Using Google Map's To Drive around Bangkok

Well Hello!

I wanted to throw a post on about using Google maps to navigate your way around Bangkok by car. I have been using this application on my Iphone and it has been reasonably accurate. However, after dropping family off at Bangkok airport one evening, i entered the soi that i was staying in (sukhumvit soi 11), into the application and it came up with the predictable places, one being sukhumvit soi 11. So i selected the sugested predicted destination and proceeded with my journey.

After driving for a while, following the directions being spouted out by Google maps, i arrived at my destination....................... Sukhumvit soi 11, Samut Prakarn! It took me 3 hours to get home, in what should have been an hour journey at most.

Another time, my 3G package ran out on its normal usage and so it gave me a reduced speed usage. This was possibly the worst drive of my life as i ended up missing my turn off the toll way and ending up in Lad Prao in rush hour traffic. The application took me down dead end soi's and around in circles in Thong Lo! I have put this down to a delayed response on the application due to a slower bandwidth from the 3G??

So what i am after really, is some experience on the best ways to use this application. What are your experiences with using it. Is there another alternative that beats Google Maps?

I did try the iMaps but found the Google maps to be easier to use. Am i right?

All input welcome

Yes, I find it pretty good, over apple maps.

Googles view is dynamic and enlarges and contracts the view quite intuitively when apple maps will go to the lock screen and give you a little square window to use.

I do find apple maps finds a lot more places on search tho'

Hi There/.

I use Sygic now on my I-Phone so far very good? can download and pay for proper map (about 1,000 baht) and life time free updates regularly. Thai map - can store in routes prior and way points. You do not need an internet connection to use Sygic then. So far good signal strength in most places around Thailand.

The secret is to find on google maps places and add in phone prior journey going, makes life a lot easier on routes journeys you use a lot. Also add way points to go/come back the route you want and also store these in the memory.

cheers

I cant really figure out if you are joking or if you are serious. First of all the and navigator software will lead you to the address that you chose even if you think that that one is wrong. When you google an address maps will show you the overall route and there you should be able to see the destination and driving time. When I google Shukmuwit soi 11 it gives me the downtown address. Also you cant really fault the navigation software that you don’t have enough data on the phone.

Personally I use google maps for navigation on almost all my car trips. Granted I don’t live in Thailand so you cant use my experience to judge coverage. But I have found the app extremely easy to use and most of the time if you search the address and town google will find it no problems. You can also search for business and navigate to it. I Have used google maps in several European countries both in cars and on foot.

The advantages of using google maps is that the trip duration is very accurate as it has updated traffic information. In the latest version of google maps you even get lane directions on large roads.

buy a road map and work out your route before hand. the old fashioned way thumbsup.gif

I borrowed my sisters NavMan to take my mum

to her friends place, where i have never been

before, i went to the suburb then it took me

around in circles 6 times where i passed a man

mowing his lawn and finally on the 7th time i saw

the man i stopped and asked him directions, just

turn left and that's the street, why didn't i get a

road map in the first place.

When I use a calculator I still need to have a rough idea of what the answer should be. It would be daft of me simply to accept the answer the calculator provides without additional consideration or thought.

When I run a google search on a topic - the answer needs to be feasible.

And so with SatNav when it directed me through a heavily puddled and rutted muddy lane (I was in a sports car) I learned very quickly never to rely solely on the directions it puts out.

SatNav is fundamentally flawed in Thailand, addresses differ, spellings differ, post code areas are huge, traffic flow is often time variable, traffic flow changes. Thus: whenever programming the SatNav taking a quick look at the route overview is essential.

If I'm going somewhere new I'll often take a couple of mins to take a look on Google Maps, then select the location on Car SatNav.

I'd never rely 100% on my SatNav (in the Car or Google Maps) - But it does provide an excellent guide.

Locus pro on android. You can save google maps for use later (ive got a square of BKK i mapped out and downloaded about 1gig size.)

