't seen the film!

If you have, please go down the window a ways...

1) I also agree with Frond that at the Police Station, Kenji is fantasizing about meeting up with Noi in Osaka. There is a good possibility that he would be released, since he killed his brother's killer in self defense in his own apartment. But I do not know how the Thai Judicial Systems would evaluate that kind of situation in real life..... -_-:o:D

2) As for Finding Noi in Osaka, I'm sure that it would be pretty easy.... If my suspicions are correct, wouldn't he just have to ask his old Yakuza friends managing the City's Karaoke Bars.... :(:D But I would like to believe that she was able to get a "respectable" job in Japan, like what was depicted in Kenji's daydream.... :)

3) As for "The Last Lizard in the World " Book being recovered in Kenji's Police Station fantasy, I agree, it was all a dream...But where did the book really go? Did Kenji accidently dropped it in the river, before his attempted suicide on the bridge? Or did Noi really take it, when she returned Kenji's bag at the library, and for some reason, lied to him that she seen the book? ( maybe she needed it to practice her Japanese reading skills, since she was going to Osaka that monday? )

4) Also, what was the meaning of all the Japanese School girl uniforms in Noi's closet? Did she also used to work at that Japanese Go Go Bar as a Bargirl? Why did she keep them? Was she still working at the bar ? ( reason why her little sister is working there too? ) Is she ashamed that she had to work there - The reason why she yelled at Kenji and told him to get out of her room / house when he discovered them while cleaning up her dirty house? Does that also explain why she burned them all before she left for Japan? Does Kenji ( Like all Japanese men, it seems.. :D ) have a Japanese Schoolgirl fetish? Is that what got Kenji's attention , why he first spotted Noi's sister at the Japanese Library where he worked, because she was wearing the uniform at the time?

5) Does Kenji secretly think about Noi's dead sister? ( which explains the "accident" when Noi fell asleep on his lap.... :) (Or Is it the guilt that she was killed, because of his attempted suicide attempt on the bridge? )

6) Why did he end up in Thailand in the first place? Was he on the run from his Yakuza friends? if so, why didn't they come get him sooner? And why did they send people to kill Kenji so soon after the death of the Yakuza guy that killed his brother?

7) How did Noi's abusive ex-boyfriend find out where Kenji's apartment so fast? How could he have know who he was, let alone Kenji's name. Are there that few Japanese in Bangkok ( where I assume the movie takes place )?

8) Where exactly was Noi's parent's house located? Judging the distance and the location ( the nearby beach near her house ) I'd say that it was somewhere along the Coast on the Northern Gulf of Thailand, Possibly some seaside town between Rayong and Chanthaburi ( even though when they were on their way to the airport, some scenes look like it was along Jomtien beach... )

9) What is the real cause of Kenji's suicide attempts? Is it because of something in his Past ( Yakuza?) Is that the reason why he acts the way he does now, shy and bookish, and not wanting to fit in Thai society?

10) Why did Kenji decide to go with Noi to Osaka at the last moment? Was it just a Plot device? Or did Kenji really fall in love with Noi in the end? And wouldn't he run afoul of his old Yakuza friends once he retured to Japan? Or was he willing to risk his life, just to be with Noi?

11 ) Did Kenji really feel that he was totally alone, before he met Noi? Did he really believe that it was better to have enemies, than be alone?

Also, Is there really a Japanese children's book called " The Last Lizard in the World"?I'd like to get it ( along with other books mentioned in movies, IE "The Philosphy of Time Travel" from the Donnie Darko movie... )

Sometimes I too feel like I am the "Last Lizard In The World"... That's where Imaginary Thai Girlfriend™ comes in!

Maybe now I will rename her "Noi" :wub:

Anyway, I don't know if these questions have any answers, maybe they aren't supposed to. But I really liked this movie...It was not like the few Thai films that I've seen in the past.... I'll defintiely try to go see this movie again, before it dissapears from the Art House theater that it's currently being shown at here (it has a limited run). I'll defintely get it on DVD. I wonder if there are anymore Thai movies like this?

I met Prabda Yoon (the scriptwriter) a few months ago. I was so surprised to meet him that I forgot to ask him about the ending. I doubt if he would've told me anyway!

Wow! I would have done the same thing too, probably.....As for the ending, I guess, it is supposed to be left up in the air.... Oh well, It's good to see a movie make you fill in the gaps, and make one think for a change.....

Owari ni tokage-Chonga de Nara...

That's great news! I can't wait to see it!

I wonder if Kenji finally finds that lost Japanese Children's book in the sequel? :o

• 1 month later...

Felt like giving this thread a bump amid all the bargirl threads.

Caught Shutter. There's another thread about it in this forum. It's one of the better films this year. I'm not a big horror fan, but I thought this one was very well put together.

Coming up, Sai Lor Fa, which has the English title of Pattaya Maniac. :D

It's put together by the same director who did Killer Tattoo (missed it :o ), February (romantic comedy, didn't bother) and Buppa Ratree ("Flower of the Night, which just played at the Toronto film fest), another horror film I've caught on DVD without subtitles. Anyway, I like the guy's style. Has a cast of local comedians. Previews alone have the audience rolling in the aisles.

Also, The Adventure of Iron Pussy is at Central World Festival (or World Trade Center). It's a must-see for me, because it's a light-hearted comedy by the guy who did Blissfully Yours and Tropical Malady. About a transvestite Thai secret agent.

Also, The Adventure of Iron Pussy is at Central World Festival (or World Trade Center). It's a must-see for me, because it's a light-hearted comedy by the guy who did Blissfully Yours and Tropical Malady. About a transvestite Thai secret agent.

Cool! Sounds like a cool movie! :o

The Shutter is a Wak Movie. Some of the gruesome scenes were anything but neccesary. This was disturbing and I would not like to meet the makers of this film. Where I come from the governemtn would nto allow this to be shown in a cinema.