Video: Have shakedowns on foreigners by Bangkok cops resumed?

pinkpanther99

Why do people think they have the right to 1.) film someone without permission and 2.) question and badger and film the police? The guy deserved to be put face down into the pavement.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to video law enforcement officers who stop them? And if the police stop someone, don't they have the right to question why they're stopped? Not specifically referring to this video (although I can't work out if the guy is dumb or smart for using words like 'request' which someone with a poor grasp of English will have no chance of understanding, which of course renders the whole dialogue pointless- but maybe that was the point).

Have to say I disagree with you. I think people should be allowed to ask the police why they've been stopped. And if they feel they've been stopped without a good reason I think they should be allowed to film the encounter. I guess some people are more in favour of a police state type approach though.

As far as I know there is no 1st amendment in Thailand and from what I have seen of America, it is more of a police state than Thailand. Mr pompous is lucky he is still standing.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is a bit whiny (especially the reference to the USA) and a bit too loud, but I like his style in general. Stop and searches are illegal without reasonable suspicion (whatever that means).

'searches are not permitted without probable cause and suspicion that someone is in possession of something illegal' - http://asiancorrespondent.com/128988/bangkok-shakedown-tourists-report-increased-harassment-by-police/

If everyone was assertive, filmed the encounter and uploaded to Youtube, maybe the police would concentrate on doing real police work not shaking down farang for bribes.

If everyone was assertive, filmed the encounter and uploaded to Youtube, maybe the police would concentrate on doing real police work not shaking down farang for bribes.

If I ever got pulled in BKK, I wouldn't be sticking my iPhone in the officers faces. It's surely going to aggravate them, isn't it? Then we're down to who's intimidating who?

Respect and courtesy would see me on my way in no time. Think about it.

Edited by wooloomooloo

It's possible to politely ask to film the encounter.

At least I'd feign respect - why would you respect police doing an unlawful stop and search? Not talking about vehicle stops at a signposted checkpoint with a senior officer present, those are lawful.

The cops look pissed....lol

more like confused! and the American did not speak Thai or admit he could speak thai forcing the cop to either try english or move on! good move! even though i speak a little thai i always start in english with them to see if they are half smart.

Does speaking English makes them smart?gigglem.gif

I think smart would be to speak Thai, even if its little, because it shows you are not a tourist, and chances are would be harder to shakedownthumbsup.gif

In this particular instance it's not clear whether this was a stop and search.

I wouldn't have been too bothered if the scrawny little American was roughed up a little and his brainless mate with the phone, you know, a bit of pushing and shoving until the little oiks decided on a more peaceful path and the phone ultimately smashed, and they would have backed down if it came to it.

Not easy leaving your western sensibilities at home, but when you've met the equivalent Thai sensibilities that it becomes abundantly clear why you should.

Edited by wooloomooloo

I wouldn't have been too bothered if the scrawny little American was roughed up a little and his brainless mate with the phone, you know, a bit of pushing and shoving until the little oiks decided on a more peaceful path and the phone ultimately smashed, and they would have backed down if it came to it.

Not easy leaving your western sensibilities at home, but when you've met the equivalent Thai sensibilities that it becomes abundantly clear why you should.

It was his 16 year old son he was with.

Really? Got absolute proof of that?

Nonetheless, great role model the father is if that's the case.

If you have a cellphone with a data connection (and who doesn't these days?), you should install Bambuser or a similar app...it automatically streams and archives video as you record it.

That way, when you're stopped by a cop, you just open the app and start taping. Even if they confiscate your phone, the video (up to that point at least!) will already be online and you can share it with social media sites later. If your Thai is good enough, you can explain this to the cops as you start taping, which may well cause them to end the harassment right there, since their harassment of you has already been archived online...you can tell them, "I'm going now, and as soon as I can't see you any more, I will delete the video..." or something to that effect.

