E-commerce

rono

I plan to open a real shop next year and have already bought some goods to sell. I am now thinking about setting up a website and to start selling online with cart, receiving payments by credit card and or paypall (or others)

I am not an expert in webdesign and surely not regarding the cart-payment systems, have done some research on tv but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

Are there any companies or programs that allow me to easily set up an online store?

Ps. i am in thailand

rono

I plan to open a real shop next year and have already bought some goods to sell. I am now thinking about setting up a website and to start selling online with cart, receiving payments by credit card and or paypall (or others)

I am not an expert in webdesign and surely not regarding the cart-payment systems, have done some research on tv but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

Are there any companies or programs that allow me to easily set up an online store?

Ps. i am in thailand

rono

I found this when i was looking

Ecombot

Also if you use 3ix.org they have Agora as a free plug in with your hosting

There are several options. You can use free opensource e-commerce solutions. Most of these require PHP and MySQL support. Software is free.

For webhosting you will need hosting (including an SSL certificate if you want to accept credit card payments, and a merchant account). Linux webhosting is preferred for PHP/MySQL based software. Windows is better when choosing and ASP application

It could be up and running in a few hours actually once your hosting is setup.

PM me for details if you like, there's a bit more to it :-)

There are several options. You can use free opensource e-commerce solutions. Most of these require PHP and MySQL support. Software is free.

Be careful once you start using MySQL commercialy it is no longer free you have to pay for a license, its not real cheap either.

Be careful once you start using MySQL commercialy it is no longer free you have to pay for a license, its not real cheap either.

Yes, that's an interesting point.

I you host your website somewhere and pay for hosting that includes PHP support and x-number of MySQL databases, who is actually using it commercially?

The customer using the facilities that he pays for, or the hosting company that provides them!?

I don't know to be honest!

Edited: need to study this one I guess: http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensi...ce-license.html

I think the key is in the GPL license under whch most open source applications are released.

Edited by cnxpat

Yes, that's an interesting point.

I you host your website somewhere and pay for hosting that includes PHP support and x-number of MySQL databases, who is actually using it commercially?

The customer using the facilities that he pays for, or the hosting company that provides them!?

I don't know to be honest!

Its the Owner of the web site who directly accesses the databases, these costs can be passed on in the way of markup to the end customer.

A lot of them have rules like the number of people using the data too, not connections into the DB, so if you think its a single connection from the web to the DB and that needs one license its not.

many useful hints, makes it even more difficult and confusing for a non expert like me.

have checked ecobot, looks good but if you have many products like i will have it becomes quite expensive unless you make big sale volumes.

any of you posters do run an online shop? I read that Thai webhost (tv sponsor) can offer cart, is somebody using their services?

rono

100% Wrong, if you're using MySQL for the web in a typical Apache - PHP - MySQL setup its free, as it's GPL.

See here.

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/

You can OPTIONALLY purchase a commercial license if you want support , services etc.

100% Wrong, if you're using MySQL for the web in a typical Apache - PHP - MySQL setup its free, as it's GPL.

See here.

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/

You can OPTIONALLY purchase a commercial license if you want support , services etc.

has that changed? as they use to require a license once it was used commerially?

has that changed? as they use to require a license once it was used commerially?

No.

It's only compulsory to buy a license if you distribute MySQL with your software product and you don't provide source code.

Read the page I linked to.

the best thing is make sure your hosting company offers

the Linux/mySQL/PHP set, most do,

but also the Cpanel (control panel) interface for clients like you.

the Cpanel is easy to use and you can make your own databases,

install shopping carts, chat, bulletin boards like this one, and many other controls.

all comes free with your hosting package.

you may need a freind/consultant who knows a bit to set it all up,

but a lot cheaper than commercial options.

anyone experience with selling on ebay? They have several options, selling a few things, open an ebay store,open your own store, its not free but they have 1000's visitors per day, your products are seen all over the world...

its also easy to start, no hassle with domains, hosting, shopping cart, getting paid, webdesign, just wondering what's the best, if I do it on my own I have to create traffic to my site, if I go with ebay the traffic is already there, probably best is a combination of both, your own store with own domain and using ebay as additional way to sell.

you cant access other peoples Cpanel without username and password, just a hint.

both Thaiweb and 3ix look like they are resellers of Go-Daddy, all have the same interfaces, but 3ix is a lot cheaper

Thaiwebhost is not a Reseller... has it own servers.

Bapak