how to send a text to a US mobile number for free?

stevehaigh

i'm moving to the US for a while and will have a US mobile phone. if anyone needs to send me a text, what's the best way? should they do it directly from their phone and if so, how much are they charged? is there a way to send a message via a web browser for free?

sorry if this is a stupid question, i just don't know, i only ever use email most of the time but where i'm going in the US does not have internet coverage

steve

They are in Thailand in areas where internet doesnt live. They cant post right now.

No need to turn this into a US bashing thread on the first post. Areas in every country in the world that has no internet access. Come on give it a break

Edited by 2fishin2

where i'm going in the US does not have internet coverage

Wow, where are the Americans now that say that Thailand is 50 year behind.

Yes there are many.

http://www.afreesms.com/intl/united-states

thanks, i just found that too. have you used it? any catch?

yep, the mobile phone system is pretty f'ed up in the US, no real pay as you go that i can find. but the USA is a big place and in the west there is a lot of space and not many people so its not surprising there is no coverage in the mountains

i just tried sending an sms to my son in the US, about 30 mins ago using afreesms and it didn't work (yet). it said it worked on my end but he didn't receive the text.

i'll look into google voice account, never heard of it

thx

My wife was using the Line app when she was in Europe to message and make a voice call to me in Thailand. Maybe that can be used...?

line needs an internet connection and the whole point is i will not have internet everywhere but may have basic cell coverage for sms

If you have cell coverage you have internet, I believe.

i think it depends on the plan, i may have to pay more if i connect to the net, so an sms first to tell me if its urgent may be preferable

plus, an sms i should get right away. an email i have to log in and i don't plan to do that unless i really need to

Edited by stevehaigh

SMS arrive quickly......or never.......or the next day.....

nothing is for sure !

I also use a cheap 2-3 cent plan to call back to Thailand from the USA, you can call from a USA landline or cell phone,

How long are you going to be in the USA ?

I use pre-paid service (AT&T) in the US, and it ain't cheap: 10 cents a minute for phone (whether I made the call or someone called me, same price) and 20 cents for an SMS (incoming or outgoing). But for simply keeping an active number it's the best deal I could find; I put $25 into the account and I'm active for three months. If I want to keep the $$ I have accumulated I have to 're-charge' with another $25 before that three month period expires. This is a plain phone, nothing 'smart' (meaning no internet).