Just relying on Google maps and using 3g kills your phone bill and battery.

Google Maps is useful and all, but while using it in Switzerland, it would take weird roads that actually made the trip longer.

I've been using Here Maps that I think is made by Nokia. It was made for Windows phones which I used to have but I'm now using it on my Android as well. I'm not sure if they have it for iPhones as well. You can download maps for free and use just your GPS, saving a lot on data, particularly if you're travelling abroad. Just make sure you download the map first.

So far only one mishap with Here Maps, where it took us down a dirt road in Koh Phangan when there was an easier, newly paved road. We've used it driving a car, attached to a motorbike, directing Thai taxis, etc. In my opinion, its a lot easier to use than Google maps, but everyone has their own preferences.

Not sure if this will be helpful or not, but I use the app called Maps.me on my iphone. It doesn't require data and you can download maps from all the over the world for free. It can also navigate from point to point giving you reasonable directions, but no voice. I mainly use it when on foot walking around unfamiliar cities and it has saved me plenty of times. Also if I'm on a bus and I'm not sure where to get off but I know what area I'm heading to, it is very handy. Probably the most useful app on my phone. Might be worth a shot. Cheers.

I used google map to drive from pattaya to indera regent hotel in bangkok. It was easy and accurate excpet for the last part where it directed me to turn into a bus lane, instead of the usual roads. Overall, I would use it again unless I can find a long hair GPS.

You have to stay awake and it helps if you have some sense of direction, but in BKK you can loose a lot of time when you miss a turn.

I use a combination of:

- Google maps,

- Apple Maps,

- Nostra Map (very good point information for Thailand) and

- TSquare Traffic (good for Bangkok with traffic updates from taxis)

Sometimes 2 open 1 on my phone and1 on the ipad.

Problem I have found with google nav in Bkok is that the sois are too tight plus a lot of blockage from buildings unlike for instance using it in the west with wide streets in order. I find in Bkok it has problems telling exactly which road I am on at times.

You are aware Sukhumvit Road is over 400km long?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhumvit_Road

Ha! Ha! I did think of that when i got to soi 11 Samut Prakarn!! I have learnt i need to be completely accurate with the address. I have found using a landmark such as Asok BTS or Terminal 21 helps if you dont know the exact address, just the soi. It seems to get places like that right every time.

When I use a calculator I still need to have a rough idea of what the answer should be. It would be daft of me simply to accept the answer the calculator provides without additional consideration or thought.

When I run a google search on a topic - the answer needs to be feasible.

And so with SatNav when it directed me through a heavily puddled and rutted muddy lane (I was in a sports car) I learned very quickly never to rely solely on the directions it puts out.

SatNav is fundamentally flawed in Thailand, addresses differ, spellings differ, post code areas are huge, traffic flow is often time variable, traffic flow changes. Thus: whenever programming the SatNav taking a quick look at the route overview is essential.

If I'm going somewhere new I'll often take a couple of mins to take a look on Google Maps, then select the location on Car SatNav.

I'd never rely 100% on my SatNav (in the Car or Google Maps) - But it does provide an excellent guide.

Ye, lesson learnt............... I hear you and that is key, taking a look at the overview. I am relatively new to using the sat navigation. You live and learn!!

You have to stay awake and it helps if you have some sense of direction, but in BKK you can loose a lot of time when you miss a turn.

I use a combination of:

- Google maps,

- Apple Maps,

- Nostra Map (very good point information for Thailand) and

- TSquare Traffic (good for Bangkok with traffic updates from taxis)

Sometimes 2 open 1 on my phone and1 on the ipad.

Iv'e got to be honest, this post made me laugh!!

First the part about staying awake!! that was great. I pray to god i don't miss a turn because "I fell asleep".

1. "Why did you get lost"

2. "Can you believe it? I fell asleep again! I need to stay awake because im sick of getting lost!!"

