Other retirement possibilities besides Thailand

watgate

I am interested in hearing from other posters about other possible countries to retire or go to for the winter months. I am sure their are folks who have lived in other countries whether full-time after retirement or for the winter months. Although I like Thailand, I am starting to realize that there are inherent dangers and challenges such as not getting killed by drunken drivers whilst riding a bicycle, the possibility of getting dengue fever or malaria, the dangers of eating foods loaded with chemicals and/or pesticides, breathing foul air. Now I know some are going to say that you can encounter these situations anywhere and you are probably right but I was wondering about places, say in South or Central America or other countries where the weather is good, especially in the winter and the cost of living is cheaper. Also, it would be nice to find another country with friendly ladies. I know I am asking for a lot, but hey, I can dream and maybe someone can enlighten me to other possible countries with all the above-mentioned qualities, as well as no significant difficulties in obtaining a visa.