Steve Herman @W7VOA

Two cops stopped to try to question me & my 16 y.o. son while we were walking on our street, Soi Sukhumvit 23. http://t.co/5nQYThGuzU

Steve Herman @W7VOA

Two cops stopped to try to question me & my 16 y.o. son while we were walking on our street, Soi Sukhumvit 23. http://t.co/5nQYThGuzU

And, what is your point? I'm not impressed in the slightest.

Steve Herman @W7VOA

And, what is your point? I'm not impressed in the slightest.

You were advocating that he should be 'roughed up a little' and i was pointing out it was a 16 year old kid you were talking about.

As for his behaviour, it was well over the top and, had it been me with my daughter with me, i certainly would not get confrontational whatever the situation was.

Obviously no one has absolute proof of anything, pedantic line of debate there, but as posted it's in the video description.

He also wrote that he was stopped for no reason, so it's a stop and search. Although he talked himself out of being stopped by standing his ground, hats off to him.

Pretty sick, warped version of Thai apologism to wish a fellow expat roughed up and his property damaged, when it's been clarified by police chiefs that streetside stops without proper suspicion are unlawful.

Edited by jspill

OK lets move on, we have a chap pulled over by the RTP, for in his opinion, no reason. We have the Officers Name Tag, the Reg of the motorcycle. No date stamp on the video, but, never mind.

As a "Citizen of the USA" and a card carrying member of the legitimate "Press", I would assume he has made a formal complaint......................

Have to agree with , if this was an American city, the guy would likely be cuffed face down on the pavement in no time flat for talking as aggressively and confrontationally to officers as he did.

That doesn't make it right, of course, but there's not any suggestion of a shakedown in the video.

In less visible and public circumstances I'd say the American, by challenging the authority of RTP officers, would have run the serious risk of having his phone smashed, being roughed up a little and spending a few days at the King's pleasure, with a large contribution to the RTP's welfare fund at the end of it.

He got lucky, IMO.

I agree with Asdecas - We all know how aggressive the US cops are - videos are all over the web that show this, including videos that show the cops infringing the rights of individuals. I can understand the American being aggressive because he is programmed that way - it is the only way in which a white guy can interact with police officers in the USA. (A black man should put his hands in the air and keep repeating, "My hands are up - don't shoot."

But in more civilised countries, when the police stop you to check something, like ID or politely ask a question, you politely comply.

I somehow doubt that this pair of numpties would be up to forcing a pavement piss test on a pair of foreigners let alone extracting any cash from them.

Why do people think they have the right to 1.) film someone without permission and 2.) question and badger and film the police? The guy deserved to be put face down into the pavement.

I think the "filming" kept this situation well under control. Filming has certainly been proven to reduce incidents of heavy handed cops in North America.

I think the "filming" kept this situation well under control. Filming has certainly been proven to reduce incidents of heavy handed cops in North America.

The police stops in Bangkok are a major pain in the arse, but fortunately not in the same league as those that some have to put up with in the US.

These two foreigners are two morons in my book. Do you know what happens if you stay speaking Japanese to two cops in NYC who have stopped you to see your papers? They will tell you: speak English you ass&$;:/! These two are lucky the officers were too mild and polite!

Without a date, an exact location and some context- it's just another video on Youtube.

judging from the appearance of the cars going by in the background it must be sometime in the 21st century......

These two foreigners are two morons in my book. Do you know what happens if you stay speaking Japanese to two cops in NYC who have stopped you to see your papers? They will tell you: speak English you ass&$;:/! These two are lucky the officers were too mild and polite!

For your info, English just happens to be the Language that is most recognized as the language that would be most understood in most civilized part of the world (except in Britain where they speak something nobody understands). The AEC actually has as an agenda that all participants should communicate in English, that is why the Thai government has this agenda to improve Engrish teaching in schools (and as usual nothing has happened but at least there was the mandatory announcement on the crack down on not teaching Engrish good enough in schools).

