Issuance of Thai driving licenses will be tougher under revised rule

webfact

In my opinion what is needed is a comprehensive and thoroughly well explained rules for ALL road users.

The best example of this that I know is the New Zealand Transport Agency,Government ROAD CODE

Road users must be able to answer questions to their type of use. A individual verbal test is done,rather than a written one,so points can be discussed to ensure understanding. Next a practical test drive with an AUTHORISED INSTRUCTOR ON NORMAL ROADS takes about 30 minutes

IF you do not pass,a new appointment has to be made with a wait of about 4 weeks.

I am sure the NZ Embassy could arrange for a copy for the police to study here and translate

NEXT

Education must start with schools being serviced by experts from the Agency.There needs to be a standard Video

produced for this use,followed by a question time.A good start would be for kids to learn how to cross a road,and use pedestrian crossings properly, when they are available

NEXT

Full explanation on use of Motor Cycles and use of helmets ,and proper footwear(not thongs)

Not an easy process but a start must be made somewhere.This of course must be followed by ENFORCEMENT

(a NEW word for Thailand)

(X member of Auckland Road Safety Council)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've driven in lots of countries and my mantra is "surviving that drive" when driving in countries with questionable drivers is "I'll drive faster or slower than the other drivers, but there's no way I'll drive at the same speed as them". My theory is that I don't want to be anywhere near when some idiot runs into another idiot. its worked so far wink.png

Driving Test is the most important test you will take in your whole life. It trumps all the academic exams etc. because its no good being a successful doctor or w/e and you end up in a big crash.

This is something that needs to be really underlined, because society is putting ever increasing value on academic rankings, all of which are ultimately meaningless if the road outside the Uni is full of unskilled motorists. Even if the graduate in question is very smart, and a careful driver, they can still lose everything they worked for if the road has unskilled drivers.

So really, highly strict Driving Standards laws are an investment, much more so than academia. If you are investing in your nation, to make it a world leader, safe roads for your skilled workers to drive on is a first priority, not an afterthought.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on that statement . Whilst good training and a test should be a requirement to receive a license it won't make someone a good driver/rider.

Strict enforcement of the laws and experience gained over time is the only way people's attitude/ skills will improve, even then there will still be some bad road users because everyone's skills and road sense varies

I got my 5 year licenses last week. I had to to the eye tests and reaction test.

A group of about 15 people crowded into the room and we all watched each other do the tests.

Three guys failed the reaction test, repeatedly, 2 guys failed the peripheral vision colour test. All 5 of them were told to go and get a drink of water and come back to try again. Of course, all of us that passed were no longer in the room to witness the retesting....all 5 were later in the queue to get their photos done.

Glad to know that water works to correct poor colour vision and reactions.

The huge flaw in the system as exemplified above aside....the OP reports a good change in official attitude towards road safety. I've often dreamed that if I ever win the lottery, part of my charity would be an ongoing road safety campaign.

Water certainly affects my vision and reactions but not necessarily improves.

Oh sorry, that's Usque Baugh ( the water of life ) and the spelling of the Anglified version of word doesn't have an ' e '.

If using Irish - please do so correctly - it's uisce beatha. And the anglicised version is whiskey. So pronounced as it derived from uisce to fuisce. To whiskey.

Not using Irish and it's whisky in Scotland.

Can't test for common sense and reverse the idea or concept that the roads are yours only and no other vehicle could possibly be coming around the corner. Love watching so many people parking here. I oft get at least 3 minutes+ to laugh.

I've often wondered why Thai drivers seem to be obsessed with reversing into tight gaps, in say Big C etc. If they just drove straight in, often they have much more room to reverse out, and the boot of their car is in the correct position to load the shopping.

I just find it strange. Are they taught they must reverse into a gap, irrespective?. I don't know.

although tests cannot be written off as PART of a strategy to reduce road incidents in Thailand, the way these things are presented leaves one with little confidence that they will have any real effect at all.

Firstly the implementation of the test: - How will the new test be any less susceptible to corrupt practices than the old?

Next is how well is this new test researched? what makes them think that the extra hours will show any benefit in real driving in Thailand?

what is the content? is it relevent to driving in Thailand

Will it be backed up by a nationwide TV campaign to underline the new school of driving? - this needs to be a 5 to 10 year program of government commercials...

unless Thailand embraces ALL ASPECTS of road safety in one universal government financed campaign it is hard to see how any significant improvement will ever be achieved.

