Phuket tourism chief in street publicity to restore tourism confidence

Lite Beer

Phuket tourism chief in street publicity to restore tourism confidence

Darawan Naknakhon

1431235482_1.jpg

Santi Pawai greets tourists in Patong.

PHUKET: The island’s tourism and sports promotion boss hit the streets of Patong yesterday as part of the latest government publicity campaign to restore confidence among tourists.

Phuket Tourism and Sport office chief, Santi Pawai, was shadowed by local media as he greeted tourists on Bangla Rd, passing out maps and flyers containing information about safety protocol and grievances and complaint outlets for tourists in need.

The campaign is in line with the government’s policy to position Thailand as the “Tourism Capital of Asia” and target to raise B2.2 trillion in revenue from tourism this year.

Prior to the street campaign, the chief had earlier spoken at a booth at Jungceylon Shopping Centre, in which the chief promoted the Tourism Assistance Centre.

Though the TAC has an office at the Phuket Airport, tourists in need across the kingdom are advised to call the Bangkok office on 02-134-3077.

Similar government-sponsored publicity events were held in 11 other key tourist centres across Thailand yesterday, including, Bangkok, Pattaya, Samui, and Chiang Mai, among them.

Thailand’s tourism safety record has been the subject of frequent negative press in recent times, with persisting incidents, including scams, robberies, boat and bus accidents, rapes and other physical assaults on tourists.

Meanwhile, many local tourist businesses are facing reduced bookings and income this low season.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourism-chief-in-street-publicity-to-restore-tourism-confidence-52242.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-10

Well if that picture doesn't get them flocking back nothing will, Good idea to take the snap outside a shop that looks to be selling plastic crap with a dirty uneven and probably broken awning. The "Wiring around the lamppost is also an attractive feature

*Phones Phuket Tours

Quote "Thailand’s tourism safety record has been the subject of frequent negative press in recent times, with persisting incidents, including scams, robberies, boat and bus accidents, rapes and other physical assaults on tourists."

And what is being done ?

Quote " passing out maps and flyers containing information about safety protocol and grievances and complaint outlets for tourists in need." cheesy.gif

More "Thainess" !!

Well if that picture doesn't get them flocking back nothing will, Good idea to take the snap outside a shop that looks to be selling plastic crap with a dirty uneven and probably broken awning. The "Wiring around the lamppost is also an attractive feature

*Phones Phuket Tours

This is my main reservation about Thailand right ahead of lack of law and order. The place is often so dirty. There is also stuff spilled in the street. I wonder if the merchants have ever noticed those dirty awnings because if they have they must not care.

apart from all the bad things here including infrastructure safety corruption extortion exchange rates a serious drug problem etc Thai greed has destroyed this country, the unsustainable price increases of food and beverages including alcohol has gone through the roof and made Thailand not so cheap anymore, there are better alternatives that have emerged over recent years not only in Asia but other parts of the world, European destinations are becoming cheaper and as they are more accessible are becoming popular again.

I predicted this several years ago and used the term - Thailand needs to hit the reset button and start over, the reality is that beer (as an example) should not be anywhere the near the price it is in the west and those establishments that are charging over 200 baht for a beer (as an example) really need to rethink their price structure, in Pattaya there are areas now that serve beer for less than 60 baht and they are thriving while other areas are going down the toilet because they have no clue or are being forced through price fixing rackets to sell their drinks at elevated prices, walking street - soi 6 - drinking street being fine examples, the typical business failure when customers dwindle is to put up prices when in fact all that does is expedite their demise, it is harder to retrieve lost customers, typically once they move on they will not come back simply because by nature we are creatures of habit - the key is keeping your customer base happy in all areas of what you provide - service - facilities - pricing must be better than the rest - simple as that, yes I know this is not about Pattaya but I see the same things in Phuket and other tourist areas in the country that I have visited - greed greed greed greed

Over the years the country as a whole should have been putting 5-10% of its tourist revenue back in to develop the tourist areas but instead they grabbed it and greed prevailed. They should have been controlling the rampant abuse of tourists everything from transport mafias, double pricing - tourist safety to jetski extortion rackets but no they allowed it to flourish and it has become so entrenched now they have problems stopping it. No past government has be willing or motivated to take action because they themselves and their respective mafia organisations all have fingers in the cookie jar, only now are we actually seeing some positive action to break the local cartels and stamp them out

