Motor Racing Legend Peter Brock Dead

TizMe

All Aussies living in Thailand will want to know about this. (Hence, Thailand related)..

MOTOR racing legend Peter Brock has been killed in an accident while taking part in the Targa West rally in Western Australia, motor sport officials have confirmed.

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) said in a statement the accident occurred about 1.50pm (AEST).

Sixty-one-year-old Brock's co-driver, believed to Mick Hone, has been taken to hospital in a stable condition.

CAMS said it would conduct a full investigation into the incident.

In the meantime, CAMS and event officials were working with the relevant civil authorities.

"On behalf of the motor sport community, CAMS offers its sincere sympathy to Peter's family and many friends," the statement said.

The circumstances of the accident remain unclear.

The Targa West takes place over four days and is divided into two categories, competition and challenge, the latter catering for relatively standard specification road cars.

The rally began in Perth yesterday.

Brock, from Melbourne, was married with three children.

In a stellar career, he became Australia's best known motor sport personality and a dominant figure in the sport.

Brock won the Bathurst 1000, Australia's most prominent domestic motorsport event, nine times through the 1970s and 80s.

He won six Bathurst 1000 wins in seven years, including his victory in the 1979 event, which he won by a record six laps.

He retired from full-time driving in 1997.

Since 1997, he had made two return visits to Bathurst in 2002 and 2004 and returned to top-level touring car racing as a team owner of "Team Brock" in 2002 in the V8 Supercar category. A year later he sold his share in the team to Kees Weel.

In recent years, he occasionally competed in various motorsport events such as the Targa Tasmania.

Motorsport legend Peter Brock killed in crash

UPDATED 6.00pm Friday September 8, 2006

Australian motorsport legend Peter Brock has been killed in a rally crash in Western Australia, motor sports officials have confirmed

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) said Brock died when the car carrying him and his co-driver crashed during the Targa rally.

The co-driver is in hospital in a stable condition.

"On behalf of the motor sport community, CAMS offers its sincere sympathy to Peter's family and many friends," the statement said.

Australian Associated Press reported Brock, 61, was driving with Mick Hone in a Daytona Coupe.

The circumstances of the accident remain unclear.

Brock, of Melbourne, is survived by his wife and three children.

- NZHERALD STAFF

Amazing guy and what he did for motorsport, from his early days in austins, Torana's then Commodores, he even raced at LeMans if my memory serves me correct and does he still hold most wins at bathurst?

RIP Brocky

Two Aussie legends in one week? they say things come in threes dont they? Lets hope not :o

Amazing guy and what he did for motorsport, from his early days in austins, Torana's then Commodores, he even raced at LeMans if my memory serves me correct and does he still hold most wins at bathurst?

RIP Brocky

Two Aussie legends in one week? they say things come in threes dont they? Lets hope not :o

9 victories at Bathurst

Some of his History

The most successful driver at Bathurst is "King of the Mountain" Peter Brock, who has nine victories to his credit (1972, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1987). Jim Richards is close behind with seven victories (1978, 1979, 1980, 1991, 1992, 1998 and 2002), and also holds the record for the most starts (34 as of 2005) by an individual at this event. Larry Perkins is the third most successful driver at Bathurst, with six victories (1982, 1983, 1984, 1993, 1995 and 1997). Interestingly, both Richards and Perkins have shared some of their victories as co-drivers with Peter Brock.

Peter Brock

Sad news indeed, I just hope they name a corner or a straight after PB on the Mountain.

R.I.P. Peter Brock. :o

I saw Bob Jane talking about him on the news..... I didn't know BJ was still around......

Another legend in the sport!