Yet again this has all the hallmarks of an "off the cuff" un-researched dictum designed ore to benefit an officials standing with his colleagues than any reall attempt to address the problems of road safety in Thailand

Driving Test is the most important test you will take in your whole life. It trumps all the academic exams etc. because its no good being a successful doctor or w/e and you end up in a big crash.

This is something that needs to be really underlined, because society is putting ever increasing value on academic rankings, all of which are ultimately meaningless if the road outside the Uni is full of unskilled motorists. Even if the graduate in question is very smart, and a careful driver, they can still lose everything they worked for if the road has unskilled drivers.

So really, highly strict Driving Standards laws are an investment, much more so than academia. If you are investing in your nation, to make it a world leader, safe roads for your skilled workers to drive on is a first priority, not an afterthought.

I agree and let it further be noted that to fix something the problem has to be first identified. The more talk the closer a change and maybe a solution can be derived.

Many problems with the driving public could be fixed with simple 15 second "How to" driving videos broadcast several times a day.

The roads and their redesign need some serious improvement without all the graft and corruption.. Even if done correctly it would cost a fortune.. but the long term pay back would be a more efficient infrastructure and less death and mayhem on the roads..

One way streets in some of the cities would do allot towards alleviating much of the horrible traffic congestion.... if 500Baht tickets were issued for those who insist on just stopping in the middle of a lane and blocking traffic..... while they do a little shopping or delivery, some might get the message that parking actually means something other than just stopping where you are..

I see this all the time even if there is a real parking spot not 50 feet farther than the front door of the place they want to enter. However in many cases the once designed narrow two lane road is already down to a one lane due to 'no parking spaces'....enter at your own risk for there is no assurance you can travel that road in any reasonable amount of time unscathed...

There really are some very smart people in this country and yes there are problems just like any other country.. By talking and bring a subject up maybe some of the smart ones can get something done.

Yes its important to know the rules, but how will they change the agressive and unsafe driving attitude of many drivers? Additionally, many speed limits are unrealistic (as well as not enforced). Take for example the 90km limit on expressways (not ringroad) at the tollgates police will stop you and say we allow you to do 100 but you exceeded that. So speed limits become discressionary. This is NOT the way to go. A realistic limit should be set and enforced (maybe wishful thinking). As any Bangkok driver will know, whatever speed you are doing someone will try to pass you and often force their way into your breaking distance. Constant lane changing, tailgating, racing between vehicles, motor bikes on banned lanes and generally selfish driving styles are common among many drivers. These are attitude factors and I dont see tougher driving tests changing this. Not much sense in having a big stick if you keep it in an airconditioned police box. Will proper enforcement ever be introduced ? I'm backing on pigs flying first.

Idiots....a tougher test will not improve driving habits... better enforcement to adhere to rule of law.

Or any enforcement at all would be a good start. Here in Samui the only enforcement you ever see is occasionally a helmet check where they pull over the foreigners without helmets and ask them for money but ignore the thais without helmets. So uniform enforcement to all drivers might be a decent start but likely wishful thinking. But the most important thing is actually requiring people who drive on the roads to have licenses rather than making licenses harder to get. I'm sure the net result of that would just be same number of people on the road, just smaller percentage would have passed the test and have licenses.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on that statement . Whilst good training and a test should be a requirement to receive a license it won't make someone a good driver/rider.

Strict enforcement of the laws and experience gained over time is the only way people's attitude/ skills will improve, even then there will still be some bad road users because everyone's skills and road sense varies

In reality driving tests in many "western" countries - especially the States have been totally inappropriate and it is AFTER the test that drivers have learned....through enforcement and public campaigns.

should be the same as the uk questions on the highway code round the block in your car and bobs your uncle .yes we do have accidents and yes we do have idiots on the roads but most people understand the rules of the road .

I got my 5 year licenses last week. I had to to the eye tests and reaction test.

A group of about 15 people crowded into the room and we all watched each other do the tests.

Three guys failed the reaction test, repeatedly, 2 guys failed the peripheral vision colour test. All 5 of them were told to go and get a drink of water and come back to try again. Of course, all of us that passed were no longer in the room to witness the retesting....all 5 were later in the queue to get their photos done.

Glad to know that water works to correct poor colour vision and reactions.

The huge flaw in the system as exemplified above aside....the OP reports a good change in official attitude towards road safety. I've often dreamed that if I ever win the lottery, part of my charity would be an ongoing road safety campaign.