Now you come as a tourist to a country that has been a tourist destination for English speaking people for about 30 years or more, you walk down the street and come across two police officers who have just rudimentary understanding of any other Language but Thai????

What does that tell ya about the dumb <deleted> that control Thailand....????

I always challenge these retarded and I always win, because compared to most cowards that they meet daily they don't want to take the risk with me...

There is a facebook group to complain (found on this forum)

https://www.facebook.com/thailand.police.harassment

Do tell ,,, sounds like a fascinating story .. you have enough run ins with the police to have a track record?

... and in these confrontaions, let me get this straight, you come at the police with the attitude you have here, disrespect them, bully them ... and they turn tail? These Policemen, who carry their own personal side arms, and are only one click north of being actual criminals themselves ... back down and do not "...want to take the risk with you."

The Thai Police. And you are a foreigner?

Such a good story. Tell us the one about the time you killed Bin Laden with a table spoon, or the time you told Putin to kiss your bottom.

Pure Rubbish.

For your info, English just happens to be the Language that is most recognized as the language that would be most understood in most civilized part of the world (except in Britain where they speak something nobody understands). The AEC actually has as an agenda that all participants should communicate in English, that is why the Thai government has this agenda to improve Engrish teaching in schools (and as usual nothing has happened but at least there was the mandatory announcement on the crack down on not teaching Engrish good enough in schools).

Now you come as a tourist to a country that has been a tourist destination for English speaking people for about 30 years or more, you walk down the street and come across two police officers who have just rudimentary understanding of any other Language but Thai????

What does that tell ya about the dumb <deleted> that control Thailand....????

As a spokesperson for the English language, you may want to study it a bit more.

Have to agree with , if this was an American city, the guy would likely be cuffed face down on the pavement in no time flat for talking as aggressively and confrontationally to officers as he did.

That doesn't make it right, of course, but there's not any suggestion of a shakedown in the video.

In less visible and public circumstances I'd say the American, by challenging the authority of RTP officers, would have run the serious risk of having his phone smashed, being roughed up a little and spending a few days at the King's pleasure, with a large contribution to the RTP's welfare fund at the end of it.

He got lucky, IMO.

Just proves what a pernicious . In an area well-known for police shakedowns against random foreigners, I think the guy did an admirable job of thwarting these two morons. No doubt, you would have tried your bargirl Thai on them, and reached into your wallet for whatever you had on you, while trying to pee in the cup in broad daylight.

The comparison to what might have happened in the US is ludicrous at best, since cops can not stop you without reasonable articulable suspicion, even in New York, these days.

Love these 'law and order' types, always pining for Daddy's stern hand....

In basicly all civilized and non-civilized (such as Thailand) countries in the world you have the right to film who you want on public property. This right extends to filming public officals such as the police and so on. Now, if a country has banned filming in public that country should be categorised together with cesspools such as North Korea & Co.

It's quite amazing that many people actually believe they have some kind of RIGHT to tell other people what they are doing on public areas.

He got lucky, IMO.

I agree with Asdecas - We all know how aggressive the US cops are - videos are all over the web that show this, including videos that show the cops infringing the rights of individuals. I can understand the American being aggressive because he is programmed that way - it is the only way in which a white guy can interact with police officers in the USA. (A black man should put his hands in the air and keep repeating, "My hands are up - don't shoot."

But in more civilised countries, when the police stop you to check something, like ID or politely ask a question, you politely comply.

I somehow doubt that this pair of numpties would be up to forcing a pavement piss test on a pair of foreigners let alone extracting any cash from them.

No, in a civilised country you do not have to provide an ID if you are stopped while walking /driving is different) without reasonable suspicion of have committed or is about to commit a crime. This kind of mentality "oh oh oh, the police told me to lick my boots so i did it" is what's wrong with societies in the west.

I agree, if a UK or US cop stopped you then I reckon you'd adhere to what they wanted without trying to big yourself up

If the bib do harass & single out tourists/farangs then that needs sorting also.

Respect deserves respect imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk