Polls open in Britain's knife-edge national election

webfact

Polls open in Britain's knife-edge national election

LONDON (AP) — Polls have opened in Britain's national election, a contest that is expected to produce an ambiguous result, a period of frantic political horse-trading and a bout of national soul-searching.

Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservatives and Ed Miliband's Labour Party are running neck-and-neck, and neither looks able to win a majority of Parliament's 650 seats.

Many voters are turning elsewhere — chiefly to the separatist Scottish National Party, which will dominate north of the border, and the anti-immigrant U.K. Independence Party. UKIP is third in opinion polls but Britain's electoral system means it can win at most a handful of seats.

If no party wins outright, it may take days or weeks of negotiation to forge a workable government.

Polls are open Thursday from 7 a.m. (0600GMT) until 10 p.m. (2100GMT).

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-07

Why not tell us how you really feel about British politicians Chicog? Lol

I just happen to agree with you, in fact where I come from the "Right Horrible Prime Minister" is my MP.

Trouble is I fear UK ex-pats could be worse off if Mini-Brand and Ed <deleted> get elected.

Speaking as a Briton, they're all a bunch of scum sucking bottom feeders and I am exercising my right to not vote.

Man you got to stop sitting on the fence like that..

70% of those recently polled objected to the SNP having any veto on government policy, sadly as likely kingmaker they are likely to dictate UK government policy. Oh for proportional representation when the Tories allied with UKIP would probably squeak a majority.

I'm not familiar with the candidates, and am not British. However, Cameron and his subordinates failed to assist in the investigation of Ko Tao murder of two young Brits. It may be a minor issue compared to what Brits in general have to deal with, but to me, it's indicative of a weak character and lack of leadership qualities.

I'm not familiar with the candidates, and am not British. However, Cameron and his subordinates failed to assist in the investigation of Ko Tao murder of two young Brits. It may be a minor issue compared to what Brits in general have to deal with, but to me, it's indicative of a weak character and lack of leadership qualities.

You're not very familiar with law, sovereignty, or international diplomacy either by the look of it.

The British had no right to do anything other than make requests of the Thai authorities. The days of sending in the gunboats are long gone for ex colonial powers.

Besides which, none of us know the discussions that went on behind closed doors.

Milliband and his mob would have done no more and maybe less.

UKIP, voted last week (post)

actually I don't think the Tory /Libdem coalition have done that badly over the last 5 years, Labour would be bad news IMO, they crippled us last time and squandered what we had, the same again and a free for all, nope Id rather have Cameron as safer pair of hands if your earning...

70% of those recently polled objected to the SNP having any veto on government policy, sadly as likely kingmaker they are likely to dictate UK government policy. Oh for proportional representation when the Tories allied with UKIP would probably squeak a majority.

Well the Tories and UKIP would be more acceptable,than letting the SNP in to control Westminster,but somehow I think the SNP got a bit over excited in their claims of having the Labour Party in their pockets! Sturgeon is much like Salmond full of B*S,the outcome will be interesting,like no other election day,i'm getting the beers out,and eyes down look in!

Telegraph 10:17 PM BST

Election results 2015 UK LIVE:
"Exit polls show huge lead for Conservatives."
"Exit polls show an unexpectedly big Conservative lead. Now the counting begins and candidates discover their fates. Join us for live coverage and the results."
Good luck, you guys. thumbsup.gif

Well the Tories and UKIP would be more acceptable,than letting the SNP in to control Westminster,but somehow I think the SNP got a bit over excited in their claims of having the Labour Party in their pockets! Sturgeon is much like Salmond full of B*S,the outcome will be interesting,like no other election day,i'm getting the beers out,and eyes down look in!

Why would the Nasty Party and a loose collection of racists, homophobes and generally unpleasant bigots be more acceptable to the SNP, a progressive and thoroughly level headed and competent party? Thankfully it seems that UKIP has foundered badly and the SNP has proven itself more than anyone could dare to have hoped for - unfortunately the thorough incompetence of Labour means that the SNP will need to work even harder to limit the inequitable policies of the Tory elite.

However, it may help push the end of this accursed union even more quickly than we thought would be possible just 6 months ago.