Similar experience: The guy jumped back & laughed when I did the reaction test. I did it with a sense of urgency, isn't that what the test's for? Thais were failing that simple test. The color test is to weed out the color blind & those playing with a very small deck. Again, several failures. We dropped about 50 % of those making it to the written test. The majority of them were probably there on their 2nd, 3rd,.... try. Only a handful of us at the driving test. Pathetic, drive around a corner and parallel park between cones. I was blown away at people knocking the cones over & stopping a meter out from the curb. I did it with a sense of purpose, not in a hurry, just deliberate. The examiner said "to fast", but I passed, every move was by the book. My wife was totally blown away I passed everything the first time.

If you study a bit for the written, practice or already know how to drive, how couldn't you?????????? It's set up for simpletons. I wont waste any time on the reforms issue.

hi there ...first to :

apetley ....... can i send 500THB to you for getting a driving licens ? ..how many pic u need krab pom ??? = honest !!

i tried to make this test in pattaya twice and both times i faild ...yes, yes ..i know what coming up ...but also i was driving cars and little trucks in europe and here i failed .it is the funny way of the questions . first 27 and than 26 right answers .

this minister wants to try a harder way .ok , up to him but it woud never change the way HOW the thais drive ... and thats is the problem. not the rules it is the way how they drive . i was almost killed 3 times here in pattaya . can anybody tell me why people (thais) overtakes you and at the same time turn left and cut off ur way without regard you at all ??...ask a thai about centrifugal, braking distance, stopping distance and so on . give a thai the chance to drive ur car for about 2 minutes ...he will get out and will say : I can drive a car !!

and where do i get my driving licens now ?

anybody know the link to the new test of 50 questions ? old one i stil have and failed no more coz was doing it for long time , now i can but now is to late :-(............wanna try :

http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

thx buddys .......

Last year on samui after having to wear long pants, shirt with collar and shoes in 40c heat, than the usual mountain of paper work, doing a test that even an imbecile could pass, was granted a tempory 1 year liscence. Cost me more than my yearly visa, but have to do for insurance in case some thai clown nails me on the road, what a joke .p.s did in mention it only took 7 hours.

OK just to add my little bit.....

The written test is fine... showing a video of how to drive nicely is great but easily forgotten. They need to stop this driving around a carpark test mentality. You can imagine someone somewhere has decided they don't want to sit in a car with a driver so sit in a hut with a microphone and see how good someone is.

Only when they make people take tests on the road. Learn how to stop at crossings, not run red lights, merge lanes and keep to the left will the driving improve. I am no Mensa graduate but I know reversing into a set of cones can not replicate driving in Bangkok. Also any instructor taking a 2,000 bht bribe to pass the test, which is the norm, should be jailed immediately as this is giving a licence to a possible dangerous driver.

If only the powers that be could read.... I mean could read these threads...

JJ

exactly

Unfortunately, this will not make one bit of difference to the unsafe drivers who already have a licence and those that drive without having a licence. Plus, unless the police decide to start enforcing the written laws that already exist, it is all just window dressing by the government and a simple attempt at public relations that will all be forgotten in short order.

What they need to introduce is a driver training like in most developed countries. More writing test, watching videos etc is waste of time and money. They need to learn how to drive properly in real life situations

many people still use bribary to get a driving test pass in Thailand-my ex wife did

I like cthe theory but the practice needs to be enforced-same with many Thai laws-nothing wrong with the law unless it is ignored or altered by corruption!

As far as the written tests are concerned, the tests will cover 15 topics and there will be 50 quizzes. To pass the tests, applicants must correctly answer 45 quizzes.

I assume they mean questions ??

Testing is a start... But lets face it the Thai mentality of 'solving' problems with a payment means its unlikely to do much.. There needs to be real road rule enforcement, backed up by real significant punishment.. I dont mean 400b for being over the speed limit at roadblocks, but actual moving violation stops and enforcement.

One aspect that they do seem serious about is working on the drink driving problem, the amount of people I hear who have been busted around chiang mai this year shows they actually are trying.

For those with time on their hands.

GO TO www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/road code/index.html

You will find the NZ Road Code ON LINE

Thai version of this MAY help

It's Thai attitudes that need changing not the tests. Doesn't matter what's laid down, it's getting Thais to obey the rules that's the problem. They know that you aren't supposed to drive the wrong way along a road or jump a red light but they do it anyway. What's needed is strict enforcement of laws and large fines/bans for wrongdoers. The big stick is what's needed.