Thailand has lost its way - reset button

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

apart from all the bad things here including infrastructure safety corruption extortion exchange rates a serious drug problem etc Thai greed has destroyed this country, the unsustainable price increases of food and beverages including alcohol has gone through the roof and made Thailand not so cheap anymore, there are better alternatives that have emerged over recent years not only in Asia but other parts of the world, European destinations are becoming cheaper and as they are more accessible are becoming popular again.

I predicted this several years ago and used the term - Thailand needs to hit the reset button and start over, the reality is that beer (as an example) should not be anywhere the near the price it is in the west and those establishments that are charging over 200 baht for a beer (as an example) really need to rethink their price structure, in Pattaya there are areas now that serve beer for less than 60 baht and they are thriving while other areas are going down the toilet because they have no clue or are being forced through price fixing rackets to sell their drinks at elevated prices, walking street - soi 6 - drinking street being fine examples, the typical business failure when customers dwindle is to put up prices when in fact all that does is expedite their demise, it is harder to retrieve lost customers, typically once they move on they will not come back simply because by nature we are creatures of habit - the key is keeping your customer base happy in all areas of what you provide - service - facilities - pricing must be better than the rest - simple as that, yes I know this is not about Pattaya but I see the same things in Phuket and other tourist areas in the country that I have visited - greed greed greed greed

Over the years the country as a whole should have been putting 5-10% of its tourist revenue back in to develop the tourist areas but instead they grabbed it and greed prevailed. They should have been controlling the rampant abuse of tourists everything from transport mafias, double pricing - tourist safety to jetski extortion rackets but no they allowed it to flourish and it has become so entrenched now they have problems stopping it. No past government has be willing or motivated to take action because they themselves and their respective mafia organisations all have fingers in the cookie jar, only now are we actually seeing some positive action to break the local cartels and stamp them out

Agree totally , I've had a few Rants on a similar vein myself,

"Thailand’s tourism safety record has been the subject of frequent negative press in recent times, with persisting incidents, including scams, robberies, boat and bus accidents, rapes and other physical assaults on tourists." I am sorry Sir but you advertantly forgot MURDER. I guess it was just and oversight I am sure. wai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Thailand’s tourism safety record has been the subject of frequent negative press in recent times, with persisting incidents, including scams, robberies, boat and bus accidents, rapes and other physical assaults on tourists." I am sorry Sir but you advertantly forgot MURDER. I guess it was just and oversight I am sure. wai.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

HEY, there weren't THAT many murders, and they falsely accused caught the perpetrators, yes? I don't mind getting murdered as long as they capture the scapegoats criminals. And I'm a fat bald guy so you'll NEVER catch me in a bikini . . . clap2.gifcheesy.gif

You can't "reset" greed in Thailand.

Once a Thai is used a certain amount of money - they will never settle for less.

The tsunami was the closest we had to a "reset" on Phuket, and look at the place now - worse than ever.

Edited by NamKangMan

Almost too stupid to comment on - the guy must be missing some braincells doing this in Bangla road or maybe he think tourists are tools like ... you know WHO ... ! He could start to make the f...... police arrest the idiots that carry lizards and loris around and have clueless tourists (if any left) taken pic with them

Edited by Johnny S

*Phones Phuket Tours

This is my main reservation about Thailand right ahead of lack of law and order. The place is often so dirty. There is also stuff spilled in the street. I wonder if the merchants have ever noticed those dirty awnings because if they have they must not care.

they seem to spend Bugger all on tourist infrastructure or even street cleaners. When I took Mrs and Kids to London for the first time we stayed in the west end where they clean the streets with jet washers every morning 3am ish. My Mrs though it was great and tells all her mates that in london they wash the streets, Didn't tell her that where I come from in London they only collect the rubbish once a fortnight.

My point being they should treat tourist areas better than other area as they create a tremendous amount of revenue

Edited by ExPratt