Expats Here on a Permanent Basis: How did you pull it off?

Also unfortunately for Americans they've brought out FATCA..foreign account tax compliance act..

All foreign banks are being forced to report Americans who bank with them to the IRS.

They will be taxed not by the country's in which they make their money, but by their citizenship. They will always have to pay the American rate of tax. If they live in a low tax country, the amount of tax paid to that country will be deducted off of their higher American rate.

It's a headache for the foreign banks & are turning accounts down, refusing mortgages etc of American citizens.

Land of the free, the biggest joke ever told.

Would of said lie, but religion got that one.

I have 5 bank accounts in Thailand - none turned down because I'm an American. I also have a number of accounts in other countries also not turned down. Sounds to me more like the old song of anti Americanism rather than any fact. Why don't you list banks in Thailand that are turning down American bank accounts? Or were you telling porkies? Ya, that's what I thought.
Look it up yourself Holmer, read Forbes.

The deadline is 2016 but the foreign banks are starting to come into compliance now.

It's just not that hard to see if it's a porky or not.

You may not be able to type soon with the weight of them shackles.

" all Thai commercial banks are FATCA compliant banks. They have entered into agreements to comply with FATCA, and will collect information from 1 July 2014 onwards which support identification of customers' as either U.S. individuals or U.S. owned juristic status"

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/Documents/Site%20Documents/Expat%20Articles/FATCA.pdf

In fact you are just another anti American poster trying to start nasty rumors about Thai banks. If you were posting about banks of another country try posting on a forum about that country as this is a Thai forum.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also unfortunately for Americans they've brought out FATCA..foreign account tax compliance act..

All foreign banks are being forced to report Americans who bank with them to the IRS.

They will be taxed not by the country's in which they make their money, but by their citizenship. They will always have to pay the American rate of tax. If they live in a low tax country, the amount of tax paid to that country will be deducted off of their higher American rate.

It's a headache for the foreign banks & are turning accounts down, refusing mortgages etc of American citizens.

I have 5 bank accounts in Thailand - none turned down because I'm an American. I also have a number of accounts in other countries also not turned down. Sounds to me more like the old song of anti Americanism rather than any fact. Why don't you list banks in Thailand that are turning down American bank accounts? Or were you telling porkies? Ya, that's what I thought.

The deadline is 2016 but the foreign banks are starting to come into compliance now.

" all Thai commercial banks are FATCA compliant banks. They have entered into agreements to comply with FATCA, and will collect information from 1 July 2014 onwards which support identification of customers' as either U.S. individuals or U.S. owned juristic status"

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/Documents/Site%20Documents/Expat%20Articles/FATCA.pdf

In fact you are just another anti American poster trying to start nasty rumors about Thai banks. If you were posting about banks of another country try posting on a forum about that country as this is a Thai forum.

You confirmed the 'porkies' I mentioned & I never put any rumour out about any Thai bank, only highlighted government policy towards American expats.

Anti-American...my sister is an American citizen & her husband well to do within the American military. I don't love them any less nor dislike you (for your nationality) any more.

The topic about how expats make it work here, one hurdle...if your American. No flag burning here...

You confirmed the 'porkies' I mentioned & I never put any rumour out about any Thai bank, only highlighted government policy towards American expats.

Anti-American...my sister is an American citizen & her husband well to do within the American military. I don't love them any less nor dislike you (for your nationality) any more.

The topic about how expats make it work here, one hurdle...if your American. No flag burning here...

Why do it? Unless I misunderstand you. There is no hurdle for Americans. All Thai commercial banks are FACTA compliant.

A simple apology would be nice and that you made a mistake and there are no problems with FACTA for Americans banking in Thailand. It's one form, that's all. No big deal.

It doesn't affect me so haven't picked the bones out of it as I do my own tax legislation.

But as I've read it in Forbes & other sources it will or has had an impact on American expats as I mentioned.

Individually I don't know.

If the American government can do it so might others follow.

It's not just the American shackles I have an issue with.

I'll wait & see how it developes.

It doesn't affect me so haven't picked the bones out of it as I do my own tax legislation.

But as I've read it in Forbes & other sources it will or has had an impact on American expats as I mentioned.

Individually I don't know.

If the American government can do it so might others follow.

It's not just the American shackles I have an issue with.

I'll wait & see how it developes.

Where did you read it will or has had an impact on Americans in Thailand?

You are wrong. Incorrect and you persist. It is not developing it has stopped. Thailand became FACTA compliant in 2014. Done, finished.

You are wrong. Tried to start a rumor and failed. Admit it and apologize.

Below is the proof of your error. Stop the mischief.

http://www.bangkokba...icles/FATCA.pdf

80 countries join fight to end banking secrecy

http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/germany-oecd-fraud.yho

Mind your own business especially when you are wrong.

Yer yer, I'm not getting into a link battle with you. Can do my own reading which I have.

What I know is America has it's strangle hold on your earnings at their rate wherever you may be by citizenship & the only way out of that is relinquish citizenship.

I also know (this one according to Forbes) that American expats (no country mentioned) are being refused accounts, loans etc because of this legislation.

Mind my own business? What am I commenting on here, America or North Korea? Ashamed that your government hounds you? What? Say what I like along as its within the bounds of truth. Which it is.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Came here a long way short of the traditional retirement age. I'm able to remain in the country on extension of stay due to marriage. Support myself with money I earned back home, topped up with the occasional brief trip back there when there's a lucrative freelance job to be had.

Hang on . . . how's that, then? You stay here on a marriage extension but I'm sure I've heard you say your wife isn't Thai.

Can you elaborate?

Yes, both those things are correct.

So how can you remain on a marriage extension if she's not Thai or a Thai citizen?

Because I can.

It appears some members forget some people have wives who have good jobs.

OB

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Came here a long way short of the traditional retirement age. I'm able to remain in the country on extension of stay due to marriage. Support myself with money I earned back home, topped up with the occasional brief trip back there when there's a lucrative freelance job to be had.

Hang on . . . how's that, then? You stay here on a marriage extension but I'm sure I've heard you say your wife isn't Thai.

Can you elaborate?

Yes, both those things are correct.

So how can you remain on a marriage extension if she's not Thai or a Thai citizen?

Because I can.

It appears some members forget some people have wives who have good jobs.

OB

Yes you're quite right, OB.

One can only wonder why SB found it necessary to be so cagey about it.