Wife/girlfriends Impressions

Jockstar

My gf found it hard at first, but after awhile she made lots of friends, now she loves it.

She wants to still eat Thai food mostly but luckly i love it too. Job was hard at first but if you look hard enough she will get one.

My gf found it hard at first, but after awhile she made lots of friends, now she loves it.

She wants to still eat Thai food mostly but luckly i love it too. Job was hard at first but if you look hard enough she will get one.

The wife works in media and advertising. Should be easy or not?

As long as she is commited then no problems, But she might have to start from the bottom and be a data entry clerk or something and work her way up, she may get lucky and get what she wants straight away.

Also depends on her english too

The wife works in media and advertising. Should be easy or not?

If she can say 'dahhhhling' and do air kisses with the best of them, she'll be right. Sydney is that type of place. All flash. Bit like BKK really.

Mate, she loved it - felt a lot more at home than in Scotland. There were lots of Thais there(Melbourne) she could have a natter with. She couldn't understand the language, but she couldn't understand in Scotland either, in fact she couldn't understand in Oxford :o

Watch out for the pokies, they can be dangerous.

Mate, she loved it - felt a lot more at home than in Scotland. There were lots of Thais there(Melbourne) she could have a natter with. She couldn't understand the language, but she couldn't understand in Scotland either, in fact she couldn't understand in Oxford :o

Watch out for the pokies, they can be dangerous.

Im half scottish and i cant understand the scottish accent, some of them I believe are speaking a totally different language IMO

My ladys been in Sydney 10 years

Wont even think of moving (I want to retire in Thailand).

However shes still only friends with Thais ,shops in Thaitown every day practicaly,and goes back to Bangkok several times a year for clothes shopping etc.

As far as job prospects in the media ,your wife will need good english and some qualifications,depth of experience.

Joickstar,

I have some good contacts in Media etc they maybe able to help you. My wife will be coming out next year also and have wondered the same things you have. Send me an email and I give u my number , call me when you arrive.

all the best

G

Joickstar,

I have some good contacts in Media etc they maybe able to help you. My wife will be coming out next year also and have wondered the same things you have. Send me an email and I give u my number , call me when you arrive.

all the best

G

Emailed already. Cheers.

Maybe opening a stall might be the go. Look out Donz. :o

Yeah i dont mind, there is actually a few of us that sell clothes there, a few thai's aswell, maybe she can mind the stall with my gf and I can go for a swim in the summer :D

Do you work 5 or 6 days? I may come visit you for a beer or 10. BTW you are buying. :o

There is Thai town on the south side, and on the north there is the "little asia" region around Chatswood - lots of asians of various derivation.

The northern beaches area also seems to have attracted a fair few Thais.

There are LOADS of Thai restaurants in Sydney - look hard enough and you will find one that provides nearly palatable "Thai" food - if you are lucky. Yes, the pokies are a definite hazard - the Thais all seem to love them, and it is far too easy to buy a betting card and just keep on topping it up - it's only numbers by then anyway, not "real cash"...argh!

Sydney is a fairly pleasant city if you want to live in OZ (or have to) but it is nothing like Bangkok in any way shape or form... it has a few luvvies in the media of course, but thats where any similarity ends.

Be careful where you decide to rent/buy - unfortunately the so-called "Thai Town" is not in one of Sydney's best areas. Have a real good look around and bear in mind that after about 9.30pm most nights there is virtually nothing open anywhere.

Public transport there would have to get a whole lot better before it would even qualify as a joke on an international scale.

I have worked in the broadcasting industry worldwide for about 30 years now and Australian media is very similar to anywhere else - so if she has experience and her English is good enough, she should not have any big problems. You didn't mention what section of the media she works in, so can't really help with contacts. If its television, there are many production houses there, and a few post houses too. If she is looking for broadcast work try the networks, possibly 9 may be the best bet, although ABC-2 might be worth a try as it is the national broadcaster and may have more openings for people of various ethnic backgrounds. 7 is mainly based out of Melbourne (the place is run by accountants too - bad idea). Foxtel is in an expansion phase at present I believe (I was there for some months doing some project work), or try Sky News also based at the new Foxtel facility in North Ryde (but a separate organisation).

Having said all this, I admit that I am Australian, but having lived in Thailand for 14 years, I have no intention of leaving and going back down-under. I have three kids all luk-krung and a Thai wife; the kids love Thailand and don't want to live anywhere else despite having been on many trips to Australia (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne).

Good luck with the move anyway...

:o

/edit - spelling

Edited by Greer

Thanks for that mate. We have no intention of living with a bunch of Thais. The wifes words not mine. As said she works in media. Not really TV work. But outdoor media/advertising! I have lived in Sydney before. I plan on us living in the eastern subarbs somewhere. I would like it to be near the beach but too expensive for what you get. Will and have been looking around Paddington and seen a couple on the net. Will be better when we are there. Cheers again. If you know anyone in th wifes field of work then send me an email.

Yeah i dont mind, there is actually a few of us that sell clothes there, a few thai's aswell, maybe she can mind the stall with my gf and I can go for a swim in the summer :D

Do you work 5 or 6 days? I may come visit you for a beer or 10. BTW you are buying. :o

I work there probaly twice a week, I usually go to all different places.

No problem I will buy coz im not a tight ass :D