Why would the Nasty Party and a loose collection of racists, homophobes and generally unpleasant bigots be more acceptable to the SNP, a progressive and thoroughly level headed and competent party? Thankfully it seems that UKIP has foundered badly and the SNP has proven itself more than anyone could dare to have hoped for - unfortunately the thorough incompetence of Labour means that the SNP will need to work even harder to limit the inequitable policies of the Tory elite.

However, it may help push the end of this accursed union even more quickly than we thought would be possible just 6 months ago.

You said the word 'progressive' it's become as tarnished as the word enrichment, you also followed it up with the invective so typical of modern day progressives. Anyhow it looks like Labour got absolutely nowhere, when faced with the prospect of a coalition of two parties that hate the English, their culture and anyone with aspirations to better themselves the electorate had second thoughts. Of course the opinion poles were wrong because in polite politically correct circles people are coy to admit to voting Tory, but in the privacy of the voting booth things are different.

P.s we agree on one thing, I'd be delighted to have you bunch of spiteful porridge gobblers leave the Union and once and for all end the specter of leftist sectarians ruining the Country.

Edited by Steely Dan

You said the word 'progressive' it's become as tarnished as the word enrichment, you also followed it up with the invective so typical of modern day progressives. Anyhow it looks like Labour got absolutely nowhere, when faced with the prospect of a coalition of two parties that hate the English, their culture and anyone with aspirations to better themselves the electorate had second thoughts. Of course the opinion poles were wrong because in polite politically correct circles people are coy to admit to voting Tory, but in the privacy of the voting booth things are different.

P.s we agree on one thing, I'd be delighted to have you bunch of spiteful porridge gobblers leave the Union and once and for all end the specter of leftist sectarians ruining the Country.

Please, for all our sakes, put flesh on the bones of your allegation that those who seek an independent Scotland hate the english. Please provide examples - they must be easy to find because we hear this accusation repeatedly, but never more than accusations.

Of course, your colourful description of me and my countrymen is not in the least bit invective flecked... cheesy.gif

Why would the Nasty Party and a loose collection of racists, homophobes and generally unpleasant bigots be more acceptable to the SNP, a progressive and thoroughly level headed and competent party?

<snip>

cheesy.gif Thank you so much. Made my day.

gigglem.gif

You're not very familiar with law, sovereignty, or international diplomacy either by the look of it.
Brit authorities asked to be involved with the investigation in Portugal for the girl who went missing. Permission granted. Similarly, Brit authorities collaborated with Dutch in pursuing sex offenders. Perhaps Cameron did nothing wrong in being soft and demure with Thai authorities re; the to Brits murdered at Ko Tao. If I was in his position, I would have tried to do more.

Please, for all our sakes, put flesh on the bones of your allegation that those who seek an independent Scotland hate the english. Please provide examples - they must be easy to find because we hear this accusation repeatedly, but never more than accusations.

Of course, your colourful description of me and my countrymen is not in the least bit invective flecked... cheesy.gif

Oh come come now. As sporting also rans the Scots make no attempt to conceal their delight if England get beaten at any sport, I would hazard a guess that this delight actually outweighs that experienced on the rare occasions Scotland wins at anything.

P.s the Labour wipeout at the hands of the SNP does show the democratic wishes of the Scots are for independence. I hope that wish is granted and The Scots can concentrate on being ruled by Brussels whilst the rest of the UK hopefully vote to kick Brussels into touch. Edited by Scott

Oh come come now. As sporting also rans the Scots make no attempt to conceal their delight if England get beaten at any sport, I would hazard a guess that this delight actually outweighs that experienced on the rare occasions Scotland wins at anything.

P.s the Labour wipeout at the hands of the SNP does show the democratic wishes of the Scots are for independence. I hope that wish is granted and The Scots can concentrate on being ruled by Brussels whilst the rest of the UK hopefully vote to kick Brussels into touch.

Far be it from me to suggest that your explanation is pathetic, but in your earlier post you state that we Nats hate the English then in the same post, you call us spiteful porridge gobblers. When I, in the main, ignore the laughable hypocrisy of your post and ask you to give clear examples of how we hate your country, the best you can come up with is that we don't cheer for your football team?

No. I take it back - your explanation is pathetic.