Second, having a sense of direction is granted. But I don't live in Bangkok. I have lived there before for a couple of years, so have some sense of direction in certain areas. However, driving around Bangkok in a car is a different ball game and something i am going to have to get used to.

Finally, that is a lot of Apps you've got going on in the car there. Jesus, you better watch you don't kill somebody with all the Apps in your face! Sounds like your car resembles something like the battle ship out of the Battlestar Galactica.

Cheers for the feedback anyhow.

"All systems go captain"

I've learned the hard way too and your complaints are situation normal for Thailand.

My biggest problem with the Google maps app is what you stated, making sure you have good cell signal, because if it is too slow, the app tells you to turn or exit after you are already passed the exit.

Second biggest problem are all of the overpasses and roads running under the tollways above blocking the satellite and it loses where you are. Because sometimes you may run under a tollway for 15 minutes. Also, Thailand has exits that have 3 choices on the exit, a real tight left, a middle exit and a rightish left exit if you get my drift. The app says exit left but by the time you figure out which of the 3 you are supposed to take you must stop in the middle of the damn road to let the map adust so you can see which one.

I have found no better alternative to this app. The poster saying that he doesn't live in Thailand and it works good elsewhere.........doesn't understand that the Thai road system is a "clusterfuck". That leads to most of the problems that I have had with the App, it is impossible to "Map" these crazy roads here.

So unfortunately, I keep learning my routes the hard way.

I think half the problem is over reliance on these Apps. I don't mean to knock the OP but did you not notice you were travelling in a totally different direction and for quite some time ? Also just relying on the App may mean you were not keeping your eye out for road signs, in that area they are all in English as well as Thai.

I do use the Google maps App but only as a guidline and much prefer to try and notice landmarks on route, i find i can remember new routes easier this way.

A friend and I compared Google and my Garmin while driving from Pattaya to a hotel in Bangkok. Too much frustration with Google so it was turned off. There was an earlier question about languages, and going from English (multiple choices for accents) to Thai is simple on the Garmin. I prefer my garmin over my friend's in dash navi on his new Honda.

A friend and I compared Google and my Garmin while driving from Pattaya to a hotel in Bangkok. Too much frustration with Google so it was turned off. There was an earlier question about languages, and going from English (multiple choices for accents) to Thai is simple on the Garmin. I prefer my garmin over my friend's in dash navi on his new Honda.

Haha, Honda's Navi system on my City purchased in 2012 was a complete joke. I paid extra for the Nav system and that was the worst nav system I have ever experienced. It was difficult to use, and was way too slow in reacting to your position that in almost every instance it would show you the turn after you passed it.

It was so bad that after trying to use it 5 times I never used it again. Complete waste of money.

I sit down the night before and find my destination on my PC, using Google maps. Syncing that gets it on to my favourites on my phone, which I then use to get there. I have learnt that both my iPhone and the wife's Android overheat after a few hours of being charged / using internet and GPS simultaneously before turning themselves off. So when I get. 'after 110 Km, turn left', I turn the phone off.

Nothing worse than the phone stopping working a few hundred metres before the destination, as has happened to me.

"Your Nav system doesn't have a brain, up to you".

Been all over Thailand using Google maps.

I sit down the night before and find my destination on my PC, using Google maps. Syncing that gets it on to my favourites on my phone, which I then use to get there. I have learnt that both my iPhone and the wife's Android overheat after a few hours of being charged / using internet and GPS simultaneously before turning themselves off. So when I get. 'after 110 Km, turn left', I turn the phone off.

Nothing worse than the phone stopping working a few hundred metres before the destination, as has happened to me.

"Your Nav system doesn't have a brain, up to you".

Been all over Thailand using Google maps.

I hook the incar charger up to the phone when i am using it with the air con partially blowing on the dash. Does the job for me. Once it gets to 100% i will take it off so i dont fry the battery then recharge at the 20% remaining warning.